Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I've been so busy this week, I've had no time to check in at all. Between the snow storm, and work, and the snow days from school, and getting ready to travel this weekend...it's been nuts! We're leaving town this weekend. I fully expect to find like 3 dozen eggs when we get back.

So here's an update on my chicks, and I need opinions. Professor Neutron's slipped tendon just will not heal, and his leg is growing so fast that now the legs are different lengths, and basically, I think he's just doomed to only have one working leg. Should I let him continue to live on one leg? He doesn't seem to be in pain. But he is growing really slowly.. Here's a video of him getting around:
That chick is so cute, makes me sad to watch him try and walk. I guess I would worry about others picking on it and hard to tell if there is any pain. That's a hard decision and I feel bad that you have to make it.

I officially have the MEANEST chicken on planet Earth! She is also the smallest of the hens. She is a Blue Hamburg, only lays 4-5 per week and pecks every one of my other girls. Napoleon Complex in a female! Here she is in "chicken jail" And she is TICKED off about it!!!

Nice to know I'm not alone having a mean chicken. Mine has been

Nice to know I'm not alone having a mean chicken. Mine has been
This computer is p......ing me off. My mean chicken is still be separated from everyone, probably not as much as she should be. She gets put in a separate facility at night and during the day after she lays, she either free ranges alone or she gets put in a separate run. I did let her have access to the coop today to dust bathe, poor thing was crazy and stayed in there for quite some time. I am tired of dealing with behavior issues and really reluctant to get any more birds. Liza's spot has appeared to be doing well although she doesn't let me do to much to it so hoping it is healing. luckily, no one else has picked up the bad habit.

My little gold star is now officially 20 weeks old. She has squatted every day for me since Sunday. Does anyone else here remember how many days between 1st squat and 1st egg? I forgot.... It feels like it has been so long ago for me;)
Mine were squatting for a couple of weeks before I got their first eggs. I'm sure it varies a lot. Sylvia the Silver Campine didn't squat at all, and rarely does still. Barnie the Barnevelder teased me with squatting for about 6 weeks. Beetle the Australorp and Ladybird the RIR did it for about 2 weeks and I suspect that is more usual.

So, not long now for an egg from the gold star!

Katrina

Quote:
Country girl - thank you so much for your kind offer. My husband and I get up to Prescott several times a year - we are planning to retire in that area so we take weekends up there every now and then to do our scouting around. Have been to Olsens for the first time last time we were coming home from Prescott but they didn't have any chicks at the time. Will wait to to see how our EE does after a few weeks and then get back to you. Today she took the day off.

p.s. my meaties are getting bigger and stinkier every day. They are cute little buggers right now. Hoping they get really fat and ugly soon
hmm.png

Mine were squatting for a couple of weeks before I got their first eggs. I'm sure it varies a lot. Sylvia the Silver Campine didn't squat at all, and rarely does still. Barnie the Barnevelder teased me with squatting for about 6 weeks. Beetle the Australorp and Ladybird the RIR did it for about 2 weeks and I suspect that is more usual.

So, not long now for an egg from the gold star!

Katrina
2 weeks? 6 weeks? wow that is really a long tease;) Being a gold star I am sure it should not be much longer now... I hope

Thanks Katrina... it does help. I could not remember what my Americana/ee did when they first started... I did get some egg song from them before they started... but again... not sure how long. This time I made a note of it in my calender. Its fun all over again;)

Country girl - thank you so much for your kind offer. My husband and I get up to Prescott several times a year - we are planning to retire in that area so we take weekends up there every now and then to do our scouting around. Have been to Olsens for the first time last time we were coming home from Prescott but they didn't have any chicks at the time. Will wait to to see how our EE does after a few weeks and then get back to you. Today she took the day off.

p.s. my meaties are getting bigger and stinkier every day. They are cute little buggers right now. Hoping they get really fat and ugly soon
hmm.png

No problem, I wouldn't mind at all if you need me to pick up babies - the more the merrier.
smile.png
Also, with the EE's, you usually have to be at the store within a half hour of opening. The first day I got there at 8:12 (they open at 8) and they were already sold out. I got there right before 8 last time and got my new baby EE on the second delivery day. The store in Chino is just a few minutes away from me so it's easy.

I'm interested to see how everything goes with the meaties... it's something I have been considering. We had to cull about 5 roosters a couple months ago for the first time and it was hard but we are still enjoying the meat!

Hmmm, so that's what it's supposed to look like. The one I had had a much smaller area for seeds to be in and the seeds were smaller and only about 8 of them. Bought another one at the grocery store today and decided to get the ripest one I could find, yellow and softer. So we'll see how that works, seed-wise.
Melabella,
This is the uber-ripe papaya I bought yesterday at the store. It's got a lot more seeds, nothing like the amount you have, and the seeds are rounder. I guess I just didn't buy a ripe enough one the first time. I hope there's enough seeds here for the girls to get the benefit.

Melabella,
This is the uber-ripe papaya I bought yesterday at the store. It's got a lot more seeds, nothing like the amount you have, and the seeds are rounder. I guess I just didn't buy a ripe enough one the first time. I hope there's enough seeds here for the girls to get the benefit.

Now that's more like it! That is a good amount of seeds, certainly they will reap the benifits! I look for them on the mark down shelf at my market, when they get very very soft. I have never tasted a papaya. I think I will give it a whirl next time. The seeds are supposed to have a slight peppery taste, and have are a natural dewormer. The peeps go nuts, and attack the seeds first, so apparently they must like them. Wait until the next time you feed one... they will remember!

to everyone who celebrates!

Back
Top Bottom