First egg questions

Wisconsinted

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
Hello,
I got three barred rock pullets the first week the first weekend in June, and got my first egg this past Friday. Needless to say I was excited. It was one day short of 20 weeks owning them, but I'm assuming she was between 20 and 21 weeks old when she layed as I bought her as a chick, assuming almost a week old.. I have two that look like they could lay, with dark red waddles and comb, and the third is kind of a late bloomer still with a pink comb and waddle, so I'm assuming it's not her, even though I got all eggs when I was at work or out and didn't know who laid. the one I'm suspecting is a beautiful pullet with a defined waddle and has been more advanced per se then the others. Since then, I've got an egg a day except for Sunday, so I have received 5 eggs. I had an egg sandwich with first two eggs Sunday(best egg sandwich ever) and the first egg wasn't a big egg, but I'd describe as medium, with a double yolk, which was awesome. The next 4 eggs were all small eggs. Not a big deal I'm excited to get eggs and know pullet eggs are small and they get bigger. The question I have is do you think this is the same pullet, and their first was just bigger, or could both the potential layers be laying? I'm sorry if I have noob questions as I'm excited to see eggs anytime but at this point I don't know if I only have 1 or 2 layers yet. they say 4-5 eggs a week for barred rocks, and its 5 in 6 days. Hopefully I have a superstar to be honest, but I'm not sure as that seems like a lot if it's 1 layer. but the egg size is throwing me off.

Hello,
I got three barred rock pullets the first week the first weekend in June, and got my first egg this past Friday. Needless to say I was excited. It was one day short of 20 weeks owning them, but I'm assuming she was between 20 and 21 weeks old when she layed as I bought her as a chick, assuming almost a week old.. I have two that look like they could lay, with dark red waddles and comb, and the third is kind of a late bloomer still with a pink comb and waddle, so I'm assuming it's not her, even though I got all eggs when I was at work or out and didn't know who laid. the one I'm suspecting is a beautiful pullet with a defined waddle and has been more advanced per se then the others. Since then, I've got an egg a day except for Sunday, so I have received 5 eggs. I had an egg sandwich with first two eggs Sunday(best egg sandwich ever) and the first egg wasn't a big egg, but I'd describe as medium, with a double yolk, which was awesome. The next 4 eggs were all small eggs. Not a big deal I'm excited to get eggs and know pullet eggs are small and they get bigger. The question I have is do you think this is the same pullet, and their first was just bigger, or could both the potential layers be laying? I'm sorry if I have noob questions as I'm excited to see eggs anytime but at this point I don't know if I only have 1 or 2 layers yet. they say 4-5 eggs a week for barred rocks, and its 5 in 6 days. Hopefully I have a superstar to be honest, but I'm not sure as that seems like a lot if it's 1 layer. but the egg size is throwing me off.
Take a peek at their vents; the layers should have wide, moist pink vents vs. smaller/drier non-layers. My Barred Rock pullet is a champion layer, nearly every day; her eggs are a more rounded, yellowish brown compared to her other-breed flock mates. She's a plush feathered floozy, squats in front of me and almost DEMANDS that I stroke her back firmly & pet her whenever I'm in the chicken yard. Are all of yours squatting for you? (My 2 Easter Eggers never squat but put out lots of lovely green eggs; all the other girls started squatting just before their first eggs.)

I would be guessing, but I would say 1 bird is laying. The first egg was larger because of the double yolk glitch. (Not a concern with a first egg). In my experience when a duel purpose bIrd starts to lay they have a streak of laying almost every day. I even see this in my silkies sometimes and they are not known for their egg laying abilities.

check their vents if you can get a hold of them I press their back with my left and lift their butt feathers with my right. You’ll know who’s laying and who’s not, a laying hens vent looks moist and the slit wide enough to fit a quarter or bigger

Back
Top Bottom