Ants in coop

Quote:
Pool grade and food grade DE are very different and pool grade is not safe for you to use with your chickens. Your local feed store should have food grade or you can order online... Good luck with those darn ants
big_smile.png

Edit... spelling
th.gif

Last edited:
The best thing I have found is to use Basic H. It was originally made over 50 years ago as a cleaning agent and is still around today. Although it wasn't made to kill ants, I have found that it kills them instantly! I've been told that it does that by penetrating their exoskeletons and drowning them.

No running to another nest, or worries that it won't kill the Queen! In fact, I have timed it... only about 5 seconds after it hits them and their dead!

It is 100% nontoxic so it won't hurt to be sprayed around the chicks or even near water. You just mix 1/4 teaspoon of it in 16 oz of water so it is very cheap. A 16 oz bottle of Basic H makes 380 bottles of it so it only costs about 3 cents a bottle and you will always have it handy!

I always keep a bottle ready. It’s literally the best thing I have ever found and will never use anything else!
Here's is my website where you can learn more about it: www.help-me-get-rid-of-ants.com.

I have found that food grade DE does deter ants in the coop as long as they aren't fire ants. For some reason it seems to do nothing for fire ants. I'm going to be trying some Basic H though. My mom used it years ago and if it does kill ants well, that will be awesome!

This is a great thread! I will definately be using DE. I have never tried using AMDRO that way but it sounds like a great idea. I wonder if Basic H works on wasps as well.

When we first got them we had yellow jackets drinking the chicks water. That freaked my wife out, but one of the chicks caught one of the wasps and they all started fighting over it until they pulled it apart and ate the pieces. I love chicks!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Yup good stuff and I use it for many things around the ol homestead, only problem with using it as a ant killer is that you have to be there physically spraying them and there are so many in the colony... It does kill most other bugs as well if sprayed on them....

edit spelling again...
th.gif

Last edited:
I have ants in my coop and a broody too. Im concerned she will have em crawling all over her. They are IN the other nest boxes but dont seem to be interested in her thankfully. I just noticed them a few days ago. They ARE red ants. I wonder if the feed store carries that Basic H. I wish my girls ate ants or wasps. We had about 200 of them in the run today after I threw in some BBQ bones from last nights dinner....

We have ant problems too ... and it's those awful imported fire ants! Has anyone ever used eucalyptus bark in the coops or around the perimeter? The ants were not bad at first, but they are getting to be a regular issue. We try and keep the coop as clean as possible, and we only give the birds as much food as they can eat during feeding times. I am afraid to use fire ant bait near the coop in case the chickens get into any of that. Are there any other people out there with the same problem?

I use food grade DE in my coop, my run, everywhere. I'll see ants outside the chicken area but never inside it. I even sprinkle it in the nesting boxes, and all the places my chickens like to hang out. I also use it in my bunny run. I love it. I've never had any parasite/bug issues at all with any of my critters; which is wonderful I HATE BUGS!

Back
Top Bottom