Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

my RIR is 27 weeks, and stilll not laying.. she is killing me.. and i my Wyndotte I was told is a good Month older, and no eggs from her... bought to have me a chicken dinner.. theses girls are killing me!!!!

and 239 posts to catch up on... Happy for everyone getting eggies!!!
Rose, Hand in there baby! The days are getting longer, and if your girl is heritage, she is right on time! My Wyandotte just started laying as well, she is 28 weeks!

We feel your frustration! xo
MB

MB that must have been a horrible time for you and your family. I am happy for all of you that he has mobility and he is alive. That is an amazing blessing after so horrible event. The home you found sounds great.... from the pics that you have posted it does look lovely.

I never married and I do not have children yet. So, after I finished one degree I went back home. My mom and I shared a small place so we saved money. I finished my BA degree and she retired. We used to do a lot of traveling then we decided that we really do want more room then a double wide mobile home. We had rent control from the 80's... we saved a lot... did I say that;) We house hunted for a year... I was not sure that we would find what we wanted in this area. But I did not want to go too far ... That would take my mom away from her remaining sisters. I found this place on-line and we had to really wait... it went off the market... then back on. But to find a house with at least an acre.. (I had wanted 5 acres) and a house with one floor .. mom may not always have good mobility. That is not easy in California. The horse communities are normally very expensive. We found this house in an area that has its issues... but the house is a 7 yr old on an 1.5 acres. I am 20 mins from most of the colleges that I worked at. Close to freeways if I get other work... The house is on one floor. We are at the end of a dead-end street. People just don't see us here, so we are safe and I am close to open area to go ridding. We are very lucky. We have plenty of room if I do meet someone and/or have kids. I have a little time left... so there is still hope;)

A Chicken Mega resort... sounds like a great vacation place for chicken people who want to see chickens and for the chickens themselves as well. Love it..

I love that egg skelter... I so want one.

When we escaped Long Island, NY's ridiculous real estate taxes, because our oldest  was starting college, (we have 4 to send), we moved 2 hours upstate NY, following east of the Hudson River to halfway between 2 of the racetracks DH worked at.  He was a  professional athlete at the time, and we knew his career only had 3/4 more years left.  We sold the 100 year old colonial that I had painstakingly restored to the last minute detail and bought this property with cash from the sale.  NO mortgage!  Woo Hoo!  We had hoped for 10 acres, but a property deal on the sellers end fell apart,, It was my dream house and property, we had to rent for a year.  WE looked, and looked, and could find nothing in our price range.  Just when I was thinking we would be renting forever, this property opened up.  Half the size house we are used to, really, a prefab box, BUT it had a beautiful barn, paddocks, and indoor riding arena!  It was only 6 acres, but it's a dream come true!  Right after we bought, DH had a career ending injury, became permanently disabled to go back to do his job,(he is walking thank GOD), but our plans changed of saving all his earning for the last 3/4 years with no mortgage to pay.  So plan B, and we adjusted, and I am so very thankful he wasn't paralyzed for as serious as he broke his neck,(for the second time I may add!).  I am actively looking for a second shed, or used coop to start a second flock, as with the 9 girls, I just don't seem to have enough eggs for our family, and to gift/sell.  So, chicken math will indeed take over here, and I am constantly on the Internet dreaming of my second flock...the breeds change constantly! 

MB

MB I am so sorry to hear about your husband's injury. I hope he makes a spring recovery. Chicken math takes over quickly. I have 4 but want 20. Lol lucky for me my hubby is suffering from chicken math too.

my RIR is 27 weeks, and stilll not laying.. she is killing me.. and i my Wyndotte I was told is a good Month older, and no eggs from her... bought to have me a chicken dinner.. theses girls are killing me!!!!

and 239 posts to catch up on... Happy for everyone getting eggies!!! 

I hear you on this. My girls hatched in April and May and so far I only have 1 laying! It is so frustrating! But the days are getting longer and I know that soon they will ALL be laying. Hang in there! I get tired of waiting and plan a new flock. I get over excited. Lol. I am expecting new eggs in the mail soon though ;)

When we escaped Long Island, NY's ridiculous real estate taxes, because our oldest was starting college, (we have 4 to send), we moved 2 hours upstate NY, following east of the Hudson River to halfway between 2 of the racetracks DH worked at. He was a professional athlete at the time, and we knew his career only had 3/4 more years left. We sold the 100 year old colonial that I had painstakingly restored to the last minute detail and bought this property with cash from the sale. NO mortgage! Woo Hoo! We had hoped for 10 acres, but a property deal on the sellers end fell apart,, It was my dream house and property, we had to rent for a year. WE looked, and looked, and could find nothing in our price range. Just when I was thinking we would be renting forever, this property opened up. Half the size house we are used to, really, a prefab box, BUT it had a beautiful barn, paddocks, and indoor riding arena! It was only 6 acres, but it's a dream come true! Right after we bought, DH had a career ending injury, became permanently disabled to go back to do his job,(he is walking thank GOD), but our plans changed of saving all his earning for the last 3/4 years with no mortgage to pay. So plan B, and we adjusted, and I am so very thankful he wasn't paralyzed for as serious as he broke his neck,(for the second time I may add!). I am actively looking for a second shed, or used coop to start a second flock, as with the 9 girls, I just don't seem to have enough eggs for our family, and to gift/sell. So, chicken math will indeed take over here, and I am constantly on the Internet dreaming of my second flock...the breeds change constantly!

