Any garlic growers here?

I think I didn't cure it enough. I had the same issue with the potatoes this year. The great thing about gardening is you alway get a fresh start in the Spring!
Well some types of garlic grow larger then others. Mine is a porcelain variety that I have been growing for a few years that I call Brickyard. Good seed stock is needed, as is soil. The larger the clove you plant the larger the potential for big heads if everything else is optimal. Light fluffy well draining soil high in OG matter/compost is ideal. My garden is organic and I have built my soil up really well over the years so I don't use much fert. a little fish and seaweed emulsion and thats about it. as for storing garlic that depends on variety also- some store much longer then others. Make sure its well cured before you store it. We hang ours up in large onion bags after it has cured in the basement that has moderate humidity and air circulation and stays around 55-60F.

See above

Now that I have publicly ranted about the lack of growth from the foo foo $$$ organic garlic, guess what is starting to pop a few leaves up!

I need to complain about it more clearly!

CC,

My high dollar garlic is the same way. I've got five, 20 foot rows of California Late White that have been up and growing well since November, when I planted them.

The bed is mulchd with about 4+ inches of straw as we can have some pretty cold, icy winters here although this winter has been on the verge of near tropical.
idunno.gif

Anywho, I've made several rants in the garden about the lack of "million dollar" garlic sprouts and broke down a few days ago and hand raked some of the straw back on that row...and there they were...little, itty-bitty baby sprouts!
bow.gif

This is my second year doing fall-planted garlic and I love it.

I'd bought seed cloves in the spring for several years and never had any of it do anything.

I plant elephant garlic and German redneck (purple shoulder) garlic in the fall and have a nic3 stand up.
Last row, the bed to the right of the light colored bed. 1/4 of a 16 x 4 foot bed.. about 75 plants that are 9 " - 12" tall.

Well... I WANT to grow Garlic, LOL! Been wanting to for ages now!
I eat several bulbs a week and I always have to have the fresh stuff... nothing like it. ;)

I've been down for 2 days with a stomach thing after some pork the other day... tonight my tummy couldn't make the decision between being too sick or about to starve to death... so I made up my mind for it and had a little bit of pasta with at least half a bulb freshly chopped as a top dressing.

And what do ya know... but it did exactly what I thought it would... killed those germ buggers... because now I feel great! Only a little too awake for this hour... that's what happens when you spend all day in bed, LOL!

Well... I have.. kind of... tried Garlic in the past... in pots :p ... When we move to some land this year, I have an abundance of ideas for a garden of raised beds... so I will definitely be investing some time in my beloved Garlic :D
Only we are in Florida... I need to make sure whatever variety I get is good for the very mild winter weather here. Any advice?
In my lovely Burpee seed catalog, one of the varieties they have is a beautiful large cloved Italian Garlic that is supposed to do great in the heat.....

I grow but I have to say your large ones give me size envy...I feel like I have to go out and buy a Harley or something...lol. Really though what variety is the large one and how do you grow them?

I would love to hear some tips or opinions from those of you who know how to grow garlic.

I bought a home on 6 acres last May.....moved into it in August. When I was first looking at the property the elderly seller pointed out that there was garlic growing at the base of several fruit trees. She said it just keeps growing and coming back every year. I did not ask about how long it had been there....but she did say that they planted the fruit trees about 25 years ago... I guess the garlic could be that old too...

Right now...the garlic tops are almost a foot tall....green and healthy looking..... I am in north Texas just south of Ft Worth and we have had a very mild winter so far......they have been green all winter.....and all last summer for that matter.....

I see in other posts where you all dig them up and then save some to replant the next year... I was wondering if any of you have any that just keeps coming back on it's own year after year?

I doubt that anything has been done with the garlic in several years. The seller told me that her husband was the "Gardner".....but he has passed away almost ten years ago.... She did not like gardening.....I have been cleaning out the overgrown flowerbeds for months! There are also thousands of Iris on the property!

Sorry this ended up so long..... Any thoughts or opinions on the garlic is appreciated!

Micki

I just planted garlic about a week or so ago.. yeah.. I know.. late start

these were just some left over cloves from the grocery store that were sprouting.. so I figured they would end up being thrown away if I didn't do SOMETHING with them.. so instead of throwing them out I stuck them in the dirt.. figured it would be just for fun and that they probably wouldn't do anything

well.. I just went out to check on the strawberry plants and sure enough the garlic has broken ground.. so who knows.. I probably won't get anything off of them (well.. hopefully some seed.. but if not no biggie)!

I would love to hear some tips or opinions from those of you who know how to grow garlic.
I bought a home on 6 acres last May.....moved into it in August. When I was first looking at the property the elderly seller pointed out that there was garlic growing at the base of several fruit trees. She said it just keeps growing and coming back every year. I did not ask about how long it had been there....but she did say that they planted the fruit trees about 25 years ago... I guess the garlic could be that old too...
Right now...the garlic tops are almost a foot tall....green and healthy looking..... I am in north Texas just south of Ft Worth and we have had a very mild winter so far......they have been green all winter.....and all last summer for that matter.....
I see in other posts where you all dig them up and then save some to replant the next year... I was wondering if any of you have any that just keeps coming back on it's own year after year?
I doubt that anything has been done with the garlic in several years. The seller told me that her husband was the "Gardner".....but he has passed away almost ten years ago.... She did not like gardening.....I have been cleaning out the overgrown flowerbeds for months! There are also thousands of Iris on the property!
Sorry this ended up so long..... Any thoughts or opinions on the garlic is appreciated!
Micki
if you ever decide to get rid of some of those iris let me know what colors you have.. I might be interested in buying some from you!
What I would love to find are some of the old fashioned daylillies.. the plain "wild type" orange ones... we grew them when I was a kid and I still miss seeing them bloom.. lol.. no idea how they would do here with our summers though

Back
Top Bottom