Any ideas?

JIRATO

Hatching
Aug 7, 2017
We are new to chickens... we had a coop already on our property but it was empty inside. My husband built a roosting rack that he put on a elevated wood platform... trying to figure out what to put down on the wood platform to help with poop clean up -- was thinking the big oil pans - but they are not long enough. The platform itself is 5 feet long by 36 inches deep. Also looked at the trays you put under washing machines -- but they are an inch too wide!!! I want something I can take out to empty and wash. My only other idea was a tarp flat on the wood. Any ideas?

We use under the bed Rubbermaid bins. They are shallow but hold shavings and come in several lengths 2', 3', 4'.

Attachments

• 0721171803.jpg
    0721171803.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 6

Corrugated plastic campaign or home builders signs. Cut easily to size, tape together with Gorilla tape and can be folded to move. Store flat, last forever, clean well. Free if you look around after elections, or can find "abandoned" ones near new housing developments.

We made removable poop trays out of plywood. They were painted and lined with removable vinyl sheet flooring and then sprinkled with PDZ (there's some pine flakes in the pic but I will go to all PDZ in the future). A cantilever support was added so we could keep the vinyl flooring (on the coop floor) intact under the trays.
We made two to make it easier to get them out of our coop. The PDZ works so well---absorbs all moisture and neutralizes odors. The poop never even reaches the vinyl. Cleanup of any splatters on the painted wood (exterior latex semi-gloss) is easy with a spritz of white vinegar (melts poop nicely) and a paper towel.
All the other ideas here are great too---you have a lot to choose from!
8-5-2017 (24).jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of the PDZ in the kitty litter method. Thinking I might try it down the road when I get nest boxes and drop board done. I might be able to source the zeolite cheaper than buying the name brand PDZ, but I'll have to research it to make absolutely certain there are no additives.

Back
Top Bottom