Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Ahhhh I feel like I have had one problem after another! I have two hens that were laying. One has stopped due to the fox attacking her and the other stopped for 2 days, laid a soft egg that burst in the nest and now hasn't laid for another two days! What is going on with my poor girls?!

maybe stress due to that fox attack. I know what you mean, when I was having problems with my hens, I thought maybe I should consider not having farm animals. LOL Hopefully, they will settle in and relax. Maybe some electrolytes might help? Is the one that was attacked very badly wounded?

We have 3 hens. We bought 5 birds 'pullets' at the beginning of the year, but 2 of them were roosters. The red and black hens are SO noisy. We have them in our backyard in a subdivision in the middle of an Urban city. Our neighbor on the side of the house that the coop is on is ok with it, we asked him...but the rest are renters that we don't know. It is allowed in our city, but there are lot size restrictions that I am not sure we meet. I will be really sad if we have to get rid of them :( Our cop friend says his sister who lives in a similar neighborhood 1/4 mile away has had chickens for years without issue.

We have 3 hens. We bought 5 birds 'pullets' at the beginning of the year, but 2 of them were roosters. The red and black hens are SO noisy. We have them in our backyard in a subdivision in the middle of an Urban city. Our neighbor on the side of the house that the coop is on is ok with it, we asked him...but the rest are renters that we don't know. It is allowed in our city, but there are lot size restrictions that I am not sure we meet. I will be really sad if we have to get rid of them :( Our cop friend says his sister who lives in a similar neighborhood 1/4 mile away has had chickens for years without issue.

I feel your pain. I am trying to rehome my rooster right now, but honestly the loudest of the group are the hens especially when they ALL join in with their "egg song"

I feel your pain. I am trying to rehome my rooster right now, but honestly the loudest of the group are the hens especially when they ALL join in with their "egg song"

We ate our roosters. I thought it would be hard, but I was surprisingly ok with it. We are meat eaters, I much prefer growing our own to supporting the sad conditions commercial chickens are raised in.

Hi all. Trying to play catchup... I have been real busy. But I did get my 3 little blue Andalusians from another BYC person. They are doing great and are even out with the big girls. They are now about about 10 weeks old.. Very little issues with them being out there.
But what do I have inside? 4 little broad-breasted turkey chicks. They are only 10 days old and today...2 of them started to strut... So silly looking for such a little thing to try that. There is one of the toms that I have to separated sometimes... he is being a little to aggressive with the others. He is already bigger then the other 3 ... even the other tom. He just may be Thanksgiving... if he makes it that far.
Right now I only have 4 girls laying eggs. There is one that should be laying and is not. I have 2 Cuckoo Marans that are the same age... but only one is laying. They are now about 7 months old... I am still not too worried. I have seen some people wait as much as 8. But I thought that it would be the Orpingtons that would be a long wait. Oh and the other Maran... she started with light colored eggs... now they are nice and dark. Thought that was weird but I love it... I am sure not complaining about that.
I will try to have some pics in the next day or so. Congrats to all the new eggs out there...

So I was unable to collect a pair of eggs from yesterday and collected them and today's 4 a lil while ago (10:30pm or so). Weather was in the 80's both days.

Normally I'm on those eggs as soon as the girls drop them lol they're clean, are they safe?

It's been hot and rainy but they were nice n neat in the nest box.

Need opinions or help everyone.

1st--What is your experience with worming? I saw roundworms in poop so i treated the flock with Wazine only. Its killing me throwing away all these eggs! Is Wazine enough? Do I retreat?

2nd--Broody pullet!!!! My white EE is wanting to sit ALL day. She is 6 mos old and no eggs are fertilized. Ive locked her out of coop for 3 days. She goes directly back to nest box and sits. HELP! Any advice is appreciated

Im sooooo tempted to order some pure Ameraucana eggs and put them under her!

Need opinions or help everyone.

1st--What is your experience with worming? I saw roundworms in poop so i treated the flock with Wazine only. Its killing me throwing away all these eggs! Is Wazine enough? Do I retreat?

2nd--Broody pullet!!!! My white EE is wanting to sit ALL day. She is 6 mos old and no eggs are fertilized. Ive locked her out of coop for 3 days. She goes directly back to nest box and sits. HELP! Any advice is appreciated

Im sooooo tempted to order some pure Ameraucana eggs and put them under her!

Can you treat worms with diatomaceous earth instead of chemicals? I have no idea if this is possible or not with birds, just a thought that occurred to me when I read this. I would be heartbroken throwing out eggs :(

Can you treat worms with diatomaceous earth instead of chemicals? I have no idea if this is possible or not with birds, just a thought that occurred to me when I read this. I would be heartbroken throwing out eggs :(

I use DE in the coop and a little mixed in with food. From what ive read it will help prevent worms but not kill an infestation. I also give ACV in water. I clean coop everyday...i have noticed as it has gotten warmer there are more flies. We plan on making huge run for hens and treating rest of yard

Back
Top Bottom