Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Good morning/afternoon! cloudy and rainy here 48 degrees. What a day for a first track meet. Good thing we live close to the school. Today's meet is an away meet up in Longview so only 20 minutes away but I drop my son off at the school and I am not even down the hill from the school a 1/4 mile and I get a phone call that he doesn't have his keys to his locker so he can't get his track cleats out. So I race home and back to the school in under 8 minutes got back to the school and some of the kids were already on the bus. This is an invitational meet and my son is only doing one event High Jump so it would not have turned out well if he couldn't get to his cleats. I am not looking forward to sitting out in the rain today but a moms gotta do what a moms gotta do.
Oh gosh nak, been through this myself, so much so I could just scream! My tale from today was my son informed me that he offered to bake something for a fundraiser for the Europe trip he is going on at the end of the school year. He told me that it had to be dropped off by 10am. He is on a sleep over, I called, and called, and called, and he never picked up the phone. I drove to the restaraunt that I thought he told me the bake sale was going to be held. Well, everyone was meeting at the restaurant, and driving 25 miles to the next town to have the bake sale at a busy shopping plaza. Since I arrived at 10 min after 10, they all had allready left, and you got it, I had to drive the 50 miles round trip to drop off 2 batches of 7 layer bars..... NOT happy mommy.

Good luck to your son in the high jump! My oldest was a wonderful cross country runner, and my third son seems to be following in his footsteps.

MB

My son is also a cross country/ track athlete! He had an invitational this morning. I so hear you guys on the running around and losing stuff. I can't even tell you how many times my son's cleats, uniform, or compression sleeves have been in the wrong place when he needed them. And he is always telling me about events last minute.

My son is also a cross country/ track athlete! He had an invitational this morning. I so hear you guys on the running around and losing stuff. I can't even tell you how many times my son's cleats, uniform, or compression sleeves have been in the wrong place when he needed them. And he is always telling me about events last minute.
I saw the pictures on your website when I was cyber stalking you one day, enjoying all your knitting, beautiful stuff Brooster! Your son is built exactly like my oldest...long lanky thoroughbred legs. Gotta love it Good Luck to him as well. I love that they run! I was a runner as well in high school.

Check out this picture of him when he lost his shoe one meet. Someone climbed up his heal on heart attack hill, and ripped it off. He was doing super well, and didn't want to stop. He finished 4th,, running the last two miles with only one shoe. .His name is Joseph... he truly was "Shoeless Joe" that day.

357_43751468208_3512_n.jpg

We got our third egg today. Pretty sure it wa Annabelle. Tori is still talking her head off & squatting. Hope is squatting and panting an cooing but no egg yet. We got 2 18-month old Barred Rock hens today. So far one is being a little mean to the others...here's hoping they end up mixing well. Margaret has been the meanie, Lucy is starting to molt so she's kind of docile.

Well I finally got the old coop pulled down. Hermia complained for over an hour, followed me around yelling. I finally had to take her into the shed and sit on the floor for half an hour till she finally chose another box and laid the darn egg. Then she yelled some more. We are in the 90's for the last few days so the soujourn to the shed wasn't pleasant. She is such a pill!
D.gif

It's our first two egg day!!!
ya.gif

We've now reached a grand total of 4 and I'm guessing there are 3 hens responsible, based on color/size. Just guessing of course because they are so tricky...but 3 of those are really small (34-38grams) "beginner" eggs and they are all different colors. I am almost positive today's second egg was courtesy of the Australorp, and the others could belong to the barred rock or the cochin. I'm thinking not the silver laced wyandotte because her comb is still not very red (but again, who knows because Apple's isn't either.). And of course definitely not the EE because they are all shades of brown.
I suspect the Australorp kicked the first egg out of the nesting box (i found it on the floor) in order to lay hers there. You'd think she could share.....or use the other nesting box.

I have got to finish naming these girls! So far the barred rock is Velcro because she follows me around so much and the Cochin is Apple because of her "rounded corners"...I started calling the EE Brownie, but it just doesn't feel right.

Brownie???? Velcro Apple the Silver Laced

the Australorp...

