Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hi everyone!
I think my flock is about the same ages as some of yours. Ive got two Ameracauna and 1 RIR that were hatched in late August and two Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock roos that are about the same age. The roos are just starting to get the lovely tails and posturing at each other. No crowing yet. I'm not sure what my neighbors will do but when that starts they have to go. No eggs yet, either.
Here's a pic of the flocklet. that's one of my baby Roos at the end of the line.

I'm in Northern California, in the Santa Cruz mountains. Its been chilly here but not really cold. I free range my flock most days. I've also just added two 10 week old SP rock hens to the mix. I really like the SP Rocks. My roos are very sweet and friendly:

Here are the two new ones.

I've been feeding the older birds Layena mixed with scratch and lots of treats from the fridge. They had some excellent Xmas leftovers. 8) I've been thinking of adding vinegar with mother to their water.

I'll take a look at the earlier posts, but I'm wondering if any of yours have laid and what I should be doing to encourage eggs.
Thanks!
Leslie

Hi everyone!
I think my flock is about the same ages as some of yours. Ive got two Ameracauna and 1 RIR that were hatched in late August and two Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock roos that are about the same age. The roos are just starting to get the lovely tails and posturing at each other. No crowing yet. I'm not sure what my neighbors will do but when that starts they have to go. No eggs yet, either.
Here's a pic of the flocklet. that's one of my baby Roos at the end of the line.

I'm in Northern California, in the Santa Cruz mountains. Its been chilly here but not really cold. I free range my flock most days. I've also just added two 10 week old SP rock hens to the mix. I really like the SP Rocks. My roos are very sweet and friendly:

Here are the two new ones.

I've been feeding the older birds Layena mixed with scratch and lots of treats from the fridge. They had some excellent Xmas leftovers. 8) I've been thinking of adding vinegar with mother to their water.

I'll take a look at the earlier posts, but I'm wondering if any of yours have laid and what I should be doing to encourage eggs.
Thanks!
Leslie
Hello Leslie!

Welcome to the thread, so happy to have you! Love the pictures of your birds! Those two rock hens are adorable, and beautiful!

I don't think there is anything that we all can do to bring on eggs except feed them well, house them protectivly and just WAIT! lol,...

I have a small flock, 9 pullets,, and one roo. They were a July 23 hatch, and are in their 23rd week. About 3 weeks ago, I took the doors off the nest boxes, but clean straw in them, and a couple of dummy eggs in each one. I did this when I noticed reddened enlarged combs and waddles growing, and mating behavior starting. I just got my first egg on New Years Eve, and have one egg since. I think I have two different girls laying as the eggs were two different shapes and colors. I wish it wasn't so blasted cold out here in New York, or I would spend my usual time observing, but I race through my chores, cleaning the horse stalls, and race back inside. Standing outside the coop and run is just too darn cold!

I add Unpasturized Apple Cider vinegar to my water, I think it is wonderful! If you start, make sure you don't use a metal waterer, as the vinegar reacts with the metals, and is toxic to your chickens. I am also thinking of Fermenting my feed when the weather is warmer. Everyone who has done so swears by it's strengths.

Please keep us posted about your flock, we will wait with you! Having people here really helped me get through the anxious weeks leading up to my first eggs. Now I can't wait till they are all laying.

Good Luck!

MB

Hi lesliedow, I am in California as well. The other end of it though
frow.gif
I am in the San Bernardino area. Cold but not any were near what Meleabella and the others are dealing with. Though we do get some very strong winds here. A bad Santa Ana wind can get as high as 80 - 100 mph in some areas. Lucky for us we don't get that bad.You have some beautiful birds. Those rock hens are very cute.
My girls a little older but not much. When they were chicks I also had some turkey chicks. That meant I had turkey stater mash (higher protean) and they all got that. Its a little more expensive but my girls are laying and are bigger then my friend who got the same kind of chicks from the same place. Its a little late for that now but it might be something to think about the next time you have chicks. I use the black sunflower seeds, meal worms, cat food and fresh veggies as well. Oh... and sometimes a little of the alfalfa from the horses...
Good luck with your girls... It will be great to see some more blue eggs here. 3 eggs away from my first doz...
Melabella thanks again.. I hate that I have to waist these eggs (due to the de - wormer). I will try the vinegar thing but I didn't know the metal container. Lucky I still have some of my old containers that I can put that into. I am so lucky I found this website and the people here in this thread. Thanks again to everyone.

I am so lucky I found this website and the people here in this thread. Thanks again to everyone.
I feel the same way CatSol,

I love the big BYC family, and the peeps on this thread

Have you ever checked out the Natural Chicken Keeping thread? It's wonderful! I have learned so much from some very experienced chicken keepers there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/729605

Also, a wonderful Natural Chicken keeping blog that is chock full of information on natural methods, and just good practical old fashioned tried and true chicken advice.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/ See the index of topics on the left side of the blog page, and you will have a load of information at your fingertips!

MB

I got an egg today!!! The worst part is that i'm out of town. Hope we get another one tomorrow. I cant wait to see it when i get home.
Congrats Redangler!

Hope whoever collected it put it in a safe place! My first was on New Years Eve, and I got on the 1st and today! I think I have two different pullets laying

Do you know who laid it? When you get home we want pics!

Congratulations again!
MB

Hi nakstk,

What is in your 6 grain scratch. Did you purchase it from a feed mill? I have9 girls, and I think 2 have started to lay, I wish the other 7 or 8 would join in! You are right about the next time,, I've only gotten 3 eggs so far, but I am still so very excited!

MB
There is Wheat Cracked Corn, Oats, Barley, Milo and Sunflower Seeds. I bought it from the feed store today it's called Beaver Brand it's manufactured in MicMinnville, Or. It has 10% protein in it and it wasn't too much. It was $12.99 for a 40 lbs bag. The 8% with just Cracked corn and barley was a 50lbs bag for $14.49. I know 10# more for just a few $ more might have been a better deal but I an going to sprout some of this for them too. I just switch my girls from 20% hi lay back to a 16% layer pellet. Most of them are finished with their molting and are just boycotting laying eggs. lol Last year my SS girls did SO good at egg laying but this year they are not. Their combs haven't even grown back to normal size from their molt. Spring time can't come fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom