Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

wee.gif
yesss.gif
wee.gif

I'm so sorry Melabella. I got another egg today. Your girls are the same age as mine but maybe that it is because it is way colder in your area... I also will be wishing you eggs. I love the pic of your flock. They look nice healthy and colorful girls. I still miss my other girls...

At least today I found out who the egg layer is. It is the smaller black headed girl in my avatar. I caught her at it since they were in my room... I know... but it was raining this morning and then we had hail.... they do have some shelter in the pen but I was being lazy. Well... very busy too. But it was funny to see the whole process. The other girl was the one singing. The black headed girl didn't sing till after she was done. I should name these two...
The new egg is the exact same color and weight as the first egg.

Since I had an issue with my other girl... She was pooing blood... I found on a thread that said I should use a special de-wormer. Though that thread did not seem to give much hope to the chicken in question... my girl pulled throw. But that thread said to de-worm everyone. I have done this. So can I eat these eggs? The thread seemed to think that it was OK to do so.... What do you think?

Xanadu... welcome. I was going to ask if you and the others give your girls extra protein? I sometimes give them wet cat food (just a bit), small black sunflower seeds (for wild birds) and meal worms. I know we are supposed to give extra calcium but sometimes they do need this. I will catch my girls eating small feathers and that is what I read. That they need more protein...

wee.gif
yesss.gif
wee.gif

. But that thread said to de-worm everyone. I have done this. So can I eat these eggs? The thread seemed to think that it was OK to do so.... What do you think?
Cat,

I have read many times on here if you use wormer on your chickens NOT to eat the eggs for two weeks as Nastyck says. What a drag, finally get eggs, and now you can't eat them!
th.gif
arghhhhh.

Better safe than sorry!

Here are two little natural methods to control parasites....

Do you use any ACV in your water?
use​
unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
in their fermented feed and in their water. The U-ACV has many benefits, including making my chicken’s digestive tract a “hostile environment” for parasites.​

I feed my birds chopped​
pumpkin seeds
every now and then – it’s a natural, organic de-wormer… and the chickens think it’s a delicious treat.​

MB​

I am also a big believer in the benefits of using apple cider vinegar. I add it to their water, and I use it to make fermented feed. There's a lot of research showing it's digestive benefits. Fermented feed improves egg size and quality, and helps them recover from various ailments.

I started making fermented feed on the advice of someone in the forums after I adopted some birds who were sick and malnourished. It was kind of amazing how much those birds improved with the feed. It also stretches my feed supply further. They can't scratch it out of the feeder, and not a single drop goes to waste. They love it.

I am also a big believer in the benefits of using apple cider vinegar. I add it to their water, and I use it to make fermented feed. There's a lot of research showing it's digestive benefits. Fermented feed improves egg size and quality, and helps them recover from various ailments.

I started making fermented feed on the advice of someone in the forums after I adopted some birds who were sick and malnourished. It was kind of amazing how much those birds improved with the feed. It also stretches my feed supply further. They can't scratch it out of the feeder, and not a single drop goes to waste. They love it.
I have thought about making some fermented feed for my 5 chickens but it kinda scares me I will have to look more into it.

Went out and let the girl free range while I changed their nesting materials and got the fresh water. I gave them some oatmeal to get them to come back in to their run. Just as I was closing the door and counting them I heard a hawk screeching from a tree two houses away. It flew over and screeched again I am pretty sure it was cussing at me. But again No egg yet from Greta or any of them for that matter.

Oh ****. 2 weeks.... Wellllllll..... I was thinking of blowing out the eggs to save the shells of my first eggs anyway. This really sucks... but it is better to have live birds especially when that one bird was so sick.
Thanks so much on the info for deworming them next time. I will look into the pumpkin seeds. My girls love seeds from melons I am sure them will like these as well. REally love all the info and help from everyone. Thanks.

I went out this morning to clean off the girls' poop board and I FOUND AN EGG!!!
wee.gif
It was laying on the board in the corner, and had cracked on its way out, but IT'S AN EGG!!!!!
celebrate.gif
I was so tickled I almost didn't know what to do with myself! Here it is, next to a "medium" egg from the Farmer's Market. I couldn't take a picture of it where I found it because it was too dark and I didn't have a camera with me at the time. Now, if the girls will only figure out what the nest boxes are for....

Back
Top Bottom