Any amature landscape designers out there? **UPDATE - PICS ADDED**

Quote:
Aspens grow quite well here; they thrive in the wild in most any draw in the mountains. But they aren't exactly xeric - down here they would require a lot of watering!

mom'sfolly :

Also, if I had the space and the climate was right, I'd have an apricot and a cherry tree; but that's just me.

Although I haven't tried them myself (yet), everyone I know who has them say they don't get any usable fruit because between the birds and the deer they are pretty much stripped. I'm going to try, anyway (=stubborn)
cool.png

I haven't tried a cherry tree yet. Not sure why... My nectarine tree has been a constant source of frustration though. It seems we always get beautiful weather for awhile here, long enough for buds to form and begin to open, followed by 2 weeks of clouds/rain/wind, every spring.
rant.gif
Needless to say, I've never had any fruit on this tree. It is a very healthy and pretty tree though. I had one just like it in San Jose and the fruit was too delicious for words!!! I've never had a peach or nectarine like these before (or since)!
sad.png

Quote:
I have heard there are varieties that will tolerate a climate like ours where a spring-like spell is followed by more wintry weather. I'll dig around and see if I can find some info to post here.

I have a 4 in 1 apple tree and a 4 in 1 pear tree but like Sunny if we get a late freeze/snow - no fruit! My pear tree really hasn't produced much fruit but the apple tree did 2 years ago. I also have some berry vines and a grape vine. Berry vines are hanging in there but not doing like I expected. The grape vine was huge last year with little fruit. We pruned it in the fall and am hoping for more fruit this year.

Sunny, we cannot reconfigure the retaining wall. The area you are talking about is about 5-5-1/2 feet tall - we do have a horseshoe pitching area in front of it. We have plans on building a garage in that corner too. We will move the shed at that time. That is also where we are going to put our above ground pool this summer. It used to go in the middle area between the two areas of curbing. We put it there when the girls were younger so we had a better eye on them. However, it obstructs my view of the stairs built into the middle of the retaining wall. So we will move it over this summer.

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING!!

Not exactly Xeric, but both Blueberries and Raspberries do well in Zone 5.

Keep in mind when planting Xeric, for the first year or two, most plants will still need to be watered on a "normal" basis until they are well established.

One thing my garden wouldn't be without - Gypsophila (Baby's Breath). I have one that is over 20 years old now, and is in my least frequently watered bed. Especially if you ever cut your flowers to bring in the house - BB just gives them that "From the Florist Shop" extra touch!

Sparks, what is the small weeping tree I see? Possibly a Weeping Mulberry? Or a Weeping Ornamental Peach? I have a Weeping Ornamental Peach that is beautiful in the Spring.

For burgandy vertical accent shrubs, one I would recommend is Berberis "Helmond Pillar".

You might get too cold in the winter, but rosemary is a wonderful xeric plant. Here there are two varieties, an upright that some people grow into low hedges and a prostrate that blooms prolifically in the summer.

Before I forget, anything in the Sedum/Stonecrop family is great!

I think before you spend too much time on plants, you need to focus on the hardscape. Each island should have a stong vertical accent, strategically placed. (To draw the eye thru to the focal point and beyond - not stopping short at the focal point.) You said you already have a water feature, so I'll exclude that. And you said you might want to bring in more large boulders.

Maybe a bench for sitting, with a trellissed arch overhead (maybe for your climbing roses!) This bench would probably sit toward the back corner of one of the islands - to draw you thru the island, and also so you can sit and view the yard as a whole. In this island bed, you may want to focus on fragrant plants. Or if you like to sit outside at night a lot, a fragrant "night" garden, with lots of white.

Another fun accent, depending on your particular tastes, might be an old antique hand cultivator. This looks great accompanied with native plants and prairie grasses, etc. You might even sneak in a few veggies here, or maybe some sunflowers for the chickens!

Gazing balls on tall stands, obelisks, garden statuary - lots of different things - figure out what you like, and build/plant around it. Maybe working/ornamental birdhouses? And don't forget you can decorate on your privacy fence - bird houses, sun faces, etc. And don't forget to place a few strategic lights!

Your islands are large - you will need to decide what kind of paths you would like thru them (you will need them!). Maybe in a material to match your patio?

Plan your landscape in the order of each feature's permanence - focal points and paths, trees, shrubs, perennials, and lastly annuals. Remember if you're going to plant a tree or two, depending on their size, they can affect the amount of sun reaching plants.

While not always necessary, it usually helps to have a sense of what colors will dominate your yard. I have a row of upright green evergreens along my privacy fence, and most of my accent ornamental trees and shrubs have purple/burgandy foliage. The perennial flowers range from white to pinks/light reds to blues/purples. Pretty much anything works for me as long as it isn't yellow or orange! But this is just what works for me - I like "cool" color schemes, and they make the area visually look larger.

Penstemon is a beautiful drought tolerant perennial, they bloom from spring to fall. Another winner is Mexican sage, it can get HUGE in full sun and is very drought tolerant. Mexican primrose is a sweet flower, but it can be invasive so plant with care. Euphorbia is a lovely plant that does well in heat/drought. It brings in a great texture. Daylilies are also surprisingly drought tolerant.

You mentioned fruit trees and roses. Because roses are not generally drought tolerant (except for some of the natives) I would cluster them in one place and run drip or soaker hoses. You will also want to mulch them. They will take watering, but doing this will minimize the amount. You can plant your zinnias, cosmos, etc. in the same beds as their water usage is similar and you will be irrigating that area anyway.

If you haven't yet, take this opportunity to amend your soil, it's a whole lot easier to do before you put plants in.

Have fun! I love putting in new beds.

Last edited:
First, get Sunset's Western Garden Book THe USDA zone system takes into account cold weather, but ignores HOT weather. The Sunset zones take both into account.

Some colourful trees to consider are crepe myrtle and Brazilian Pepper. You may need to add some acid to the soil around the crepe myrtles, and be picky about the varieties. Daylilies like hot dry alkaline soil. Passion flower (and passion fruit) are attractive, flowering and fruiting vines. Ruellia should do well. Hardenbergia should do well; also nandina (may need some shade) and leucophylum (Texas sage).

Back
Top Bottom