Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I have one RIR in a mixed flock. She is 22 weeks old and her comb and wattles have been red for about 4 weeks, like seriously red. No eggs yet, though! I have checked the backyard thoroughly and no hidden eggs. How long after the reddening does the laying start? I am beside myself with anticipation!

Wow, it's been a long time since I checked in! So much fun to read the first egg stories...congratulations to all!
Hey xhoshin, I'm so glad to hear from you. It's been a busy summer right? My 3 girls are slowing down a bit on their egg laying, sometimes I get 0 eggs and some days I get 3 but like you, i give away a lot. They don't appear to be molting so maybe next year? They turned a year old on 9/4. I went back to work full time and miss seeing them during the day. I tried keeping them locked up in their run during the day and letting them out when I got home, but they were miserable and trying to escape, sometimes doing it successfully, so I now let them out just before I leave and my husband checks them when he comes home around 4. So far, they are just fine, so I hope it continues. They are far happier. We also got a new german shorthaired puppy, so he's been a handful but love him so much. still miss our old boy and i see a lot of him in the youngster. i think they would have been friends. anyway, glad to hear from you and glad your chick chicks are also thriving.

Hi everyone. It is so good to see some names I remember and new people to remind us of our first girls. I have been busy as well but I try to lurk every once in a while. I have 9 girls laying right now.... but I have not yet had a 9 egg day. My 3 hold outs are two 6 month old Blue Andalusian that may need more time and a 24 week old Americana/EE . I so want to know what color her eggs are going to be. My two other girls give me blue eggs... a darker blue would be nice or a green... It's just exciting all over again. I did not have that long of a wait for my other two Americana/EE.
I do have two accidental Roos.... they are doing fine. They do not fight and they have not been aggressive to people at all. One may still end up on the grill though... The other Roo helped scare a hawk during free range time so who knows.... maybe I will keep one. It all depends...
It is great to see you xshoshin and kdwag congrats on the new pup. My two oldest girls are doing a mini molt... but they still have time. I get any were between 3 to 8 eggs a day. G

I am back on the waiting list again....... all my hens are molting right now. So far this month I have gotten 4 eggs out of my 7 hens. Last month I only got 50. This sucks, my DH even said the dreaded "buy store bought eggs" comment today. I refuse, but I only have 3 eggs left. ugh I hate this.

I am still waiting on 3 girls to start laying. They are hitting 6 and 7 months old... One is an Americana/EE and the other 2 are Blue Andalusians. I have to get some pics of the Blue Roo... he is so pretty. My two oldest girls have started molting. Goodness they look funny and sad. But they still lay a little. They are my 2 older Americanas/EE that survived the dog attack last year. They younger girls are so making up of it all. I have 9 laying girls right now. So we are lucky we have plenty of eggs.
My Turkey hen that was injured by that dog last year... she layed last year even when she was healing. She has started laying again. We go a beautiful cream egg with brown speck. Hope she lays a few more.
Nakstk... is there any people around you with Chickens? It might make it easier to buy from them then from the store.... what about a farmers market? We get vendors with free range chickens at some of ours. Good luck....

Not a lot going on with our little blog , where is everyone? I have bad news, I lost my partridge plymouth rock, Liza, to a flying predator. I'm so sad. I'm now down to 2 from my original 4. The other 2 are fine but do you think they realize she's gone? i started back to work full time and was leaving them out all day to free range which probably was a bad idea, but, they were so much happier. So, I guess the other 2 will lose their unsupervised free range privileges. :(

I waiting on my avatar splash wheatan ameraucana to lay...blue eggs have STILL evaded me :/
I think its a rough time of year to come in to lay with the light change? Nature tells them to hold out.
A few people told me a pullet I have might be delayed until after January. Doh.
I have added light but only just recently and it takes a bit to get that hormone flowing to trigger laying again
My Americauna is somewhere between 30 and 36 weeks old and still isn't laying. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi guys! i have 13 chickens that range from 27-33 weeks old
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom