Any advice for growing your breeder page on Facebook?

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
I'm wanting to grow my Facebook page because I'd like to start breeding my silkies to be "show quality". What I'm finding though is my incubator is never turning off and I'm ending up with TONS of chicks and with the ones I grow out SO many roosters. I cant bring myself to cull them so I'm currently feeding waaaaay too many of them. My hope is that by gaining a following I could sell off my pet quality straight run chicks and possibly have a spot to give away Roos.
Does anyone who's been doing this for a while have tip or tricks on how to grow my Silkie breeding business?

What do you do with all your roos?

What type of things do post about on your breeding page?

And how do you share your breeding page when so many groups prohibit it?

I don't even have a Facebook account, but I'll share some ideas.

Does anyone who's been doing this for a while have tip or tricks on how to grow my Silkie breeding business?
First off, grow popularity with reels. Take high quality videos of your Silkies in an eye catching way. Here's an example from one of my #shorts:

What do you do with all your roos?
I rehome them as free on Craigslist. Often I use good for tick control, though with Silkies, that's probably not an option. Quality helps, and good pictures. Here's an article that I wrote specifically on rehoming roosters on Craigslist:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-post-on-craigslist.76257/
What type of things do post about on your breeding page?
I'm not sure as I've never had a breeding page. I do, however, suggest talking up your birds as best as honestly possible and provide excellent photos of your breeders. NPIP certified is another thing to boost interest.
And how do you share your breeding page when so many groups prohibit it?
Share 'quality' pictures. A quality picture will catch people's eyes before any other thing. Another thing is a lot of people use the term, "fly the coop, PM for more details."

Here is a picture of a TSC Silkie that I hatched to show a 'quality' picture of the bird. He's the farthest thing from quality, but the picture is taken to make him more eye catching.

IMG_6045.JPG

I don't even have a Facebook account, but I'll share some ideas.

First off, grow popularity with reels. Take high quality videos of your Silkies in an eye catching way. Here's an example from one of my #shorts:

I rehome them as free on Craigslist. Often I use good for tick control, though with Silkies, that's probably not an option. Quality helps, and good pictures. Here's an article that I wrote specifically on rehoming roosters on Craigslist:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-post-on-craigslist.76257/

I'm not sure as I've never had a breeding page. I do, however, suggest talking up your birds as best as honestly possible and provide excellent photos of your breeders. NPIP certified is another thing to boost interest.

Share 'quality' pictures. A quality picture will catch people's eyes before any other thing. Another thing is a lot of people use the term, "fly the coop, PM for more details."

Here is a picture of a TSC Silkie that I hatched to show a 'quality' picture of the bird. He's the farthest thing from quality, but the picture is taken to make him more eye catching.

View attachment 3753253
Thank you! This is amazing advice! I really wish I could take nicer photos using my phone but my barn is so dark! I'm going to work on that! I love this!
I've been trying out tiktok too but I'm getting stuck at 200 views. It's definitely an art that I have not mastered yet!

Thank you! This is amazing advice! I really wish I could take nicer photos using my phone but my barn is so dark! I'm going to work on that! I love this!
I've been trying out tiktok too but I'm getting stuck at 200 views. It's definitely an art that I have not mastered yet!
You're welcome. When I'm take specific pictures, I take my birds somewhere separate for a better background. Good lighting helps a lot when it comes to taking pictures. For some of my newer pictures, I've been using a five bulb bedroom lamp with LED light bulbs as the lighting. I'm not on TikTok, but if it's anything like YouTube, the right title with the right tags (and a lot of them) helps a lot. For my YouTube Shorts, I discovered posting in the morning helps a lot (some days of the week help too, like posting on Saturday).

Back
Top Bottom