Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hey all. Just checking in. I've been having 4-6 eggs a day.I caught 2 of the girls who are not laying yet setting in the nest boxes and the other scratching in the boxes.

What I did to keep them from totally scratching all the hay out was add another 2 1/2 inch lip to the 2 inches orginally on the boxes, that keeps most of it in.

Looking forward to a 9 eggs a day. I so am loving the taste of my fresh eggs that I cooked store bought eggs today and I could not eat it. Now I am spoiled...
Yay! That'll add up fast :) I did the same to our nestind boxes. Also have a lip on the coop where we open the doors. Our max will be 8 eggs a day! Only up to 3 right now. Have a great night, here's to mant eggs!

Ooooh. My girl is making herself comfy in the nest boxes(finally) and squatting! I feel an egg is a coming!. Yeah! Of course I may still have to wait for a while but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Ooooh. My girl is making herself comfy in the nest boxes(finally) and squatting! I feel an egg is a coming!. Yeah! Of course I may still have to wait for a while but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Sure is! My girls got very cozy in the nest boxes right before the eggs started! Love when I see them in there!

Good Luck!
MB

I got 2 eggs today and when I put them in the carton with the others I noticed the color was a bit different the the others which means I now have 2 Speckled Sussex laying again!! I have also noticed that Phoebe and Daphne have really slowed down their laying I am wondering if it's due to Greta's disappearance? The 3 of them were raise together since they were chicks.

Jyurina Sounds like your girl is getting really close to laying.

We are starting the 2nd week of February. which is the week that, from what I have read, is the week when laying really starts to pick up for a lot of chickens. I guess we shall see.

MB - so glad you are alright! Hope you are starting to dig out from all that snow. Been thinking about you all....and all those who have been slammed with that storm.

Our nesting boxes are those metal type that attach to the wall - they have a pretty deep lip on them so the shavings or hay can't really be scratched out. We bought the nest boxes from a guy who took them out of a huge chicken house operation. He sandblasted them and cleaned them , replaced the perches with cedar ones and they look like new.

I've got some blue ameraucanas that should hatch this week! So exciting. This will be my last batch of babies for a while - grad school started back last week :(

We are really enjoying these little tiny miller fleur d'uccle bantams. Cannot get over how tiny they are and so feisty!! Does anyone else have bantam babies? They don't seem to eat hardly anything.....I know they are because they are now 5 days old, but it sure isn't much. Just too darn cute!

Congrats to everyone that is starting to get eggs - I know that is so exciting! I look forward to collecting eggs every day - wondering how many they will give me. If hubby collects them before I get home, it is always a bit of a let-down! LOL!

Angela

Everyone! Wow what a mess it is out there. Now it just bumped up to 33 degrees so it's freezing rain out. The 2+ feet of snow is going to get so heavy. Then every night it goes down to the teens, so for sure, a mess of ice. I can't wait till spring... yuck, yuck, yuck!
Quote: ARE YA LISTENING ALL YOU PULLETS OUT THERE!!!!!!! Get layin!

MB

MB - so glad you are alright! Hope you are starting to dig out from all that snow. Been thinking about you all....and all those who have been slammed with that storm.

Our nesting boxes are those metal type that attach to the wall - they have a pretty deep lip on them so the shavings or hay can't really be scratched out. We bought the nest boxes from a guy who took them out of a huge chicken house operation. He sandblasted them and cleaned them , replaced the perches with cedar ones and they look like new.

I've got some blue ameraucanas that should hatch this week! So exciting. This will be my last batch of babies for a while - grad school started back last week :(

We are really enjoying these little tiny miller fleur d'uccle bantams. Cannot get over how tiny they are and so feisty!! Does anyone else have bantam babies? They don't seem to eat hardly anything.....I know they are because they are now 5 days old, but it sure isn't much. Just too darn cute!

Congrats to everyone that is starting to get eggs - I know that is so exciting! I look forward to collecting eggs every day - wondering how many they will give me. If hubby collects them before I get home, it is always a bit of a let-down! LOL!

Angela
Hi Angela!

I've got one thing to say..... PICTURES WOMAN! I want to see those tiny little babies, for now, I will live vicariously through you! They must be so adorable. Good luck with grad school, way to go!

MB

My Light Sussex lay brown eggs---they are supposed to be very light brown with a tinge of pink, but I now have three and they all look pretty brown to me. The first one is the far right. It is the most brown. I'm guessing at least two different chickens due to color...maybe three because I got on the 9th and one the 10th. The dates were: Feb. 2, Feb. 9, and Feb. 10.

My Light Sussex are very friendly. I feed the girls grass out of my gloved hand. I have to wear a glove because sometimes they miss. I can pick the girls up without them trying to peck me. Roosters are another story, but they aren't bad. I had EE roosters and these are a whole lot more friendly than those were.

They are about 21 weeks old.

I hope to sell eggs once they start laying well. Or chicks, but I hate to ship them so I'd rather do pick up only.

I have kept the picture of them at about 4 weeks as my avatar because they are so cute.

Here's my first three eggs. Small so far, but hey---EGGS!!!
celebrate.gif

My Light Sussex lay brown eggs---they are supposed to be very light brown with a tinge of pink, but I now have three and they all look pretty brown to me. The first one is the far right. It is the most brown. I'm guessing at least two different chickens due to color...maybe three because I got on the 9th and one the 10th. The dates were: Feb. 2, Feb. 9, and Feb. 10.

My Light Sussex are very friendly. I feed the girls grass out of my gloved hand. I have to wear a glove because sometimes they miss. I can pick the girls up without them trying to peck me. Roosters are another story, but they aren't bad. I had EE roosters and these are a whole lot more friendly than those were.

I hope to sell eggs once they start laying well. Or chicks, but I hate to ship them so I'd rather do pick up only.

I have kept the picture of them at about 4 weeks as my avatar because they are so cute.

celebrate.gif

Congrats! 21 weeks, huh? Mine will be 21 weeks tomorrow. Getting so close.
fl.gif

celebrate.gif

Congrats on your first eggs!!!!My first eggs were also small, I thought they were so cute!!! They are getting bigger as the weeks go by.

Back
Top Bottom