Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Okay so I know I have been complaining about my girls but today I got 5 eggs today before we went up to hubby's grandpa's. I came home to put the girls to bed I found a 6th egg!!!!

Okay so I know I have been complaining about my girls but today I got 5 eggs today before we went up to hubby's grandpa's. I came home to put the girls to bed I found a 6th egg!!!!
I love those late night eggs! I had one last night, and found it this morning, it was ice cold and the sun was just peeking up so I knew it had been laid last night late! Congrats on the 6th egg!

DRUM ROLL PLEASE
yesss.gif

I am SOOOO Excited to report that I had my first 3 egg day!!!
All my girls are laying and my EE gave us the prettiest light green egg.
It is the smallest of all. The girls are definitely paying it forward.

And the whole reason I got into chickens was to create fun
memories with our grandson. I'd say the chickens have
kept their end of the bargain!!!

couldn't wait to share with you all. Thanks again for sharing
the adventure.

I've seen that some of you have the egg skelter...ingenious! But how is it that when you put an egg in at the top it doesn't crack the egg it rolls into?
I think I'm going to have to get one although I wish it didn't take up quite so much counter space....
When I place the newest eggs in the skelter, I don't put it at the top, just at the top of the eggs currently there. When you remove the bottom egg (oldest one) they just roll down to replace it. Just the thought of placing it at the top and watching it roll all the way down, makes me cringe.
ep.gif

So sorry for the bad weather MB. Spring is here and you should be feeling it soon. I feel guilty for all the sun we get sometimes. But we pay for it later when we have water shortages. And it looks like it will be a bad year. It is like when we are all waiting for that first egg.... you are waiting for that first day of normal sunny weather. I wish you the best soon...
I know what you mean about worrying about the girls. I did a lot of re-enforcing around the pen... I have large bocks around to prevent digging and hot wire from the horse area has been extended to go around the pen. I have seen hawks and other birds of prey... the girls don't go out if I can not be there. The last hour or 2 of the day will be good for them.
I find it funny that everyone seems to have the same issue with all the girls using the same nesting box. I wonder why? I have a broody turkey... Matilda will climb in with her... around and under her just to lay her egg. Then the turkey will take care of it. Funny... It is funny seeing the turkey just put up with it.
I like the first egg holder you showed... It looked like it could hold more in less space. And it looks great as well.
This tread has been amazing. I feel like it has the best of this site. No judging and all the support a person could ask for and more. With out this thread I do not believe that I would have stuck around as long as I have. Thanks you everyone for being you and especially MB... for starting and maintaining the easy going nature of this area.
hugs.gif

So sorry for the bad weather MB. Spring is here and you should be feeling it soon. I feel guilty for all the sun we get sometimes. But we pay for it later when we have water shortages. And it looks like it will be a bad year. It is like when we are all waiting for that first egg.... you are waiting for that first day of normal sunny weather. I wish you the best soon...
I know what you mean about worrying about the girls. I did a lot of re-enforcing around the pen... I have large bocks around to prevent digging and hot wire from the horse area has been extended to go around the pen. I have seen hawks and other birds of prey... the girls don't go out if I can not be there. The last hour or 2 of the day will be good for them.
I find it funny that everyone seems to have the same issue with all the girls using the same nesting box. I wonder why? I have a broody turkey... Matilda will climb in with her... around and under her just to lay her egg. Then the turkey will take care of it. Funny... It is funny seeing the turkey just put up with it.
I like the first egg holder you showed... It looked like it could hold more in less space. And it looks great as well.
This tread has been amazing. I feel like it has the best of this site. No judging and all the support a person could ask for and more. With out this thread I do not believe that I would have stuck around as long as I have. Thanks you everyone for being you and especially MB... for starting and maintaining the easy going nature of this area.
hugs.gif
You are all so sweet thanking me! I remember starting it, I was so hard up for companionship while I waited,, so funny the first 2 days no one chimed in, I thought it was going to be one of those one page threads, and here we all are,, still talking chickens,, and turkeys too! lol... Fact is. .. WE all make this a great place to be. I am so happy to have you all as BYC friends, and think of you all often as the days goes by. I think of your peeps, and wonder how they are all doing. Thank you for giving me a wonderful place to come, check in, and talk about my chickens. I miss a few of the peeps who used to come by, I was thinking of sending a message, just to see how their chooks are doing. Also wonder how Red has been.. USVI has been quiet, so a big shout out to all of you. I missed responding to some posts, (sorry!)but am so happy for all the egg news! Please keep the updates coming. I never tire of hearing about new eggs. You guys are all wonderful, and I thank you for it!

Cat,, these pictures are hysterical. I have never seen a turkey brooding on some eggs.. she looks so funny all spread out like that. How nice she allows the chicken to lay there too. So NEAT!

Good night all! sooooo tired!

MB

DRUM ROLL PLEASE
yesss.gif

I am SOOOO Excited to report that I had my first 3 egg day!!!
All my girls are laying and my EE gave us the prettiest light green egg.
It is the smallest of all. The girls are definitely paying it forward.

And the whole reason I got into chickens was to create fun
memories with our grandson. I'd say the chickens have
kept their end of the bargain!!!

couldn't wait to share with you all. Thanks again for sharing
the adventure.
Those eggs are just perfect! Is't it sooooooooo satisfying to just look at them. I still do that. When I reach in, I am just still tickled, and look over the egg and roll it over in my hand while I carry them to the house. The picture of your grandson showing that chicken the egg is awesome. Nice color too, Love it!

I reallly like these

And this one too,, perfect to hold the days eggs to keep track too...I swear, I get mixed up some days! Because we eat some as soon as we walk in the door with them, I forget!

Back
Top Bottom