Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Just out of curiosity, what is the earliest you have had a pullet start laying?

My earliest layer was one of my red sex links-she laid at 18 weeks exactly. My other red laid two days later, followed a week later by one of the black sex links.So all of them were laying by the beginning of May. My other black sex link just started laying a week or so ago! They are all the same age so it just depends on the chicken.

Our first egg, laid on 6/7/13- our 5 year wedding anniversary lol. What a gift. No more since then, but that was sweet of her. Laid by one of our ex battery hens finally done with her molting. Hoping to have the other ex battery leghorn laying by the end of this month. My young white leghorns will be 15 weeks the end of this month. So maybe by July we will be getting 6 eggs on some days! We are eggcited for that!

We are going to need more chickens to keep up with our egg demand. We eat about 6 a day. Two a day for me and my husband and one each for the kids. My husband and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary this month too! We got our first green egg today, the EE decided to lay one. I think the chickens are adorable. Our red laid her egg all by herself, but when the black was in 'labor' she was right there by her side in the nest coaching her on. Today the EE nested for the first time and the black was by her side coaching while the red stood close by to keep guard. It is so cute watching them together.

Congrats on all the first eggs!!! I remember how excited I was - have pics all over on BYC and facebook - LOL.

We are going to need more chickens to keep up with our egg demand. We eat about 6 a day. Two a day for me and my husband and one each for the kids. My husband and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary this month too! We got our first green egg today, the EE decided to lay one. I think the chickens are adorable. Our red laid her egg all by herself, but when the black was in 'labor' she was right there by her side in the nest coaching her on. Today the EE nested for the first time and the black was by her side coaching while the red stood close by to keep guard. It is so cute watching them together.

It is so sweet how they seem to support each other when they first start. Mine did, now they don't they just pace and squawk outside waiting for their turn. LOL

We have a flock of about 40 birds: Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Black and Blue Cooper Marans, and Silver Laced Wydottes. They were all born in March so I think we have a while to go before we see any eggs. Although one of my marans was making this horrific donkey like noise and then squating down!

We have a flock of about 40 birds: Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Black and Blue Cooper Marans, and Silver Laced Wydottes. They were all born in March so I think we have a while to go before we see any eggs. Although one of my marans was making this horrific donkey like noise and then squating down!
welcome to the thread sherry1313!

That sounds like a wonderful mix... my next flock is going to have some Marans...love them.

Please come back often, and let us know how they are doing.. we love pictures!

MB

That's a lot of chickens. How many roosters? Once they start squatting, it's usually only a couple of weeks or so before they start laying. Maybe she's an overachiever.. LOL

That's a lot of chickens. How many roosters? Once they start squatting, it's usually only a couple of weeks or so before they start laying. Maybe she's an overachiever.. LOL
We have about three roosters in the bunch I think. We got rid of three. The verdict is out on a few birds still so we will see once they start laying. She may be an overachiever for sure. I'm worried she is sick as she makes some weird noises. But she otherwise seems healthy. We have a big black cooper maran rooster temporarily with us until my friend picks him up and he has been trying to get busy with my ladies! LOL It's funny to witness. They are not very happy about it!

Back
Top Bottom