Last edited:
I saw the pictures on your website when I was cyber stalking you one day, enjoying all your knitting, beautiful stuff Brooster! Your son is built exactly like my oldest...long lanky thoroughbred legs. Gotta love it Good Luck to him as well. I love that they run! I was a runner as well in high school.

Check out this picture of him when he lost his shoe one meet. Someone climbed up his heal on heart attack hill, and ripped it off. He was doing super well, and didn't want to stop. He finished 4th,, running the last two miles with only one shoe. .His name is Joseph... he truly was "Shoeless Joe" that day.

357_43751468208_3512_n.jpg
MB, love this pic! Such determination! I showed Drew and he was really impressed.

Thanks for the compliments on my knitting. I'm really behind on my designing deadlines right now. I can't even think about it. I've spent way too much time with the chickens, and enough with my needles. (do you have any knitting emoticons?)

Nakstk, that's cool your boy jumps. I'm always so amazed watching the field events at Drew's meets. Drew is long distance only. He prefers cross country season, but he's expanding his track events this year. They have him doing some mid distance stuff. He's battling some minor injuries as well....always with the injuries! It seems like every time he conquers one, the pain moves to a different place.

You couldn't have paid me to run in high school. I played soccer, and mostly because I had a crush on one of the ball boys. Sports were more of a social club for me. Last summer though, Drew got me to start running with him. And by with him, what I really mean is that we start at the same place and meet at the car later. Drew runs a 5 minute mile. I run a 10 minute mile. He's literally twice as fast. We've been doing a lot of charity races together, but my training fell off over the winter, and I'm struggling to get back on a schedule.

My hatch has slowed down to a near halt. I have 12 chicks from 22 eggs, and 2 pips. I thought I'd see some action from the other 8 by now. I'm a little concerned.

MB, love this pic! Such determination! I showed Drew and he was really impressed.

Thanks for the compliments on my knitting. I'm really behind on my designing deadlines right now. I can't even think about it. I've spent way too much time with the chickens, and enough with my needles. (do you have any knitting emoticons?)

Nakstk, that's cool your boy jumps. I'm always so amazed watching the field events at Drew's meets. Drew is long distance only. He prefers cross country season, but he's expanding his track events this year. They have him doing some mid distance stuff. He's battling some minor injuries as well....always with the injuries! It seems like every time he conquers one, the pain moves to a different place.

You couldn't have paid me to run in high school. I played soccer, and mostly because I had a crush on one of the ball boys. Sports were more of a social club for me. Last summer though, Drew got me to start running with him. And by with him, what I really mean is that we start at the same place and meet at the car later. Drew runs a 5 minute mile. I run a 10 minute mile. He's literally twice as fast. We've been doing a lot of charity races together, but my training fell off over the winter, and I'm struggling to get back on a schedule.

My hatch has slowed down to a near halt. I have 12 chicks from 22 eggs, and 2 pips. I thought I'd see some action from the other 8 by now. I'm a little concerned.
Ask and you shall receive! How cute is that, seriously? Ha Ha HA

How old is Drew again? That is an impressive mile. Joseph was the same way, a mile was a dead sprint for him. The longer he went the better. In horse racing we call a long distance horse a plodder. He was my handsome plodder. I used to adore to watch him run. He trained so hard, I just couldn't get over it. When he went off to college, he got some running money, but ended up burning out, and dropped it after the first semester. He just couldn't wake up at 5 am 6 days a week, and concentrate on school, and lets not forget the social life. lol.. but he did well. His best mile was 4:38 as a senior, 5K was 16:45, and his best 5 mile was 28:20. He is the kind of runner who could do marathons... go all day... same speed. I hope one day he picks it back up,,, for fun, at his pace. He used to say he wanted to do the NYC marathon, who knows. That is something that definitely has to come from within. I wish I could run any more. One of my knees is shot, the best I can do is walk. I love to walk, can't wait until it warms up a bit, I have to start to move, I'm a slug!

Good luck with the rest of those chicks. I hope they are ok as well. How are the other chicks doing? I went to TSC today to get some rabbit pellets, and they had some dark Brahmas there. I really want a couple of those. So pretty, and the chicks seemed so mellow. The other breeds where so electric. They also had some speckled Sussex, pretty chicks. I just walked out, hands in my pockets!

MB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom