Any hope for a pullet? Barnyard mix 11-12 weeks

Ayla427

Chirping
Sep 26, 2023
This chicken is 11-12 weeks old and I'm hoping it's a she. Its comb is bigger and pinker than its hatch-mate, but they're clearly different breeds. The comb hasn't changed or grown for the past few weeks. No crowing, although I've heard crows from a younger batch of hatchlings.

Attachments

• 20230926_185824.jpg
    20230926_185824.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230926_185921.jpg
    20230926_185921.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230926_185758.jpg
    20230926_185758.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 24
This chicken is 11-12 weeks old and I'm hoping it's a she. Its comb is bigger and pinker than its hatch-mate, but they're clearly different breeds. The comb hasn't changed or grown for the past few weeks. No crowing, although I've heard crows from a younger batch of hatchlings.
Is that a barred rock? I looked them up, and although I mostly know silkies, that sure looks like a pullet to me!

Is that a barred rock? I looked them up, and although I mostly know silkies, that sure looks like a pullet to me!
Seems like a barred rock mix of some sort, but probably not 100%. He/she is a Barnyard mix my buddy gave to me as an egg when I had a hen go broody and wanted to see her try to hatch her own babies!

Seems like a barred rock mix of some sort, but probably not 100%. He/she is a Barnyard mix my buddy gave to me as an egg when I had a hen go broody and wanted to see her try to hatch her own babies!
If there is only one rooster in the flock, do you know what breed he is? (If there are multiple roosters then never mind, because we won't know which one is the actual father.)

I am asking because certain breeding combinations can create color-sexable chicks. That chick is one of the colors that might be, but might not be.

Looking at the comb and wattles, I would guess maybe-male, but it could be a fast-maturing female. So I'm not entirely sure.

If there is only one rooster in the flock, do you know what breed he is? (If there are multiple roosters then never mind, because we won't know which one is the actual father.)

I am asking because certain breeding combinations can create color-sexable chicks. That chick is one of the colors that might be, but might not be.

Looking at the comb and wattles, I would guess maybe-male, but it could be a fast-maturing female. So I'm not entirely sure.
Multiple roosters, so I'm not sure.

The comb and wattle developed early so I was 99% sure cockerel, but there's been no further development for a few weeks. I had some chicks hatch four weeks after this one, and those cockerels had combs that grew faster and even a little bigger than this one's, so I was confident re-homing those ones already. This one just gives me pause...

The tail feathers were slow to develop but the legs/feet don't seem particularly large and I don't see any other roo-like feathering. No crowing, of course.

I'm kind of stumped, unless I'm allowing my own wishful thinking to cloud my judgment!

Multiple roosters, so I'm not sure.

The comb and wattle developed early so I was 99% sure cockerel, but there's been no further development for a few weeks. I had some chicks hatch four weeks after this one, and those cockerels had combs that grew faster and even a little bigger than this one's, so I was confident re-homing those ones already. This one just gives me pause...

The tail feathers were slow to develop but the legs/feet don't seem particularly large and I don't see any other roo-like feathering. No crowing, of course.

I'm kind of stumped, unless I'm allowing my own wishful thinking to cloud my judgment!
Ooh, that is a hard one. It looks like you've thought of all the points I would check, and you've reached the same conclusion I would: this bird is not obviously a male or obviously a female at this age.

Unless you think it's worth paying for a DNA gender test ( https://iqbirdtesting.com/ ) you may have to just keep waiting and see how it progresses.

If/when you do figure it out for sure, I would love to know the answer :)

Back
Top Bottom