Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Sav a Chick. Is good to have on hand too.

My chickens are not liking this weather change we are having. I am not too fond of it either. We went from 55 degrees on Tuesday, 70 Wed, 79 Thurs, 77 Friday and 82 today It got too hot too fast. My girls did nothing but lay around today, they didn't even lay any eggs. I went from 6 eggs a day to 0. :(

I've got buckets, I've got Braggs....going to start my first batch of fermentation today. I've also decided to make my own mother, so I've got a gallon of cheap ACV that I'll innoculate with Braggs and then I should be good to go (Braggs is expensive!!!!).

On another note....every one seems to love the Egg Skelter but I am not enthusiastic....I guess I thought it was going to keep those eggs gently rolling down on their own....did not expect to have to hand move each and every egg on the thing every time I used one!!! May be wanting to replace that with something else someday...

I've got buckets, I've got Braggs....going to start my first batch of fermentation today. I've also decided to make my own mother, so I've got a gallon of cheap ACV that I'll innoculate with Braggs and then I should be good to go (Braggs is expensive!!!!).

On another note....every one seems to love the Egg Skelter but I am not enthusiastic....I guess I thought it was going to keep those eggs gently rolling down on their own....did not expect to have to hand move each and every egg on the thing every time I used one!!! May be wanting to replace that with something else someday...
I did that same thing with the ACV. My hubby works at Fred Meyer and we get a 10% discount on anything from the nutrition dept. Braggs is only $3.49 there. The Shopping Center in our town is a privately own store and they want $7.59 for it there. But they had a bottle of Heinz ACV with out mother on sale for $1.99 so I dumped part of it out and filled it up with Braggs kept it in the pantry for a few weeks and it grew a nice mother.

I would like to join in to,i have a Rhode Island Red hen that was born in oct.or nov. and she still hasnt started laying yet,dont know the reason but i am waiting paitently for her to start.

I've been so curious about fermented feed but I can't quite figure out WHAT to ferment? Their regular layer pellets? Scratch? Special seed mixes??? Anyone really familiar with this process? If you could just point me to VERY DETAILED instructions because, as you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about this process.

Also, reading about the various mishaps, diseases, and owies that can afflict the hens, can someone recommend the basic first aid supplies I should have on hand for my chickens? Again, assume I know nothing (because you will be right!).
Hello all.. I was wondering if I could join in? I have 2 hens sitting on 12 eggs..( only one laid them but for some reason they both are setting on them). They are due to hatch around the 11th of this month and I am very excited... 1.) Because these are the first that we have hatched( we had the hens given to us after they where grown and quite abit older, and the roosters we purshased as chicks) and 2.) We bred her with our Beautiful Easter Egger
smile.png
. We recently had to do a little repair to our cage, something MUST of been getting the eggs because she/ they started out with 15 eggs and now are down to 12
sad.png
( and we never found any remnants of the eggs, so fingers crossed we have fixed however whatever it was from getting in.
Congrats! Don't forget to share pics! You might also want to check out this broody thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-informational-thread/17390#post_11119548

I think every chicken owner should have Vetricin spray and gel on hand. Of course hydrogen peroxide. Nu Stock is another important must, it is a wonderful ointment to treat a vast assortment of things from cuts and scrapes to vent issues as well. Also some vasaline and wound kote. Rooster Booster pick no more is another. It is always good to have two or three rolls of vet wrap around as well. Anyone else to chime in? What do you all have in your chicken medicine box?

MB
I think you covered most of it - I have vet wrap, nustock, blukote, neosporin (pain-reliever free), poly-vi-sol (without iron) and extra saddles to help protect the wound, especially if the roosters are being a little hard on the girls.

I would like to join in to,i have a Rhode Island Red hen that was born in oct.or nov. and she still hasnt started laying yet,dont know the reason but i am waiting paitently for her to start.
My RIR started laying around 22 weeks. she was born at the end of October. Do you have others that have already starting and you are just waiting on her? I bet it will be any day!!

They did it!!! They all laid an egg today!!!

So glad they did after everyone taking a break yesterday!
Yay!!

Wow...I've been offline for a while and I come back to such sad news! KD and Melabella...I am so sorry! We fur/feather moms are so quick to feel that we've failed when sometimes stuff just happens too quickly. We do our best for our "kids"...that's all they ask. Sad sad sad....it so hard to lose a companion.

I've been so curious about fermented feed but I can't quite figure out WHAT to ferment? Their regular layer pellets? Scratch? Special seed mixes??? Anyone really familiar with this process? If you could just point me to VERY DETAILED instructions because, as you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about this process.

Also, reading about the various mishaps, diseases, and owies that can afflict the hens, can someone recommend the basic first aid supplies I should have on hand for my chickens? Again, assume I know nothing (because you will be right!).

JK....AWESOME coop! I am jealous....

Thanks for the kind words. Almost a week now,,,,,sad, sad. Anyway, as to the first aid. The 2 things I have used repeatedly are the Blue Kote and the Rooster Booster ointment. I would have like to have had something for bleeding, like that syptic powder. I didn't have any for Liza's little foot injury so I used corn starch instead. It worked somewhat but came off quickly. I would like to find something that takes the poo off their hind feathers quicker than water LOL 2 of mine have yukky butts- I see one got hers fairly clean but my RIR is messy, messy-- and she's the one that won't let me touch her.

My last EE to lay is working hard but no egg. She was in the nesting box for 3 hours today...still nothing. She even made two nest in 1 box. One on each side. I feel bad for her..i want to help her along! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom