Any ideas on how to keep squirrels off our fence?

Well my crazy neighbor across the street from us traps squirrels with a small animal trap cage like a raccoon trap. Then once he gets one he spray paints the end of the tail white then drives them about 6 miles away to a country club golf course. And he never saw a squirrel with white spray paint come back either! and know we have no squirrels!

insulated? really? so why can it shock you if you touch it?

They are not insulated. I did see a bird land on the wire and he grounded himself on the pole at the same time and received a jillion volts, caught fire and fell to his death. Saw a squirrel do it too. I would (and have) touch an electric wire. I would never touch a power line.

Just the way my wooden fence is, they can run on the top or on the cross pieces that run between the poles. So I think they would just avoid the electric wire, but still be able to run along the fence. Maybe if they got a good zap, they would avoid the fence. But they seem to defeat most deterrents out there. Smart little pests.

insulated? really? so why can it shock you if you touch it?

It can't if your'e not touching anything else BUT the wire.

You have to be grounded to get shocked

They are not insulated

If they aren't insulated, they aren't power lines​

Last edited:
Quote:
It can't if your'e not touching anything else BUT the wire.

You have to be grounded to get shocked

They are not insulated

If they aren't insulated, they aren't power lines​

This is a myth by the uninformed that power lines are insulated. They do NOT have full insulation on them. Underground lines are fully insulated, but not the ones above ground.

This is the link for an electric co-op with that info.

http://www.newmac.com/FAQSONELECTRICITY.aspx
Here is the quote,
"Are power lines insulated?

Many people think that power lines have insulation material around them like the electric cords we see on appliances. However, high voltage lines are not insulated. An appliance will use voltages of 110 to 240 volts. At that level insulation material is practical. But at 7,200 volts, that material would burn off the line, and if the material was substantial enough to handle that voltage, it would be too heavy and too expensive to use. "

ALLLLLLLL I was saying is that if the little buggars could avoid contact with the high voltage wires and grounding themselves into oblivion, I just figured they could avoid a little zap from an electric fence. Seemed like an expensive and troublesome application to then see them continue to pop up and torture the dogs, as the OP had stated.

I, too, have squirrels getting into areas where they are not welcome. Maybe Tanglefoot sticky stuff along the fence?

Hi I rented a video about squirrels and keeping them out of bird houses and out of garden and one of the methods was to use plastic pop bottles strung across a line, they slip and fall. Bad thing is I dont think this is going to work for my coop because they are able to climb the wood frame and the chicken wire with no problems, and from many angles. I havent bought my chickens yet but have done much to prepare including buying the food which has been unopened. Yesterday I found that the little terrors had tried to chew through the bag. Aside from putting the food up when not in use in a container, do I need to feed the chickens in a feeder or can I just throw out seed every day to them? This is the only suitable alternative I can think of to keep the squirrels from gobbling up the chickens feed when Im not looking. I dont want to put seed in a feeder for the chickens because the squirrels WILL eat it all. Normally I put out buckeyes to keep the darn things out of my bird feeders ,and I wont be able to collect the buckeyes until summer, which seemed to work well last year, however they still tore up my huge sunflowers. To combat this, I just planted 3 times as many sunflowers so we all could share in the bounty. I dont care as much about the sunflowers as I do the chicken feed and bird seed because its not as expensive since I grow the sunflower from the seeds of the plants I grew before. They are a major problem at my home, tearing up my porch and trash and anything they can get into. Any ideas?

We have way too many squirrels coming into our yard running long the top of our fences, using them to get into the yard, running along the fence tops and driving our dog crazy. Any ideas on a humane treatment to the top of the fence that might deter squirrels from landing or running on them? One that won’t be too noticeable?

That would help keep our dog calmer (good thing for the chickens stress levels), our yard nicer and hopefully keep them out of the chicken feeders.

Thanks!
Jeannie.

Squirrels are using my wired lights to run along. How do I keep this off of the wired lights?

Back
Top Bottom