Planting carrots in soil used for potatoes??

flooding rains
Can you do raised beds?
I've read that a TP tube put around the stem of the plant at the soil line can keep cutworms from reaching their target.
Depending on the veg, there are some more resistant varieties. There are also some dusts/sprays you can use. Best thing is to rotate crops to a different location in the garden, as blight lives in the soil. Also, putting mulch down under the plants can help keep the soil from splashing up on to the leaves when it rains.

I am hoping a more experienced grower can help me here.
We have beds that grew potatoes last year. We had a bad growing year and the potatoes weren’t even the type we wanted so some were just left in the bed until 2 weeks ago.
(What to do with all these potatoes??)

I’ve bought carrot seeds that are supposed to be planted in February, wondering if I can throw them in the bed that was used for the potatoes? I also bought carrot seeds for later planting.

I have a compost pile that hasn’t fully broken down- should I grab some of the broken down stuff and throw it on top?
Or do I just plant elsewhere?

It’s my first year really trying last year I just threw some seeds down and hoped for the best!

I’ve also bought cabbage,lettuce, squash, kale, beetroot, broccoli,sweetcorn, oregano,parsley, marjoram, chamomile, cauliflower and goji berry seeds.

No idea what I’m doing with any of the above yet! If anyone has advice to share I’m open.
I will probably update this thread on what I decide to plant where and what from the above actually works for me.
Compost the taters you dont want! They contain nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium that will be beneficial to your pile! You could even go so far as to soak them in water to use on your nitrogen loving plants like tomatoes, peppers, greens, sweet corn, pole beans, muskmelons, cucumbers, squash.....

Back
Top Bottom