Ants in coop

RCMomto4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
As the summer heats up I've noticed lines of ants going into my coop. We have the base of our house sprayed for ants but nothing where the chickens are allowed to be. I don't like the idea of ants inside with the chickens----Is there anything anyone recommends to keep ants out? They don't eat them---darn it!

Janet

The best thing I have found is to use Basic H. It was originally made over 50 years ago as a cleaning agent and is still around today. Although it wasn't made to kill ants, I have found that it kills them instantly! I've been told that it does that by penetrating their exoskeletons and drowning them.

No running to another nest, or worries that it won't kill the Queen! In fact, I have timed it... only about 5 seconds after it hits them and their dead!

It is 100% nontoxic so it won't hurt to be sprayed around the chicks or even near water. You just mix 1/4 teaspoon of it in 16 oz of water so it is very cheap. A 16 oz bottle of Basic H makes 380 bottles of it so it only costs about 3 cents a bottle and you will always have it handy!

I always keep a bottle ready. It’s literally the best thing I have ever found and will never use anything else!
Here's is my website where you can learn more about it: www.help-me-get-rid-of-ants.com.

This is a great thread! I will definately be using DE. I have never tried using AMDRO that way but it sounds like a great idea. I wonder if Basic H works on wasps as well.

When we first got them we had yellow jackets drinking the chicks water. That freaked my wife out, but one of the chicks caught one of the wasps and they all started fighting over it until they pulled it apart and ate the pieces. I love chicks!

Yes DE in the coop and run will help allot and AMDRO outside the run, we do not like the idea of chickens getting to it either so we use a small plastic container buried in the ground a little bit with a few pencil size holes for the ants to get to the AMDRO. They take it home and everyone dies. Been using it for years without incident.....

Quote:
Pool grade and food grade DE are very different and pool grade is not safe for you to use with your chickens. Your local feed store should have food grade or you can order online... Good luck with those darn ants
big_smile.png

Edit... spelling
th.gif

Last edited:
I've got food grade DE in my coop and run and it doesn't do a thing for ants. They laugh at it. And the chickens don't eat them either. No, they won't hurt the chickens, but they get on me and some of them bite. There's got to be a solution that's safe for the hens.

DE has its uses, but ant repellent isn't one of them.

Toss a couple handfuls of Borax (20 mule team laundry type) in the coop and mix among the bedding. Its non-toxic, ants eat it, and it kills the colony when the workers bring it back to the nest. Plus, its only a few bucks.

I don't have any answers but am subscribing to this topic to see what answers you get. I have some ants in mine too, and don't want to spray where the chickens will be. Wish chickens did eat ants! They seem to eat any other bug!

Back
Top Bottom