Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I was counting back and realized that my leghorns are 14 weeks! We are getting so close! I feel like I finally belong on this thread haha.

In other news, I am really struggling with free-ranging. Caught dogs going after my girls again yesterday. They managed to pluck a few feathers but thankfully no serious injuries or losses. My babies (4 weeks) are doing well and the older members of the flock are doing very well around them with supervision. I did lose one randomly the other day but I have no idea what caused it. My guess is choking. It was my Ameraucana chick that I had purchased to replace the one we lost to those same two dogs a few months back. If I could gather my wits enough to get the airsoft gun those dogs would be getting a pop in the hieny. I would rather not shoot to kill unless I have to, but I am getting close.

Anyways, 4 more weeks or so and I should be getting some eggs!

I read back through quite a few, but missed some posts. I went out to trim the wings of my birds, they are free range, but we can't have them hopping into neighbor's yards, lol. Anyway, I posted my double yolker from my Austrolorp back when mine finally laid first week of this month. It was her only egg so far. I noticed she had a large breast and felt it today, it is sour crop :( I am so upset. So, I guess that explains why she isn't laying? Right? haha, maybe she has more problems than just that. This AM I went out and puked her, all I did was flip her upside down, her crop was so full it came running out all on it's own, NASTY! I then syringed some home made yogurt down her throat, hopefully. Since I did that she has been hanging out at the back door staring in at me. I think she loves me :) I hope we can get it fixed. Going to go out for some monistat in a little while. I read it works and I want to get her healthy!

I was counting back and realized that my leghorns are 14 weeks! We are getting so close! I feel like I finally belong on this thread haha.

In other news, I am really struggling with free-ranging. Caught dogs going after my girls again yesterday. They managed to pluck a few feathers but thankfully no serious injuries or losses. My babies (4 weeks) are doing well and the older members of the flock are doing very well around them with supervision. I did lose one randomly the other day but I have no idea what caused it. My guess is choking. It was my Ameraucana chick that I had purchased to replace the one we lost to those same two dogs a few months back. If I could gather my wits enough to get the airsoft gun those dogs would be getting a pop in the hieny. I would rather not shoot to kill unless I have to, but I am getting close.

Anyways, 4 more weeks or so and I should be getting some eggs!

I have a perimeter fence for my dogs with a remote shock button. It sounds cruel, but so is murdering a chicken. My older dog has never bothered the birds much, but we have a puppy that is slowly learning not to chase them. I think an airsoft gun would be perfect, they probably won't even feel it, maybe enough to stop and wonder what hit them. We used to shoot each other with airsoft guns, I am sure the dogs will be fine :)

I read back through quite a few, but missed some posts. I went out to trim the wings of my birds, they are free range, but we can't have them hopping into neighbor's yards, lol. Anyway, I posted my double yolker from my Austrolorp back when mine finally laid first week of this month. It was her only egg so far. I noticed she had a large breast and felt it today, it is sour crop :( I am so upset. So, I guess that explains why she isn't laying? Right? haha, maybe she has more problems than just that. This AM I went out and puked her, all I did was flip her upside down, her crop was so full it came running out all on it's own, NASTY! I then syringed some home made yogurt down her throat, hopefully. Since I did that she has been hanging out at the back door staring in at me. I think she loves me :) I hope we can get it fixed. Going to go out for some monistat in a little while. I read it works and I want to get her healthy!
Forgive my new-chicken-owner ignorance, but what is sour crop??

I'm waiting on my silver laced wyandottes, black ameracaunas, white rocks, comets and columbian wyandottes to start laying. The Roos are all crowing, but no mating behavior yet. I couple leghorn pullers have started laying. I find a smaller sized egg here and there out where they free range. Happy waiting everyone!!

Forgive my new-chicken-owner ignorance, but what is sour crop??

I didn't know about it until this morning. It is a yeast infection in the crop. Usually caused by a piece of food that got stuck and then 'rotted' essentially. There are several threads here, one where a guy used monistat to treat it in his chickens. It sounds like many chickens die if left untreated. I think I caught mine in a stage where my chicken is not sick yet, so it is good. She is getting homemade yogurt and monistat now, ahaha. Never thought I would feed my chicken the good yogurt that I make.

The question of the day is whether to drain or not. I am leaning towards yes drain and then give monistat so there is less bad yeast in there for the monistat to kill off. Not sure if that is good logic, but oh well. Many say not to drain because risk of aspiration is too great. For my hen, I flipped her upside down and it just started coming out. She had her head held right side up, some still got in her nostrils? if that is what they are called.

Chickens! Who knew?

I didn't know about it until this morning. It is a yeast infection in the crop. Usually caused by a piece of food that got stuck and then 'rotted' essentially. There are several threads here, one where a guy used monistat to treat it in his chickens. It sounds like many chickens die if left untreated. I think I caught mine in a stage where my chicken is not sick yet, so it is good. She is getting homemade yogurt and monistat now, ahaha. Never thought I would feed my chicken the good yogurt that I make.

The question of the day is whether to drain or not. I am leaning towards yes drain and then give monistat so there is less bad yeast in there for the monistat to kill off. Not sure if that is good logic, but oh well. Many say not to drain because risk of aspiration is too great. For my hen, I flipped her upside down and it just started coming out. She had her head held right side up, some still got in her nostrils? if that is what they are called.

Chickens! Who knew?
I have read that a little olive oil in a syring followed by a good massage helps that problem as does apple cider vinegar-the unpasturized kind. I have not heard sour crop explained as a yeast infection so that is new to me. I always thought it was the same thing as a crop impaction? The ACV is good in their water daily. I give 1 tsp. per quart of water but I know there are some ratios out there to use for larger waterers. It is good for their digestion, etc. I don't get the monistat purpose??? Is the crop not digesting properly??

Chickens! Who knew?
Ahh I see. Sounds unpleasant! I hope it clears up in your hen soon. Never would have imagined needing to give Monistat to a chicken!

I got this lady in March when the owner asked me to take her and nurse her back to health. She got better but now either the rooster or other hens are pecking her again. My mom made her this fancy dress to help protect her back. Isnt it precious!!

Back
Top Bottom