How to safely use chicken manure in my garden for chillies and garlic?

DaveMK

Chirping
Nov 2, 2022
Milton Keynes UK
I’ve been raising 2 hens in a smallish run with 6 inches of deep woodchip bedding since Nov 2022.

I understand it may take 6-12 months for the wood chip to break down to a point it can be used in the garden, but I’m wondering how I can use the chicken manure that falls and builds up directly beneath the coop?

I’m only growing 2 different crops. Garlic, that has been in since Nov and will be harvested around June/July, and super hot chillies that will be planed out in early June after I thin the garlic out and harvest green garlic.

Last year, before planting my chillies out, I had a brand new empty raised bed, and empty large pots to plant my chillies into.

I prepared the soil with lots of biochar, and drenched the bed/pots with gallons of chicken manure pellets and human urine smoothie (sorry to be gross, but that’s what it was).

I had a bumper crop!

This year, I’ve got the garlic to contend with, and from what I’ve read, I can’t use chicken manure or urine on root crops.

How would you advise me to use the piles of chicken manure that falls beneath the coop, to benefit my chillies without causing problems for my garlic?

Thanks

Was just discussing this with a friend who wanted poop to put directly on newly planted garlic....they seem to think it will mellow over winter before the plants emerge.

Was just discussing this with a friend who wanted poop to put directly on newly planted garlic....they seem to think it will mellow over winter before the plants emerge.
When the ground/poop is frozen on top of the garlic during the winter it is not composting. The spring thaw will just melt the fresh thawed poop onto the emerging garlic. I wouldn't do this. Not in our neck of the woods, at least.

As others have said, composting first is the way to go.

The six months until June should give you enough time to get the poop "plant and people safe".

If you live in a cold area where things freeze, folks are right that composting is greatly slowed down.

One way around this, if you don't find it gross (and your smoothie approach thinks you won't) is to put some of the chicken manure, some of the wood chips, some spent shavings from the coop, or whatever other carbon sources you have handy into a plastic or metal trash can with a lid. Go no more than 50% chicken manure, and only fill the container about half way.

Put the can in your basement, garage, or somewhere else that doesn't get freezing cold. Every few weeks, shake or mix it up. If it's working, you'll notice the manure and carbon starting to break down within 2-3 weeks.

With this approach, by summer you should have a fully broken down and plant/people safe compost to add around your pepper plants when you transplant them.

When the ground/poop is frozen on top of the garlic during the winter it is not composting. The spring thaw will just melt the fresh thawed poop onto the emerging garlic. I wouldn't do this. Not in our neck of the woods, at least.
I know, I tried to tell them but they won't listen<shrugs>
I told them to side dress the rows rather than right on top.
They've been taking my sh!t(hahaha) for 9 years, I guess they can do whatever they want with it.

Back
Top Bottom