Pics

leighks

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
My sweet barred rock has an oviduct impaction we have been medically managing (with a vet) for almost 3 months now, but we are getting to the point where a decision has to be made.
Surgery would fix the problem, but the procedure is very invasive. I’m concerned if she would make it through successfully and recover. It’s an expensive undertaking but Willow is our pet, so I’m thinking of scheduling surgery soon. The vet said they usually have a good outcome. She is only 1.5 years old.
Has anyone else had this surgery on their hen, and if so, what was the outcome? I know every case is different, but just looking for feedback if it worked for others. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is the vet looking to remove the oviduct? It is major and chickens generally do not do well under anaesthetic, so that can be more of a risk than the surgery itself. Unless you can afford to lose $1000 dollars plus quite possibly your chicken, I would not go for it. There is also the concern that they may continue to ovulate after removal in which case implants would be necessary. I understand that there is some link between the oviduct and ovary that when severed will discourage the ovary from producing further follicles but I don't think it is guaranteed, so that may be something else to consider

I believe @micstrachan had surgery for a hen of hers that was laying internally and they opened her up and cleaned her out and I don't think she pulled through but hopefully Michelle will see this and be able to advise you from her experience rather than 3rd hand.

Is the vet looking to remove the oviduct? It is major and chickens generally do not do well under anaesthetic, so that can be more of a risk than the surgery itself. Unless you can afford to lose $1000 dollars plus quite possibly your chicken, I would not go for it. There is also the concern that they may continue to ovulate after removal in which case implants would be necessary. I understand that there is some link between the oviduct and ovary that when severed will discourage the ovary from producing further follicles but I don't think it is guaranteed, so that may be something else to consider

I believe @micstrachan had surgery for a hen of hers that was laying internally and they opened her up and cleaned her out and I don't think she pulled through but hopefully Michelle will see this and be able to advise you from her experience rather than 3rd hand.
Yes the vet is looking to remove the oviduct. I did ask about the implant after, and he said most likely would not be needed. We have a recheck appointment later today so I will get the final details. Yes it’s a hard surgery for a chicken to endure and I know anesthesia is very risky. As I see it, my options are to continue medical management until euthanasia or surgery, which she may or may not survive. It’s a tough choice. My Christmas bonus will cover the cost of surgery. If she lives it will be worth every penny.

If you go for it, even if it doesn't work out, you can at least console yourself that you gave her every chance that was possible. She will die sooner or later without surgery and she is probably in discomfort even now. Will you keep this thread updated regardless of the route you take as the more the cases are documented, the more we can all learn and the better people are able to make such decisions in the future. Will be keeping fingers crossed for you and her. I would think that it is better to do it before things get too bad otherwise complications are more likely. Wishing you luck :fl

If you go for it, even if it doesn't work out, you can at least console yourself that you gave her every chance that was possible. She will die sooner or later without surgery and she is probably in discomfort even now. Will you keep this thread updated regardless of the route you take as the more the cases are documented, the more we can all learn and the better people are able to make such decisions in the future. Will be keeping fingers crossed for you and her. I would think that it is better to do it before things get too bad otherwise complications are more likely. Wishing you luck :fl
Thank you for the well wishes. Yes I will keep the post updated either way, so others in a similar boat can have more information. I agree that surgery should be done while she’s still in good shape. She’s such a sweet bird.

Willow went to the vet today for her recheck. Even though clinically she appears to be doing well, x-rays show the impaction is pushing the organs up even more than it was 2 weeks ago, and she’s breathing a bit heavier since her air sacs can’t expand fully. Here’s the 2 xrays, the top one from 2 weeks ago and the bottom one from today:
7AAE7797-3149-4521-A50D-5DEB8C8448FE.jpeg
Surgery is scheduled for next Thurs 12/27 to remove oviduct. She was given the hormone implant today to stop ovulation and decrease the vascular supply to reproductive organs. The vet said most of the hens he’s done surgery on don’t need repeated implants, hope that’s the case for Willow. She also got a refill of meloxicam for inflammation and discomfort. The vet said he’s had good success with this procedure, between 80-90% success and survival. Hoping and praying for Willow being another success story!!
DF4182B8-4453-4E82-B48F-C358274D6B3F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom