Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

So sorry for you and your family.
hugs.gif

Good Morning everyone! Thank you everyone for wonderful hugs...Now....Onto the egg watch!

Dusted last night here about a half inch of snow everywhere...uggg..

Very windy still and coooooollllddddd....

I want a fresh egg over easy with my fresh ground coffee!

MB

Sorry for your loss MB.

The jumbo eggs are double yolkers, I cracked my first one today and my daughter cracked the second jumbo both double yolkers. I have even had a triple yolker out of my girls. One of the first group of eggs when I cracked one, it was a double the second another double and the third was a triple yolker. I find it so exciting because with first eggs I hear it isn't uncommon to find double yolkers or yolkless eggs. I haven't found a yolkless egg yet. And I find it lucky that I have only had 3 shell-less eggs.

My girls get very upset when they are not let out into the bigger outer pen. I have an 8x12 inside coop, an 8x8 covered outer coop, and we are working on a larger un-covered outside area. For now we have a section of fencing that we move around a little with some netting on top (some of my girls can get 6+ foot into the air). They love being in the bigger run, I would love to let them wander around my yard, but too many people are irresponsible with their dogs around here. They sure get into a routine and don't like it when their routine is disrupted.

MB I think you will eat eggs more often when they are fresh. I used to eat eggs maybe once a month, now I eat a couple eggs almost every day.

Yay for longer days!

still waiting..... get a move on Bella!! her mother (in the middle) is the only hen laying now!

Happy summer solstice from Down Under. It is 37 degrees Celsius here, so very hot. I have just given the girls grated zucchini which I have frozen. And added icecubes to their water. I will let them out later then usual today as their run is very shady and the silly things can run around too much and then start panting with the heat. Three eggs from four girls today. Barnie keeps going into the nesting box but hasn't produced anything so far. She seems well so I assume she isn't eggbound, just working herself up to laying.

The good news for all those in the northern hemisphere is that the days will start getting longer for you now. Happy egg watching all.

I am starting to notice more red in the combs and wattles in three of the girls but nothing really in the other two. Also no actual squatting or egg songs. They are all about the same color red as the white rock, but the lighting is not good. They were hatched July 30,

I'll join in on the wait. I just got into the backyard chicken thing :) I have 4 ladies that should be laying already (I've gotten 1 egg from Pearl, the second day she moved in) nada from the rest or since. 3 that are a few weeks away and 5 little ones that are months away. I've had my chickens for about 2 weeks now and nothing! I am sure it's a bunch of different factors. One is getting over a molt, pearl just started molting, the stress of the move, shorter days... yadda yadda i am sure the list goes on. Can't wait to see some eggs though! We used our last store bought egg yesterday... I didn't want to have to buy anymore but I think I might get eggs from someone local instead.

Back
Top Bottom