Any good pics of your guineas?

I have an ignorant question. What do people keep guineas for? Do they provide eggs regularly as chickens do? I’ve seen that people eat them, are they good? Are they worth the effort of raising them for food? They are so beautiful but seem obnoxious. My parents go to South Africa for hunting trips every few years and they’ve “hunted” guineas there before. Venturing to guess it was really less of a hunt and more of a means to get a quick dinner. Not sure I could ever “hunt” one myself as they are so beautiful.
I got guineas because I was told that they keep away the hawk. We had a lot of hawk attacks in the past. Since I have my two guineas, the hawk wasn't successful since then and that is 3 months now. I even saw a hawk coming once and when the guineas started to scream it flew away.
And I'm going to eat the eggs of them, let them brood and then butcher some of them as I do with my chickens.

DSCN1726.jpg

These are some of the indigenous wild Guinea Fowl, living in our residential area, a suburb of the greater Cape Town, South Africa, on one of their regular visits to our home.

DSCN1004.jpg

Sneaking the family past the cat next door.

DSCN1009.jpg

"Kids, make sure you look both ways before you cross the street."

20220101_101637.jpg

A whole new meaning to 'feeding the garden birds'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom