Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Well that is all good information. Know about the rarity of some birds. Wanted to try
and find some baby chicks of the Colombian Rocks breed....not out there. Contacted one breeder
and he just sell eggs to hatch. Said he would hatch some for me but didn't sex them
and they were sort of expensive. Sooo...don't really want to go the hatching route. Don't want
any roosters in the hen house either so having a difficult time time finding sexed baby chicks
of that variety. They are such lovely look at chickens...black and white.
Like you, am new to the chicken raising so this website is a blessing for getting answers
to questions a person might have.
Thanks for your interesting post.....
D.gif

Hi Brynansmommie! Don't know how you snuck in the door without a warm ol to the group! WOW, you've been waiting since April! You desearve an award for patience! So happy you finally have gotten an egg for all your hard work and waiting! Maybe the smallish eggs were from your bantams. What kind do you have. I am no expert by any means, but to the best of my knowledge, you will get some shade of green/olive or blue eggs from your EE's. I don't think I have ever heard of an EE laying brown eggs. Anyone with them chime in here? I too am dreaming of eggs of different colors. Black Copper Marans lay the most beautiful dark chocolate brown eggs.. WOW Hope you come back often, would love some pictures of your girls! MB
Thanks for the warm welcome. I think the eggs are coming from one of the EE'rs. They were bought at the feed store so you never know. Her eggs have been getting bigger every day but today's was HUGE. I am hoping it's a double yolker. It is oddly shaped too. I am looking forward to the day when I will get to fill a egg basket in the morning. ;) It's funny that you mention Marans. I saw a craigslist ad in my town for pol black copper marans today. They say they are laying 7 and 8' s on the color scale. Tempting
. I am including a pic of yesterday's egg and today's egg. do they look pink to you?

I spoke with an old farmer and he suggested giving my hens Turkey feed. He said the higher protein might help them lay. Anyone else heard of this? Is it worth a try? What can I get a small bag? AND how would I know they laid because of the feed since my one girl just started laying?

Higher protein wont really help them lay. It is good to give them higher protein if they are molting or if you are trying to weight on them. Just give them a few weeks to get in a routine. The egg takes 25 hours to form and make its way through the chickens body. Chickens need about 14 hour of (day)light per day to lay consistently. Once they start laying 16% protein is fine any more then that will just put fat on them. Too much protein can cause kidney damage and lead to death.

You think a few more weeks will do it? I am getting frustrated at this point. I mean they are almost 10 months old now... I certainly don't want them to go into kidney failure... I just want eggs.

Where do you live? I live in Washington State and I have one chicken an EE that just started laying on Friday, she Hatched out April 25th. The others are not laying that well right now either. I have heard from many people on here that they will start picking up on laying around the middle of Feb. Some say that adding pepper to their food or treat will make them lay but there is not much you can do food wise to force them to lay. Adding light to the coop will trick their body into thinking it's spring/summer. Then again I have also heard that the longer a pullet waits to lay the better layer she will be and the less problems she will have with internal laying and/or vent prolapse.

Last edited:
I live in Maryland and the 3 EE' s (sold as americaunas at a feed store) were hatched April 19. The one who started laying this week is my only layer. I also have 4 other hens hatched in May. We got 2 rir and 2 barred rocks in March but 3of them were roos and the forth laid for a couple of days then started laying doubles then triples then she skipped a day and died. (at 16 weeks) I think she was egg bound. Since then... no eggs. I hope they all start laying soon. They are old enough.

Last edited:
You think a few more weeks will do it? I am getting frustrated at this point. I mean they are almost 10 months old now... I certainly don't want them to go into kidney failure... I just want eggs.
You are not alone! This thread is full of folks waiting on EEs to start laying, including me! I have a mixed flock of Ameraucanas and EEs. Some hatched April 21, and the other 3 weeks later on May 12. I got my very first EE egg yesterday from one of the May birds. None of the others have started laying yet. EEs and Ameraucanas are notorious for starting late. There's really nothing you can do but make sure their getting adequate nutrition and water, and then just wait. If one has started though, then the others are sure to follow soon!

Back
Top Bottom