Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I spent about an hour and half out in my yard taking pics of the tadpoles, frogs, dragonflies and I even got a few of my girls. I wanted to post one in particular for the new chicken owners that are waiting for eggs. It's the "squat" you may have seen it or heard about it. If not the "Squat" is when your chicken is coming of age or is ready to be mounted and/or breed. She will squat down and put her wings out. Your pullets and hens will do this even if you don't have a rooster. If you are seeing your girls doing this then be ready for your first egg with in about a week maybe a little longer but usually about a week. This is my Tess squatting for me today.
She is so pretty! What is she?

Mine are working on 16 weeks. I have noticed an almost daily change in combs and wattles. No squatting just yet. Nugget(rooster) has started challenging my daughter when she goes out to the coop. Nipping that.

She is so pretty! What is she?

Mine are working on 16 weeks. I have noticed an almost daily change in combs and wattles. No squatting just yet. Nugget(rooster) has started challenging my daughter when she goes out to the coop. Nipping that.

She is a Speckled Sussex. I have 5 of them and they will be 2 years old in a week they are still laying well for me.

Nskdtk she is beautiful. Do you rub their backs? Some of my girl like a nice long rub... takes forever. Others are done really quick. I believe that two of my girls even know the words... 'Egg squat' because they will stop and squat down for us when we say it. It is so funny. My Mom thought it was just funny... She did not relize what it was for. That was even more funny when I told her... though I did not laugh then.. she can be a very serious person...
It is positive... I have two roos..
. My Americana/EE on the left and on the right is a Blue Andalusian. Lucky for me the right one can go back. I had meant to get pullets and the seller has been nice enough to offer the exchange if one turned out a Roo... As for the EE... Well I was not planning to keep a Roo. It all depends on him. We had a little talk about the BBQ grill.... if he turns out to aggressive that is were he will go... He is turning out kind of pretty though. He remindes me of a pretty pieces of stone like a Jasper or.... no names...though a friend of mine wants to call him 'Nugget'... that is not that bad...
Kdwag... so sorry about the trip. I know. It is hard to do any trips with my mom any more. Someone has to be here and we don't have people to watch this many creatures either. My friend has a neighbor with kids that are old enough that she can hire... As for freezing eggs. We have an Exicutive Cheff that runs the Culinary Arts department on the campus I work at. Wonderful lady... I am always picking her brain for idea when I can. She had said to just seperate the whites from the yokes and freeze them in freezer bags. I am guessing small bags with what you might use per a recipie or two... I am not sure why you would need to seperate them...

Had to throw these in of my turkey chicks... They are almost 7 weeks old here... and growing fast. I did clip their wings for safty. They fallow me any were during free range time... even out to feed the horses. Later they should get to big to fly...

Oh funny... I did not read everything... That is so funny that you already have a roo named Nugget. Love it. Mine is not bad to us yet. Though he is 4 months old he is trying to go after some of the girls. Mostly the ones that are not ready for it. His first attempts at crowing were funny... His getting better...

Hi all, catching up. So, I wanted to go on a trip with my husband but can't find anyone to take care of these girls for the week, so I guess I'm not going. It makes me sad, it'll be the first time he's gone on a business trip that I haven't had my german shorthaired pointer here with me, snuggling with me at night and being my entertainment during the day. ugh, not looking for to it at all. We have had rain every day for the past 7 days, and there's no end in sight. It's the craziest thing ever, usually we are hot and dry this time of year. The girls have been chasing bugs and getting into trouble. My smallest barred rock has been doing the chicken limbo getting under the fence and into the front yard. -- She's a stinker and remembers the exact spot everytime. I've tried to block it but don't know how long that'll last. The coop construction has begun, but slowly due to the stupid rain, so hoping that will be done before fall. Everyone seems healthy and is laying as normal. i did freeze some eggs but couldn't get them out of the ice cube tray.? ANy suggestions. I wondered if I could spray the tray with cooking oil or something.

The chicken limbo, so funny! Mine attempted an escape the other day, only OVER the fence...she got her wings trimmed right away! Jealous of all your rain, it's going to be hot and sunny and close to 100 here this week! I ordered the chickens a misting system for their run, hopefully it will help! I've heard people have had good results with misters.

I wish you 'd get some of our rain too, the garden is so wet that when I do try and hoe, the clay soil clumps on the hoe and I can't get it in the ground. It's just crazy humid too, today is miserable and the bugs are insane! I guess by THursday this "system" is supposed to be out of here and back to our normal weather although anymore, I don't know what our normal weather is. I heard good things about the misters too. Where did you find one?

I wish you 'd get some of our rain too, the garden is so wet that when I do try and hoe, the clay soil clumps on the hoe and I can't get it in the ground. It's just crazy humid too, today is miserable and the bugs are insane! I guess by THursday this "system" is supposed to be out of here and back to our normal weather although anymore, I don't know what our normal weather is. I heard good things about the misters too. Where did you find one?
I bought ours online - from an Australian company, as that is where I am. We had already installed one of their patio misting systems a couple of years previously, so knew they were good.

The pet misting kit that I bought is down the bottom of this link. Just to give you an idea of what you are looking for, when you search online. (enter "pet misting kit" maybe).

http://www.mrmister.com.au/mistingkits/mrmistermistingkits.htm

My girls soon got used to the slight hissing noise the water makes. They can get away from it, if they want, but generally after it has been on for a few minutes, they come over and stand underneath it. It also keeps the sand really cool so works for ages. I was so pleased with it as we had such heat waves last summer. We are now having winter of course - mild so far!

All the best
Katrina

Back
Top Bottom