Any guesses on gender?

A roo or two

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Florida
These Speckled Sussex are approximately 7.5-8 weeks old now. I already have in mind what sexes they are but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Chick #1

Chick #2

Chick #3

Chick #4

Chick #5

Chick #6

Chicks #4 and #5 are looks like cockerels to me, but I think that the others are probably pullets. However, all of them are showing a large amount of comb and wattle for the age, so you may actually have more cockerels than that.

Boy they all do have a lot of comb and wattle for that age, would vote possible boy on 2,4,5, no vote on 3,6 and possible girl on 1.

Chicks #4 and #5 are looks like cockerels to me, but I think that the others are probably pullets. However, all of them are showing a large amount of comb and wattle for the age, so you may actually have more cockerels than that.

Boy they all do have a lot of comb and wattle for that age, would vote possible boy on 2,4,5, no vote on 3,6 and possible girl on 1.

#1 and #6 are your best chances at pullets. The others look like cockerels.

IDK if describing them will make a difference or not but just what I have seen in their development in the last 5 weeks. Guess I should have provided this along with the original post. They were bought as straight run.

1, 2, and 3 have the same body shape, same upside down V shaped tail. When I brought them home at 3 weeks they already had their tail feathers, and their backs/chests were fully feathered feathered, only under the wings and heads had chick fluff.

4 and 5 feathered slower than those three but faster than #6. These 2 are built the same with more of a "puff" for a tail that has a slight curve downward of the feathers. When they came home at 3 weeks they had no tails, fluffy backs with a skinny line of feathers starting to emerge, chick fluff heads and their chests were almost fully feathered.

Then #6, well this bird is just pitiful IMO. It still doesn't have a tail, has bare wing bows and chick fluff on its back still. At 3 weeks it looked the most chick-like with fully feathered wings and some sparse feathering on its chest mixed with huge patches of chick fluff.

I guess if they are all roos or mostly roos we start over again next spring. We're gonna be eating a lot of chicken :/

Well i think for sure one is a pullet, perhaps three and five as well. I think two is male and six also. Four, no idea. Very pretty all though!
idunno.gif

I'm sure curious. The more I look at them the more I don't know what to think. I'd guess 1,3 pullets. And my experience is my 4 who are approaching 19 weeks.
tongue.png
I hope you'll post more in a few weeks so we can see!

Back
Top Bottom