Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

So yesterday I went home to check on the hens at lunch and Naughty Margaret and Lucy were fighting over one of the nesting boxes. Lucy is molting so I thought she was just being mean.

Came back later on to find this in the previously empty box!

We didn't have any blue eggs yesterday but we got another brown one today. Hopefully there were some blue ones when my man gets home today. I'm out of town :-(

Well so for no eggs today, I think Liz Taylor was just teasing me with the one on the 19th.

MB, sorry your still having so much cold weather. Hang in there, it will get better.

So yesterday I went home to check on the hens at lunch and Naughty Margaret and Lucy were fighting over one of the nesting boxes. Lucy is molting so I thought she was just being mean.

We didn't have any blue eggs yesterday but we got another brown one today. Hopefully there were some blue ones when my man gets home today. I'm out of town :-(
Beautiful eggs, I got a pee wee egg on the 19th and nothing since then.

We've been quite philosophical the last couple of pages and I'm adding my 2 cents. First of all, a huge thank you to Melabella for starting this thread and sticking with it for all this time. While we're all waiting for or bragging about our eggs, we are also telling stories, venting, helping, learning, sharing experiences and ideas and making each other laugh. In the few weeks I've been involved, I have learned a lot and have come to really appreciate having this place to bring my thoughts and questions without someone saying "this is not the thread for that'. I love seeing your pictures and reading your chicken stories. I'm grateful that you share your personal lives. I'm humbled by your kindness and helpfulness. Thank you all!

Now, back to eggs....yesterday I went out and found the four beauties all in one nest and posted a picture. Today I went out and found another four eggs, that looked just like yesterdays.....3 shades of tan and 1 beautiful blue. I brought them in and put them on the table to weigh. I didn't think much about Little Bit being on the table but as I turned around with the scale I was just to late to stop him from reaching out a paw and lazily shoving the blue on off the edge and watching it fall to the floor...****** cat!

Such nice eggs! Most of mine are quite a bit smaller than that....and why is it they all will use the SAME box? I find four at a time in the same nesting box and I do NOT understand how none of them are broken. Today I put a dummy egg in the other box to see if it would entice anyone to use it....

Mine always use the same box. I have 5 hens... 3 of which lay pretty regularly now. I have 2 boxes right next to eachother. Maybe they fight tob lay first so they get to pick the box for the day? This morning I found two, TWO soft-shelled eggs frozen in the PDZ below their roosting spot. Maybe my other two are starting? Maybe they didn't know they had an egg ready, and held it til they relaxed for the night? IDK, silly birds.

I've seen that some of you have the egg skelter...ingenious! But how is it that when you put an egg in at the top it doesn't crack the egg it rolls into?
I think I'm going to have to get one although I wish it didn't take up quite so much counter space....

I've seen that some of you have the egg skelter...ingenious! But how is it that when you put an egg in at the top it doesn't crack the egg it rolls into?
I think I'm going to have to get one although I wish it didn't take up quite so much counter space....
I've wondered the very same thing xshoshin, especially if the skelter if full of eggs. How about some of these...interesting...

images

Back
Top Bottom