MB

Oh wow MB, what an ordeal for your family. I'm so glad his injury wasn't more serious than it was!

I envy you guys with horses. The farm next to the farm where I grew up had horses, and I rode a lot when I was young. I haven't been on a horse since I was a teenager though. I would love to go riding. We live a quarter mile from some of the most beautiful stables I've ever seen. They offer trail riding, but it's so expensive.

A Chicken Mega resort... sounds like a great vacation place for chicken people who want to see chickens and for the chickens themselves as well. Love it..

Lol, maybe! Last year, I did build fold-down seats in the run, so I could sit and watch the chickens. In the summer I go out every morning with my coffee and sit in the run for at least an hour. I usually take treats, and the chickens hop up in my lap. See...I'm still in my pj's.

I put hinges on the seats to pop back up so the chickens wouldn't poop all over them, but somehow they find ways to poop on them anyway.
I can't wait for warm chicken watching weather.

Good morning everyone,

Just checking in, I am sooo glad today is Friday. My work week is over at 1:00pm.

The girls are all doing fine. I got six eggs yesterday. My egg tray is full so I actually shared my eggs with my brother-in-law. He was excited to get them. I told him for the next week he can have whatever they lay.

Quote:
Hey Brooster! I just saw that you are in NW North Carolina! I am in Forsyth County in a little town called Belews Creek. We just got a deluge of rain last night to it was muddy doing chicken chores this morning. I had 6 little mille fleur d'uccles hatch (out of a batch of 7 eggs I ordered through BYC) in the past 24 hours and am just so tickled with them. I have never had bantams and their tiny little size is just adorable! So, the wait begins for me! You all are a lot farther along than me, but I do have some year-old hens that are giving me about 16-20 eggs/day.....so I will just be patient. Enjoy reading this thread! Angela

Hey Brooster! I just saw that you are in NW North Carolina! I am in Forsyth County in a little town called Belews Creek. We just got a deluge of rain last night to it was muddy doing chicken chores this morning.I had 6 little mille fleur d'uccles hatch (out of a batch of 7 eggs I ordered through BYC) in the past 24 hours and am just so tickled with them. I have never had bantams and their tiny little size is just adorable!So, the wait begins for me! You all are a lot farther along than me, but I do have some year-old hens that are giving me about 16-20 eggs/day.....so I will just be patient.Enjoy reading this thread!Angela
Hi Angela!

I actually do know where Belews Creek is. I got my Ameraucana eggs from a farm in Stokesdale. My BF is from the other side of Forsyth county in Clemmons. I live in up Foscoe, halfway between Boone and Banner Elk. We got a mix of snow and rain last night, and my chores were slushy this morning. The kids are on a 2 hour delay. I won't object to 2 extra hours of sleep on a Friday.

6 out of 7 is a great hatch on shipped eggs! I'll bet those chicks are the cutest things ever. Do you have any pics? My daughter is dying for some bantams. I promised her we'd hatch some this summer.

Katie

Hi Angela!

I actually do know where Belews Creek is. I got my Ameraucana eggs from a farm in Stokesdale. My BF is from the other side of Forsyth county in Clemmons. I live in up Foscoe, halfway between Boone and Banner Elk. We got a mix of snow and rain last night, and my chores were slushy this morning. The kids are on a 2 hour delay. I won't object to 2 extra hours of sleep on a Friday.

6 out of 7 is a great hatch on shipped eggs! I'll bet those chicks are the cutest things ever. Do you have any pics? My daughter is dying for some bantams. I promised her we'd hatch some this summer.

Katie
Wow! We drive right through Foscoe on our way to our place in Banner Elk!! So, I know right where that is. Maybe we could meet sometime. Stokesdale is our closest little grocery store - maybe 5 miles. Wish we had a 2hr delay on a Friday - you don't have to make those late days up like you do the all day closures :)

Yes, I have had really good luck with all my shipped eggs this year. I've had super hatches and I am just using the same old LG incubator I've had for several years. I did get a new Brinsea in December and got 4 Isbar chicks from the 5 eggs that were shipped to me. I've got 7 blue ameracauna eggs in it now and they should hatch next week.

I will get some pics of these little Mille fleur d'uccles - they are adorable! I probably won't keep all of them - I just thought they were so pretty and cute and would add some color to my flock :)

Hooray for Friday!
Angela

Back
Top Bottom