Any one have a rooster that sounds like a hen laying an egg????

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I was out in the coop yesterday evening. The light brown leghorn rooster was sitting on the roost with the hens and usually he crows really loud when I come in just to tell me he is there. But this time he started clucking and cackling like he had just layed an egg. He just kept it up for a long time. I couldn't understand why he was doing it. He has never done that before. I have 5 roosters and he is one I will not be keeping because he is so raunchy.

Has anyone else ever had that happen?? He and the other roosters have been getting on the floor and trying to make nests and clucking at the hens trying to convience them to lay. But they are not old enough yet. They are 16 week right now. although the Leghorn hen has her comb falling over and her wattles are showing.

All of my roos have done that. My alpha roo right now, was making the nests comfy, bok-bagok'ing like the girls, etc. When they lay, she bagoks, he bagoks, and then I have 7 hens and 2 roos all bagok-ing like the layer has cheerleaders. It's the funniest thing.
He sounds like a real gentleman roo, he might end up being "the keeper".

Quote:
It just seemed so strange for him to sit there one the roost doing that. He really is the prettiest of the 5 but I don't like him much.
I have raised chickens before and never had that happen. anyway that I know of. This is not one that I want to keep. He is the bigges and the most aggressive of the 5 roos. I want to keep my EE roo who is really a total wimp and a blue roo that I don't know what he is. He is just pretty and not so aggressive.

I've heard mine do it, I guess he's being sympathetic or something.

My roo has one fav. girl - and he'll even follow her into the nest box and sit next to her and wait
roll.png

(his girl is sitting on eggs right now and he's not bothered her at all)

Quote:
I am glad to hear that he is not a real weirdo. LOL He is just so Macho that I was so surprised to hear him do that. No one is even laying yet and he hasn't heard any of the girls do that.

Well, I wouldn't keep an aggressive roo. I kept the roo who really took care of the girls, was nice to them, and nice to me. He fluffs their nests, sometimes he sits in the nest with them while they lay their egg and makes the bagok calls when the girls do before they lay their egg. He calls them over to eat a bug. If I come out with a snack, he runs around the coop to get them and then they all come running. He protects them, and they like him. He even breaks up spats that the girls have over the nest.
Have fun !

Quote:
I guess he knows you are planning on getting rid of him so he is pretending to be a hen. Bok,bok,bgwack, nobody here but us egg-laying chickens.

Quote:
HE sounds like a nice rooster. So far this brown Leghorn does talk to the girls but he also gets after some of the smaller ones and is rough. The EE "Flame" that I want to keep is not at all aggressive and is afraid of the leghorn. I have a white leghorn too who is a little assertive but not dominate as the brown one. The brown one is the alpha right now. I just don't want a leghorn rooster. If I want to raise chicks it would be EE's so I would like to have him. I just hope he isn't too timid. The blue roo that i want to keep is not so assertive and more calm than the leghorns. None are aggressive to me. I have placed my self over them and they are careful to behave around me because I chase them when they misbehave. It really is a guessing game I guess whether the ones I want will be the right one. I still have some Australorps roos coming up that I could save one of too if these don't turn out.

Quote:
I guess he knows you are planning on getting rid of him so he is pretending to be a hen. Bok,bok,bgwack, nobody here but us egg-laying chickens.

OMGosh! I didn't think of that. LOL You are probably right.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom