Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Well I joined and then disappeared haha...It was so beautiful here I got the gardening itch and cleared brush around our barn (no leaves yet) only to discover it was poison sumac and poison oak..yea me! day 10 and it continues to migrate all over my body. On another note someone asked what breeds I have :) We build our coup last november and I wanted chicks and I wanted them now so I ordered Australorps, silver laced wynadottes, and 2 EE (13 total), 8 weeks later and some serious chicken math on the mind I made a second order of 15 chicks which include BLRW, buff brahmas, australorps, and blue splash marans. Now some may say 28 chickens is plenty but oooooh no not me. We decided to hatch some catdance silkie eggs and a few ameraucana eggs. I ended up with 9 silkies and 3 ameraucanas...the 3 ameraucaunas ended up being roosters. I then rescued 2 chicks animal control picked up..not sure what breed they are thinking cinnamon queen and production white bird of some sort.

I'm done adding to the flock as of now haha.

Now on to the egg laying....went grocery shopping yesterday to come home and find one of the girls in a nest so I sat on the lawn outside till she came out and sure enough one of my silver laced wynadottes layed a bantam sized brown egg. I was sooo excited. Now everytime I walk into the coup the girls jump into the nests like they are checking things out! I am soo happy they know where the eggs go. especially since we don't have a run installed and are debating doing it at this point because the girls love running our home orchard and thats what I got them for in the first place (bug control). Our property butts up against woods and thats where the girls migrate for shelter or under my deck. I always keep an eye out for eggs there too. But now that I have this wonderful case of poison sumac/oak I dont foresee me venturing into the woods once there are leaves! I will take some pics later so everyone can meet the girls but for now heres my first egg
clap.gif

Hi crafty,,, she is a plain black wrapper.. not much to look at, and so very flighty, I can never get close enough to her to get a decent picture. Here is a picture of her the first day I had picked them up from the breeder.. both are Black/Lavender split Ameruacanas.

look at this picture of Clark from the other day, he had just sounded the alarm that a hawk was flying over... I love the green sheen to his feathers when the sun hits him

Last edited:
Well, Sadly since I was last on here, We seem to have a case of Infectious Bronchitis running through our Chickens. We lost 2 of the 5 ExBattery Hens(white leghorn), 2 Buff chicks, 2 Barred Rock chicks. And 1 RIR chick, but I think it died from the antibiotics! Within an hour of adding the water/meds to the symptom free/healthy brooder chicks, this on became lethargic. Appeared exhausted. It just slept til it died. Is it possible for them to have a reaction to the meds? Because my brooder is still healthy. I also wanted to know if anyone knew if a kitten with a respiratory infection could transmit it to my chickens?
On a positive note, 1 of my ExBattery hens now has a nicely feathered back, so her molt is almost done! Eggs are a'coming! Yay! I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom