Any ideas on this guy's heritage?

SweetMotherOfMars

Songster
13 Years
Aug 24, 2009
The Palouse
He has an EE mom, we hatched him out of an olive egg.
The man at the farmers' market let us have half a dozen fertile eggs at the eating-egg price since we didn't care if we had purebreds. I didn't care what we had then, but now I'm curious.

I realize he's a mutt, but what can you tell me about his comb and coloring?

Evan:
39865_evynbest_byc.jpg
39865_evynbestsideview_byc.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks HappyMtn & Kooshie! Maran would make sense. There are certainly some gorgeous Maran eggs posted on this site. I think he's lovely, but I'm a little biased.
cool.png

KWC, out of the 4 that I think are boys, he is the quietest. The last time I saw him crow (2-3 weeks ago) I'd been petting him on my lap and when he got down he bragged to the others that I was playing favorites.

I'd love it if I'm wrong, though. Out of 5 hatchlings we only have one pullet. *sigh*

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237701 for the others.

EE/ameracaunas have peacombs (though some can be straight) and Marans, have a straight (Single) comb. This bird has a walnut comb, seen in oriental games, Sumatras (could explain his dark plumage and the mulberry color on the comb.), and a few other breeds..

Last edited:
EE/ameracaunas have peacombs (though some can be straight) and Marans, have a straight (Single) comb. This bird has a walnut comb, seen in oriental games, Sumatras (could explain his dark plumage and the mulberry color on the comb.), and a few other breeds..

Ahhhh- yes- the sumatra could explain the long tail. Maybe it is a girl
wink.png

*sigh*
Pulled the 3 other cockerels out and moved them (noisy boys). After about 25 minutes alone with the pullet Evan started crowing.

He's been quiet since. I put up a dark blue net (actually football jersey material we found at a sale) around the pen, limiting his field of vision. We'll see how long that works.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom