Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I'll join in on the wait. I just got into the backyard chicken thing :) I have 4 ladies that should be laying already (I've gotten 1 egg from Pearl, the second day she moved in) nada from the rest or since. 3 that are a few weeks away and 5 little ones that are months away. I've had my chickens for about 2 weeks now and nothing! I am sure it's a bunch of different factors. One is getting over a molt, pearl just started molting, the stress of the move, shorter days... yadda yadda i am sure the list goes on. Can't wait to see some eggs though! We used our last store bought egg yesterday... I didn't want to have to buy anymore but I think I might get eggs from someone local instead.
Welcome Noirchats!
So happy to have you on board! So you have 9 girls all together? That is how many I have. What breeds do you have?

I am sure that you will be kicking in soon, agreed about the move. I just had to buy another dozen myself, but I do buy them from a local woman who free ranges her girls...

Keep us posted!
MB

99 degrees... That is a warm day Spike. We get to that in the summer here. I am very lucky that it is in the 60's here in the day. We don't often go below 40 degrees at night but we will occasionally.
D.gif
I was woken up this morning to a wonderful sound. Egg Song from both of my girls. Before only 1 would sing. Funny... I can tell there voices are different. I know they both only wanted out but it was good to hear this. I put them both out and I got an egg squat from one girl when I went to pet her. Then the other came up for her turn. I am so eggcited
yesss.gif

I put the turkey hen out with my girls. She is doing well. The Mugwort seems to have really worked. She looks horrible in her wound area but it is healing and all the infection seems to be gone. She really takes care of the chicks. I found her holding off one of the big girls. Not in a painful way but she made it clear... 'Don't harm the little ones" I am thinking I may bring her in for the next batch of chicks. She may be the Tia (Spanish for Aunt) to chicks after all this. Would be great since I heard it can be hard to integrate new members to a flock. Maybe not if they have a turkey looking after them. After she heals and in the spring I will be watching her for eggs as well. She is over 9 months old.... ummmm turkey eggs.
Hi, Noirchats. I am very new to all this as well. It is great to have this site for all the info and support. I have heard the same thing about moving and stress on birds. I wish you all the best... hopefully it wont be much longer now.

Still only 1 egg again today. This has been the slowest months for eggs. I am really thinking about adding a light in the coop. I keep saying that. Maybe I will on hubby's day off that way I will have some help. Greta my EE is now 34 weeks 4 days and still no egg from her. I have found in the last 2 weeks that her behavior has really changed. She has let me pet her and pick her up, which I haven't been able to do since she was 8 weeks old. I talked with her for good 5 minutes yesterday telling her how pretty she is ans that she needs to lay me a pretty colored egg. Yes, I am a crazy chicken lady. I hope she listened to me! Maybe we need to have daily talks.
hu.gif

NO EGGS YET!!!
he.gif
I have decided that when I check this afternoon if there are no eggs I will be having a discussion, should we say. Some of the props for this discussion will include a rather large pot and a bunch of vegetables! Perhaps this will get my point across to the girls. I want an egg and I want it now!
big_smile.png

Then again they all may have been talking and working out a plan to all lay eggs on christmas day, which would be a great plan!

Merry Christmas to all and may all your egg boxes be full tomorrow!

Early Christmas present today from my girls - after two weeks of one egg a day, a second hen has finally started laying
yippiechickie.gif

I think it's my barred rock. My RIR eggs are getting bigger each day. The new egg is the smaller brown one that is a little deformed. (But still precious.) They are 24 weeks on Wednesday, so hopefully some of my other heavier breed ladies will also start to lay soon.

Merry Christmas to all! Hope Santa brings us all some eggs!

Oh, and not sure if this could be helping things along, but I do have a thermostat-controlled infrared light in my coop. Since temps have gotten lower here in the past week or so, it has been on almost 24 hours a day.

Early Christmas present today from my girls - after two weeks of one egg a day, a second hen has finally started laying
yippiechickie.gif

I think it's my barred rock. My RIR eggs are getting bigger each day. The new egg is the smaller brown one that is a little deformed. (But still precious.) They are 24 weeks on Wednesday, so hopefully some of my other heavier breed ladies will also start to lay soon.

Merry Christmas to all! Hope Santa brings us all some eggs!
Those are some Beautiful eggs! congrats
thumbsup.gif

Still no eggs, but I'm noticing that the squatting behavior from the one hen is becoming more prevalent.The other day I reached down and she did a full squat. But now she's squatting whenever I come around. I gave her a good pet as she squat and she kept back up to me until she shuddered and then shook and went on her merry way. I guess it was good for her!
lol.png
I heard one of the other girls singing the egg song very loudly. They were out roaming (I gave in and let them have some free time today in the yard), so I went running to look where she was (had to step around the squatting chicken to find the singer). She had left the other girls and headed back to the coop!!! No egg, but definite signs! Come on girls! I want a Christmas egg!!!!

Back
Top Bottom