Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Melabella

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys,

I have 9(number of pullets) -16 week old pullets from a July 23rd hatch date. I have just started to observe small changes in my flock. So far, my one mis sexed Roo has started crowing regularly after finding his voice after weeks of funny and comical attempts. I am seeing small changes in combs growing and reddining on 4 of the 9 girls. No squatting or mating behaviour noticed. My nest boxes are still blocked off but thinking about opening them today, bedding them down, and putting the wooden dummy eggs in that I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents! Lots of places for my girls to hide eggs in my small acerage, they bed down for naps in heavy brush along my properties border, and also many tall mature everygreens they run too when a hawk flies over head, so I want them to get used to the boxes. No eggs songs either.

I realize this is a crazy time of year for pullets to start laying in my location as well, but I have read that with first time layers reaching POL that I will still see some. I am in Upstate New York. Also no molting till next year. I am almost done with my last bag of grower crumble and at 16 weeks, I think it is ok to start crossing over to layer. Also thinking of starting to make some FF for them.

I have 2 sex link production reds, who I think will be the first to lay as they are meant to reach POL early. One of them is redding up with the comb and waddles. 2 Black Australorp who are beautiful and getting very big! One of them has red comb and waddles starting. 2 RIR, not too much change in them yet. 2 Barred Rock, again, one has some small changes in comb and waddles in relation to size and color. One Columbian Wyandotte with no changes yet.

So, anyone want to join me in learning, sharing facts, and observing? I am a first time newbie, and would love to join someone in the anticipation and excitement! ANy and all suggestions are welcome! Hoping someone will join me! I am going to try and post some pictures so you can get to see my girls.

Let's get some eggs soon!

MB

Just got my first egg today! So excited and I think Rosie down there is too :weee

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!

A story to share: our black Australorp, Smokey, has decided her safe place to lay her eggs is on the sofa in the family room! Once she's done, she gets a treat, and then is happy to rejoin her flock and free-range in the yard until roosting time.

Come on guys,,, no one else in here with 16 week olds or about that waiting for eggs wanting to talk to an ol chick about their flocks.

We can wait and learn together!

Pretty plllleeeeeesssseeeee?
hide.gif

Don't leave me hangin...

Some signs your pullet may be close to laying

This is the egg squat
Really red combs and wattles

Mating - usually your rooster knows when you hen will be laying soon.

Checking out the nest boxes - mine would stand in them and lay down for awhile

Practicing egg song - both my layers would practice the egg song a few days before they layed their first eggs.

Fluffy butts and filling out - Someone here has noted that when they are close to laying their back sides look fluffier.

After you see all of these (or some) you will soon be getting these....
big_smile.png

I'm sure there are more signs but these are the one that I know
thumbsup.gif
feel free to add to the list.

I had a lot of reading to catch up on this morning! We got another 4 inches of snow last night, and school is cancelled again. It's 14 degrees outside, and tomorrow is Groundhog Day, but he's probably frozen in the ground, so he definitely won't see his shadow.
cool.png
Does anyone else here have problems with groundhogs eating their chicken feed? They are strong animals, and good diggers. I have a time keeping them out of my coop.

MB, your nephew is adorable! Little kids and chickens...2 of my favorite things.

Red, I love your daughter's drawing! How old is she? My daughter did this drawing last summer. I framed it.

That's supposed to be me and my Buckeye rooster. I told her he was going to be the biggest rooster ever when he grew up, and she took me literally.

Last edited:
We've been quite philosophical the last couple of pages and I'm adding my 2 cents. First of all, a huge thank you to Melabella for starting this thread and sticking with it for all this time. While we're all waiting for or bragging about our eggs, we are also telling stories, venting, helping, learning, sharing experiences and ideas and making each other laugh. In the few weeks I've been involved, I have learned a lot and have come to really appreciate having this place to bring my thoughts and questions without someone saying "this is not the thread for that'. I love seeing your pictures and reading your chicken stories. I'm grateful that you share your personal lives. I'm humbled by your kindness and helpfulness. Thank you all!

Now, back to eggs....yesterday I went out and found the four beauties all in one nest and posted a picture. Today I went out and found another four eggs, that looked just like yesterdays.....3 shades of tan and 1 beautiful blue. I brought them in and put them on the table to weigh. I didn't think much about Little Bit being on the table but as I turned around with the scale I was just to late to stop him from reaching out a paw and lazily shoving the blue on off the edge and watching it fall to the floor...****** cat!

I finally got it! Hard boiled eggs peeled perfectly! These were layed only 3 days ago and no chunking!

I set the timer for 10 minutes, as soon as they started boiling and let them boil till timer went off, I then filled pan with cold water and packed with ice. I think I only waited a couple minutes (was needing them quick) and all 4 were perfect!

Went out to check on the ladies today and found our first EGGS. There were six. We have 10 Buff Orphingtons and 10 Astralorps. Got them March 12. Way to go girls.
thumbsup.gif

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom