Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I know, trust me, I wouldn't shoot anything-- unless I had to but Im not a killer of any creature, I feel bad when I have to kill a bug. :( needless to say, i'm in serious trouble if I ever need to thin my flock (of 2 birds--Ha ha) . I think if I'm going to let them free range, I just need to make sure there is all sorts of things they can hide under out in the yard- it's pretty wide open from the coop to the trees where they like to be in the summer, I didn't plan well when we built the coop as far as location goes so I need to start trying to figure it out .

Hawks are just about the only predator I haven't had problems with. Roosters make pretty good warning systems for hawk attacks as well. He'll let your girls know when to hide. I've also heard other chicken folks tell stories of roosters fighting off hawks. So maybe you need a big bad rooster :D

Personally, I've come to terms with a certain amount of loss that goes along with free ranging. I lose a chicken or two every year. But they're so much happier and healthier when they free range. I love watching them play in the yard.. I have a pretty large covered run, but they look so sad, watching me through the fence. But I only let mine out to free range when I'm home, so mostly just the weekends.

That 2nd one from the right looks like my eggs from my RIR? but so does the one right next to it to its left, depending on the day. Ha ha
Thank you,,,,,I opened my nest box this am and found my brahma in the box. she was getting ready to lay. I went ahead and pulled two eggs out from under her and they were the ones like you said were the RIR....so I think you are right.. I'm going back out and check the eggs.. now it will be down to figuring out the other two. LOLOL

Thanks everyone for the good rain wishes. We had a little bit of rain the other night. Wonderful. And we should have a little more on Monday. Thanks again.
I do let my boys and girls out for free-range time... but only when I am home and can spend most of that time with them. They have a good sized run but you are all right... the sad looks they give me.... We all love to see them run around and doing chicken stuff... LOL. We do have some birds of prey and they have been taking some of the wild pidgins. I have been thrilled with that... though I have to clean up after ...My two roos and I keep an eye out for them when it is free-range time. That is why I am thinking of keeping one Roo. Blue Andalusian

Americana / EE

They have decided who is in charge with only a little arguing. It is the Andalusian... And he is so pretty. Both are not people aggressive... hard choice but... I think the American/EE will be one of the guest of honors at a BBQ... I have raised turkeys and put them down...so I can do it. Sad, but technically I am only allowed 1 rooster per acre. I have 1.5 acres...

They are both beautiful, how big is your Andaulasian? (sp) He looks gigantic !! Hope you get more rain. We got snow yesterday, followed by 8 hours or so of rain (on top of the 12 inches already on the ground by the snow storm a week ago) followed by 3" of snow this morning. ! crazy Another snow storm set to hit us Tuesday/Wednesday. On the plus side, it's in the upper 20s today no wind and feels downright tropical. The chickens have gotten to go outside two days in a row now, I think they are happy. .

Oh wow kdwag, Wow could we use some of your rain and snow.... Our snow pack in our mountain ranges is so bad... they said that it could rain every other day until May and we would still be in trouble. We did get some rain the other day and we are due for some more later this week. We are keeping our fingers crossed... February and March can be rainy for us... Hopefully we can catch-up a little.
Thanks about the Roos;) The Andalusian is ... I am not sure how big... He is bigger then the girls but I have not picked him up in a long time....He is not as big as you think;) I think it is in his personalty;) I will try to get a pic with him and the girls.

All 7 of my hens have decided they dont need to lay anymore. I was getting at least 1 egg a day up til the 27th of Jan and then they stopped. I noticed that one of my Wellies is doing a minor spring molt for some reason. She is the same one that did a Spring molt last year too. I am thinking about taking this time to worm them all.

This was posted by Krazy Acre Rabbitry & Game Birds on FB and I couldn't find them on here but I thought it was the cutest .....and ....funniest cutie.....Just had to share. Hope they will be ok with me doing that.....

Oh that is cute. I thought my barred rock was getting close to laying again, but she's seemed a little "off" the last few days like maybe she's getting an upper respiratory infection or something, although she did eat oatmeal and blueberries yesterday and this morning she was picking at her layer feed, so I dunno, maybe she has a cold?? I have left the heater on the last few nights so she doesn't have to work so hard to stay warm. Another snow storm today -- and just waiting for a break in the weather so I can go to work-- the winter that won't stop. LOL

That chick pic is way toooo cute. I love it.
When I was out feeding yesterday I heard something fun way over head.... Geese.. A huge flock was flying over my home heading north. I guess they did not get the memo about 6 more weeks of winter. I would trust the instinct of animals... spring is just around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom