Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

That sounds exactly like a shell less egg.. They can sometimes just be that white membrane, or they can have a bit of a shell, but it's totally mushy, like a balloon. Here is one I had,, looked just like an egg, when I reached in to get it out, my thumb made an indent in it....

My barred rocks 1st egg was a shellless egg, just the membrane encasing the yolk/white. She laid one other soft egg but all other eggs are perfect. I offered some oyster shell and started saving shells of eaten eggs and crushing them up and they eat both.
That sounds exactly like a shell less egg.. They can sometimes just be that white membrane, or they can have a bit of a shell, but it's totally mushy, like a balloon. Here is one I had,, looked just like an egg, when I reached in to get it out, my thumb made an indent in it....

Last edited:
MB, isn't that funny, it looks just like a regular egg otherwise!

Mine looked similar to the above picture that MotherCluckin posted, but with no yolk or white on the inside, which I found odd. It actually looked similar to a snake egg since it was small and white and my first thought was OH CRAP!
barnie.gif
I think it must have been someone's first try. I did put a little extra oyster shell out for them today so I am sure she'll get it right soon!

Last edited:
A few times I had one hen lay an itty bitty one (no yolk just white but hard shell.) Then she laid a double yolker that barely fit in my hand lol poor girl. She's a month into laying now and all is well. Patience in the beginning they'll work it out!
MB, isn't that funny, it looks just like a regular egg otherwise! Mine looked similar to the above picture that MotherCluckin posted, but with no yolk or white on the inside, which I found odd. It actually looked similar to a snake egg since it was small and white and my first thought was OH CRAP!
barnie.gif
I think it must have been someone's first try. I did put a little extra oyster shell out for them today so I am sure she'll get it right soon!

A few times I had one hen lay an itty bitty one (no yolk just white but hard shell.) Then she laid a double yolker that barely fit in my hand lol poor girl. She's a month into laying now and all is well. Patience in the beginning they'll work it out!
Look at my lil bitty egg... and it was fertilized too!

I am REALLY getting tired of Phoebe being broody.
barnie.gif
A few times a day everyday I go pull the eggs out from under her and put her in the run. She always growls at me. She keeps her feathers puffed up and runs around the run making pigeon noises. Like she is cooing to something. Everyone else picks on her. They have been really mean to her. She used to be 2nd in the rank but not now. I also caught one of my SS in the nest box at night with her last night. Hoping that was just a fluke and she is not going broody too.

I am REALLY getting tired of Phoebe being broody.
barnie.gif
A few times a day everyday I go pull the eggs out from under her and put her in the run. She always growls at me. She keeps her feathers puffed up and runs around the run making pigeon noises. Like she is cooing to something. Everyone else picks on her. They have been really mean to her. She used to be 2nd in the rank but not now. I also caught one of my SS in the nest box at night with her last night. Hoping that was just a fluke and she is not going broody too.
I feel for you, I had a few days of my Australorp doing this. When it became apparent she wasn't going to snap out of it, I put her in a dog crate, with the plastic tray removed (so she only had wire to stand on). I raised it on bricks so she couldn't comfortably sit down. And so cool air got underneath her (not good conditions for egg sitting, right?). I gave her food and water and she was set up in a covered part of the run, so the pecking order wasn't too disrupted. She had two days in there, so only one overnighter. That really upset her, as she could see the other girls going up the ramp to the coop. Next afternoon I let her out and kept an eye on her. If she headed to the nesting box and fluffed herself up, making the broody noises, she'd have been straight back in the crate "sin bin". Thankfully, that was enough for her. She decided motherhood didn't seem such a good idea after all.

It was my first broody-breaking experience and I did have to steal my heart. But after a week of just tossing her off the nest, I knew I needed to increase the stakes till she gave up. Apologuies you if already know what to do and you just needed to express your irrits. I know what that's like too!

Of course, this being chicken luck, she then went into a moult and hasn't laid since. But she sure ain't broody!!!

MB - Love the little egg. Been busy for a bit and just catching up on all the eggy news.

ATB
Katrina

Last edited:
I'll join! I've got a small flock of 8 pullets: 4 Australorp and 4 Red Stars. They are 12 1/2 weeks old and in mid-puberty right now! lol They're molting at the moment, but a couple of the girls have already gotten noticeably redder/larger combs and wattles, and one of the Reds has started flattening herself down to the ground when I go to pick her up. I have the feeling she'll be the first one to lay for me.
Cheers,
Katja

I'll join! I've got a small flock of 8 pullets: 4 Australorp and 4 Red Stars. They are 12 1/2 weeks old and in mid-puberty right now! lol They're molting at the moment, but a couple of the girls have already gotten noticeably redder/larger combs and wattles, and one of the Reds has started flattening herself down to the ground when I go to pick her up. I have the feeling she'll be the first one to lay for me.
Cheers,
Katja
Great Katja,,

My first was a production red too. she laid at 22 weeks, but that is because it was January,, you have daylight on your side! You don't have long to go, and WELCOME to the group!

MB

Back
Top Bottom