any help is appreciated with a green bean bake

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have been hearing raves about a green bean bake so I decided to make one for christmas dinner. I am running into 1 problem though...

I cant for the life of me find the french fried onions for the top.

can I make these myself?

can i just caramelize some red onions and use that?

(psssst.... is it really that good?)

thanks
DAr

(psssst nope)

But everybody else here at our house loves it, so what do I know?
wink.png

The french fried onions are soooo good! You can crunch them up and coat chicken and pork with them...
droolin.gif

As for the green bean casserole.... eh... i can live with out it. I'm not a big fan... but LOTS of peeps love it...so...
hu.gif

But give it a try..you may really like it!
I dont think it'd be the same with out the french fried onions though...
hit.gif

you have to have the french fried onions, they are the best part. I suppose you could make them,,, they are just super thin slivers of onion that have been battered and deepfried.. but gee what a pain. I cant believe you cant find them...i cant swing a dead cat without hitting a whole stack of them. i think the main reason why that casserol is so popular is because its traditional, its like confort food. I mean its tasty and all but i wouldnt rave about it.

I will check a few more grocery stores tomorrow. I was at 3 today with no luck. Every store said the same thing... Its an American thing!
hu.gif

Quote:
Oh no! How sad! Green Bean Casserole is a favorite around here and yes, the french fried onions on top "make it". It just wouldn't be the same without them. I sure hope you find some!

They have the cheddar fried onions too now. I just bought a can and I can't wait to try them.

The onions give it a crunchy top and obviously provide some extra flavor but you could use lots of things to give it a crunchy top. Like, plain chips, plain corn flakes, and ritz crackers. Add some other kind of flavor for the flavor....bacon in with sauce, some onion boiled or sauteed lightly, tabasco sauce, soy sauce, worchester sauce....anything you might think goes good, use one or all. I am gonna use all with cheddar fried onions this time.

Blech, I can't stand green bean bake!
sickbyc.gif
But, most everybody else at my house goes bonkers for it so, guess I'll be making it again. Don't know if I'd bother making it without the french fried onions, my husband says it wouldn't be the same at all.
idunno.gif

If you can't find French's Onions, look in the produce section for the bags of Salad Toppers. One is called "crispy onions".

Those will work just as well.

We fixed the green bean casserole for the first time this Thanksgiving. I had heard all the raves so we decided to give it a try. We did just what the instructions said. It looked pretty but it tasted to me exactly like green beans and cream of mushroom soup. Edible, but, in the immortal words of Dr. Johnson, not a meal to ask a man to. I hope yours turns out better than ours did.

Back
Top Bottom