Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

On another post, I found a good idea. You take your gallon waterer, clean it out at night, fill the container 1/2 way with water and put it in the freezer (if you have one large enough). The next morning you add water, add the base, and that will keep it cool for quite a while. I'm going to try it tonight. It's so hot here.

This thin shelled perfect egg means I'M NOW OFFICIALLY A MOTHER HEN !!! LOLOL That's what my hubby said anyway!! I couldn't believe it. I have been keeping an artificial egg in each box and I didn't see any egg but this one so I picked it up just like I always do..to put the straw back into the box (they keep scratching it out! Is there a reason they are doing this? I think the hen who has been getting so firendly with me lately laid this one. She has been starting to hop up on the door with me each morning when I open it up and give them a treat. She also has been letting me put my hand on her to stroke her. I took the egg out and broke it into a soccer and let them have it back. I kept the shell. I keep all of mine and after they are dried out, I crush them and then let the girls have them. BUT I HAD TO SHARE MY FIRST LITTLE BROWN EGG!!

This thin shelled perfect egg means I'M NOW OFFICIALLY A MOTHER HEN !!! LOLOL That's what my hubby said anyway!! I couldn't believe it. I have been keeping an artificial egg in each box and I didn't see any egg but this one so I picked it up just like I always do..to put the straw back into the box (they keep scratching it out! Is there a reason they are doing this? I think the hen who has been getting so firendly with me lately laid this one. She has been starting to hop up on the door with me each morning when I open it up and give them a treat. She also has been letting me put my hand on her to stroke her. I took the egg out and broke it into a soccer and let them have it back. I kept the shell. I keep all of mine and after they are dried out, I crush them and then let the girls have them. BUT I HAD TO SHARE MY FIRST LITTLE BROWN EGG!!
You didn't give them the egg raw did you? If so that's not a good idea they can take a liking to raw egg and start breaking open and eating every egg laid. But CONGRATS on the first egg!!

Hi all! :ya

I'm still new to this forum, and I thought i'd chime in a little on this thread with a mini introduction, and join in on the wait for my pullets to produce!

A few weeks ago we got 3 16Week Orpington Pullets, and unfortunately my young dog thought they were play toys. Two got squished in his abundance of love and playfulness. So, we were left with one very sad, depressed pullet. I spoke with the breeder and got 2 more Orp pullets that are 1 week older than the survivor, and 2 White Leghorns to tie us over until our Pullets start to lay, as we were desperately waiting for eggs, though know it's still a bit of a wait!

The Leghorn's are about 12mo old and are already laying wonderfully. They haven't missed a day since we brought them home, and are producing great, L/XL eggs.

(Farm Egg on Left, Storebought Large Egg on Right)

I've been waiting for the weather to warm up before the Leghorns get bathed, and they are missing quite a fair amount of feathers from Roo's and other chickens.. so they're a little frumpy looking right now :p We've had them since last Friday.

Pepe:

This is one of the replacement Orps that I got, however with further inspection I contacted the breeder to find she's one of her "accidents" that she failed to weed out. She's a Maran/Orpington, but I still love her nonetheless! She is 19 weeks, and has the most comb/waddle development of the 3 pullets.

Meet Tessie:

And to show her comb and waddle development, this was taken at 18 weeks.

In the middle here, we have our second replacement Orp. She's a little more shy, but very friendly. She's also 19 weeks. (on the right is Farva - see below)

Here's Bessie:

And last, my little problem child.. this little girl and I had issues from the get-go, because she's a complete Houdini, and she was a little more aggressive when we first brought her home. She had a ridiculous tail feather situation before one of these new hens pulled it out, and hubby decided to name her miss Farva Ramrod (if you've seen Super Troopers.... :lol:) She's 18 weeks and significantly smaller than the other two as you can see in the photo above.

Because we only had pullets, we didn't rush to put in nesting boxes... so when the last minute opportunity arose to bring home 2 laying hens, we had to make do with what we had... so our nesting box is temporarily a cardboard box! They don't seem to mind though. We will be doing some coop modifications in the next week or so, and proper nesting boxes are at the top of the list!

I'm really anxious for the pullet's to start laying.. maybe it's because the leghorns were already laying before I got them it doesn't feel like 'mine' so much? Though.. I still get very excited every morning around 10AM to find two warm eggs!! :lau :yesss:

I checked the dates again and my White Leghorn is just 17 weeks so maybe we do still have a few more weeks of waiting. However she is squatting and her comb and wattles have gotten very red. She has also become very friendly over the last few weeks. She seems to like to be touched and will come running to me when I come out. Here are a few photos as she's grown.

So while I was out at the coop hand feeding my cross-beak EE this morning, there was some serious ruckus going on in the coop. I noticed that 2 of my girls weren't out with the rest waiting for their morning treat. I peeked through the window and 1 EE and 1 Buff Orp were staring at me from the roost. The EE was just going crazy squaking and making noise and was walking along the roost all hunched and squatted down. I mean she "ba-gock"ed so loud my hubby heard it from the house and came out to see what was going on! She is 17 weeks old so it seems a little early for her to be laying. But I have to wonder if she is getting ready! The BO was also squatted on the roost and acting weird, but she is only 15 weeks....no way is she laying yet! What do you think?? What are the signs of an impending egg other than bigger and redder comb/wattles (since both of these birds have no combs or wattles!) I hope they are ok!

