Any help is appreciated - Multiple quail with sore feet - Updated with Picture

Mumpy

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Hello, Hopefully I can find some answers here. I just returned from vacation and while I was away my wife was feeding and watering my quail for me. During the 8 days I was gone, I had 4 quail die and she couldn't explain any rhyme or reason for their deaths. When I arrived home yesterday the first place I went was to my quail pen. I see I have multiple quail (6-7 out of 25+) that were holding a leg up or were sitting down with a wing out (For balance is all I can figure). When I inspected them even more closely these quail have injuries on top of their feet and their feet look swollen. Has something injured my quail or is this some infection? I have looked up bumblefoot and it doesn't look to be the same sort of thing.

I'll take a photo at lunch and post it.

Any help is appreciated on this.

Thank you

What type of flooring are you using? If its wire perhaps the feet are falling through the wire and being injured or if outside an animal, raccoon or rats could be pulling the feet through the wire and injuring them. It could even be one of the birds attacking the others. Sorry I am not much help. good luck.

That looks like Bumblefoot. I have never heard of any other disease that looks like that other than Bumblefoot

The Chicken on my Avatar, Myrtle May, Had gotten scratched at her foot at the same area as that on the picture, but it didn't swell up like that. It has to be a disease.

Im curious to see what everyone says here... I just bought 15 hens and one has a scrape/ scab on that exact area and looks a little swollen and is limping
And two other hens are limping as well but i cant see anything wrong with their feet. These came from somewhere where they lived in wire cages. And so far from my search online im assuming its from the wire flooring.
I have mine on the ground so if thats all it is im hoping their feet heal up soon.

You may want to quarantine them since it is even more vulnerable to infection to them and possibly the whole flock. I was able to treat mine just fine with a bandage and some Neosporin

Post more information with pictures please.

What are you feeding them. Pictures of you pen. Close ups of the floor. Everything the have access to or any thing that can get within 10 feet of them.

Back
Top Bottom