How to safely use chicken manure in my garden for chillies and garlic?

I know, I tried to tell them but they won't listen<shrugs>
I told them to side dress the rows rather than right on top.
They've been taking my sh!t(hahaha) for 9 years, I guess they can do whatever they want with it.
Haha! I neeeed someone to take mine.

Just remember that if they try to barter for eggs with their garlic next fall DON'T TAKE IT! lol

Thank you. Is 6 months enough time to compost, or too short?
It depends upon how you compost the manure. In addition to the nitrogen burning the plants, bacterial contamination is a concern with root crops. 6 months should be enough time with cold composting, but if you can build your pile large enough, hot composting will significantly reduce the time needed to make your manure usable. We have used a modified version of this method to compost horse and chicken manure - horses were on stall rest and there was way too much manure to keep up with the turning every other day. We bought a compost thermometer so we could turn the compost whenever the temperature was too hot or starting to drop and created finished compost in a little over a month.
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

Thank you to everyone for your replies.
I’ve already got a 330 liter compost bin filled with ready to use compost. I think I’ll take half of it out for my potting mix and potting up, then start adding the chicken manure to the half empty bin and mixing it in with the ready compost.
I’ve managed to get my compost going really fast so far with an earth auger attachment, so I believe I can get it ready in time for June when I plant my chilies out.
Problem solved. Thanks👍🏻

Just remember that if they try to barter for eggs with their garlic next fall DON'T TAKE IT! lol
Ha!
No, they don't buy eggs from me any more, but no I wont take garlic from them, even if they offered it.
Funny, I got them as well as a few others started with growing garlic, I used to grow a bunch of it. Rabbit poop is what I mixed into the trenches before planting.

Back
Top Bottom