So while I was out at the coop hand feeding my cross-beak EE this morning, there was some serious ruckus going on in the coop. I noticed that 2 of my girls weren't out with the rest waiting for their morning treat. I peeked through the window and 1 EE and 1 Buff Orp were staring at me from the roost. The EE was just going crazy squaking and making noise and was walking along the roost all hunched and squatted down. I mean she "ba-gock"ed so loud my hubby heard it from the house and came out to see what was going on! She is 17 weeks old so it seems a little early for her to be laying. But I have to wonder if she is getting ready! The BO was also squatted on the roost and acting weird, but she is only 15 weeks....no way is she laying yet! What do you think?? What are the signs of an impending egg other than bigger and redder comb/wattles (since both of these birds have no combs or wattles!) I hope they are ok!

She's getting ready!! My EE was my second one to lay, right behind my silkie at around 19 weeks. It's funny - all their personalities and they way they deal with this strange thing happening to them. My naked neck turken is hilarious. She is so noisy - she constantly rants walking in and out of the hen house. She has only laid her first 2 eggs so far and was getting ready for her third this morning. Wait until they all sing the egg song... here is a picture of my first flock - the silkie peeking out of the house is the one who is so proud of having just laid, and all the other chickens, including the roosters, joined in the celebration!

As for other signs, squatting a lot - especially when you reach out to them.

This morning I let the chickens out, and my two layers don't usually do the deed until around 10-11AM. I went back out around 930 and was doing some yardwork and there was some god awful noises (really, really loud BAAA-COOOOCK!'S) coming from the coop. Worried something was wrong (as my layers are generally relatively quiet except for the 1 who likes to announce her beautiful egg to the world shortly after - though it's more of a constant 'cluck' than anything), I poked my head in to find one of Orpingtons in there (very, very unusual) sitting there across from the hen who was in the nest box, squatting. No egg from her, and she didn't stick around long after I told her what a good girl she was - back out she went - but I think she's getting closer!

Last edited:
She's getting ready!! My EE was my second one to lay, right behind my silkie at around 19 weeks. It's funny - all their personalities and they way they deal with this strange thing happening to them. My naked neck turken is hilarious. She is so noisy - she constantly rants walking in and out of the hen house. She has only laid her first 2 eggs so far and was getting ready for her third this morning. Wait until they all sing the egg song... here is a picture of my first flock - the silkie peeking out of the house is the one who is so proud of having just laid, and all the other chickens, including the roosters, joined in the celebration!

As for other signs, squatting a lot - especially when you reach out to them.

Aww! That pic is so cute with them all standing around celebrating! I've done really good to not get too excited about it so far since I may still have awhile to go before seeing an egg. But after seeing/hearing her this morning...I'm going crazy with anticipation!

Hi all!
ya.gif

I'm still new to this forum, and I thought i'd chime in a little on this thread with a mini introduction, and join in on the wait for my pullets to produce!

A few weeks ago we got 3 16Week Orpington Pullets, and unfortunately my young dog thought they were play toys. Two got squished in his abundance of love and playfulness. So, we were left with one very sad, depressed pullet. I spoke with the breeder and got 2 more Orp pullets that are 1 week older than the survivor, and 2 White Leghorns to tie us over until our Pullets start to lay, as we were desperately waiting for eggs, though know it's still a bit of a wait!

The Leghorn's are about 12mo old and are already laying wonderfully. They haven't missed a day since we brought them home, and are producing great, L/XL eggs.

(Farm Egg on Left, Storebought Large Egg on Right)

I've been waiting for the weather to warm up before the Leghorns get bathed, and they are missing quite a fair amount of feathers from Roo's and other chickens.. so they're a little frumpy looking right now
tongue.png
We've had them since last Friday.

Pepe:

This is one of the replacement Orps that I got, however with further inspection I contacted the breeder to find she's one of her "accidents" that she failed to weed out. She's a Maran/Orpington, but I still love her nonetheless! She is 19 weeks, and has the most comb/waddle development of the 3 pullets.

Meet Tessie:

And to show her comb and waddle development, this was taken at 18 weeks.

In the middle here, we have our second replacement Orp. She's a little more shy, but very friendly. She's also 19 weeks. (on the right is Farva - see below)

Here's Bessie:

And last, my little problem child.. this little girl and I had issues from the get-go, because she's a complete Houdini, and she was a little more aggressive when we first brought her home. She had a ridiculous tail feather situation before one of these new hens pulled it out, and hubby decided to name her miss Farva Ramrod (if you've seen Super Troopers....
lol.png
) She's 18 weeks and significantly smaller than the other two as you can see in the photo above.

Because we only had pullets, we didn't rush to put in nesting boxes... so when the last minute opportunity arose to bring home 2 laying hens, we had to make do with what we had... so our nesting box is temporarily a cardboard box! They don't seem to mind though. We will be doing some coop modifications in the next week or so, and proper nesting boxes are at the top of the list!

I'm really anxious for the pullet's to start laying.. maybe it's because the leghorns were already laying before I got them it doesn't feel like 'mine' so much? Though.. I still get very excited every morning around 10AM to find two warm eggs!!
lau.gif
yesss.gif
Aww, they are all so pretty. What breeds are the black ones?

Back
Top Bottom