Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hawks are just about the only predator I haven't had problems with. Roosters make pretty good warning systems for hawk attacks as well. He'll let your girls know when to hide. I've also heard other chicken folks tell stories of roosters fighting off hawks. So maybe you need a big bad rooster :D

Personally, I've come to terms with a certain amount of loss that goes along with free ranging. I lose a chicken or two every year. But they're so much happier and healthier when they free range. I love watching them play in the yard.. I have a pretty large covered run, but they look so sad, watching me through the fence. But I only let mine out to free range when I'm home, so mostly just the weekends.
I have a Hawk that hangs around but my chickens are so big I don't think it could pick them up! And my Roos set off alarm every time he comes around.

That picture is adorable!

So over the last week, my hens have really starting laying. I think I now only have 2 hens who haven't started laying yet. I'm going to set my first batch in the incubator on Thursday! I'm trying to get some olive eggers.

Spring seems so far away. The first sign I usually see here is a flock of ducks that turn up in the river next to the house sometime in February. They stay until the fall, nest on the bank, hatch little ducklings...omg they're so cute. They play in the river regardless of how cold it is. I swear the colder it is, the happier they are. They make SUCH a racket. I can't wait until they turn up this year.

That picture is adorable!

So over the last week, my hens have really starting laying. I think I now only have 2 hens who haven't started laying yet. I'm going to set my first batch in the incubator on Thursday! I'm trying to get some olive eggers.

Spring seems so far away. The first sign I usually see here is a flock of ducks that turn up in the river next to the house sometime in February. They stay until the fall, nest on the bank, hatch little ducklings...omg they're so cute. They play in the river regardless of how cold it is. I swear the colder it is, the happier they are. They make SUCH a racket. I can't wait until they turn up this year.
When I get my spring pullets, I'll be back here, waiting for my new eggs again....See you then....

That picture of the hatching chick with shell stuck on its head has had me chuckling all day:D
My hens are laying again! Four out of five molted and we'd get maybe one egg a day for a couple of months...now we're averaging four a day with frequent everyone in the pool days.
I have suffered no losses...my condolences to those that have. Our biggest problem is dirty butts so I can't complain at all.
We've had some rain here in SoCal..always welcome...but man it makes it hard to keep the chicken run clean. And why is it my chickens (who drink just fine from their fancy new watering contraption) always run immediately to the potted plants to drink out of the saucers? Silly birds.
My neighbors love getting the eggs. I had a nervous time last month...our next door neighbor moved and I was petrified we'd get someone who hated hearing the chickens. Lucky again! Sandy (my new neighbor) told me she always buys free range organic chicken eggs because she just can't stand how badly factory laying hens are treated here...so she really enjoys hearing my happy hens...even when they are bickering or having a loud chorus of egg song. I keep her generously supplied with eggs...it is such a joy to have good neighbors!!!
Speaking of birds...we've been adopted by a ringneck dove...its tail has been damaged and it doesn't fly well, so we've brought it in to take care of it. Really sweet bird. I was half tempted to house it with the hens but I'm afraid they will not accept it. So it's in a big cage in the house and provides the felines with mesmerizing cat TV. And makes the sweetest cooing sounds.
Time to start thinking about gardening. I've just put in a grape vine juvenile...have started some sweet peas and cosmos, but I think what I really want to do is turn my backyard into raised beds...boy the hens would love that! I'll have to do some fencing while growing people food then they could have it all at the end of the season.
Wow, I have rambled on and on here! What's new with y'all?

Hi everyone!

The girls are all back laying again... woo hoo! I have 9 hens, and after their molts they are all looking fluffy and healthy again. My two Barred rocks have started with their nasty bottoms again, why is it just the two of them have this?? I got out of adding the Apple Cider Vinegar to their water perhaps I should start that up again. They are all laying again, happy to report that my Amerucana hen FINALLLY started laying after a looonnnnggggg break. She felt sick a few days early last fall,, and just stopped laying. Then when she did start laying this year, they were all soft shell balloon eggs. Happy to report though the last 3 weeks she has been giving me nice, hard shelled fairly deep blue eggs. This has prompted me to buy an incubator. I want to try and set some eggs this week. My rooster is a black/Lavender split Amerucana. His father was a beautiful John Blehm lavender roo. He is just beautiful. I hope that I can get some babies to hatch, and that at least two are females. I also want to work on getting some olive eggers and BlackCopper Marans for some dark chocolate eggs! I thought it would be neat to get a white egg layer too. Any suggestions on a good breed that lays white eggs? Something that is a good free range bird who also has a calm personality.

Brooster, you will have to give me some advice on how to integrate the babies into my current flock, and what age to do that.

I have to go back and spend some time reading all the posts I have missed. So happy to see the original gang here, and also of course, the new people too.

Come on SPRING< I know you can do it!

MB

This girl was freeloading for a bit. I was worried, this is her 1st full year...

Then I followed the brat...

Ha! Holding out!

So its been off n on rain, heat and what not and I hate to waste them so scrambled them up with garlic and added the crushed shells and fed them a dinner treat :)

This girl was freeloading for a bit. I was worried, this is her 1st full year...

Ha! Holding out!

So its been off n on rain, heat and what not and I hate to waste them so scrambled them up with garlic and added the crushed shells and fed them a dinner treat
smile.png

Lol! She's so pretty!

What a nice surprise, and what a treat for your sweeties!

Ha! Holding out!

So its been off n on rain, heat and what not and I hate to waste them so scrambled them up with garlic and added the crushed shells and fed them a dinner treat
smile.png
What an absolutely perfect spot to lay eggs in! I don't blame her for going there, and not her nesting box! I wish one of my girls would go broody.. I am anxiously waiting for 7 eggs to hatch in my incubator. Your spot there would be the perfect place for a broody. She is a beautiful girl too! Nice treat for them. I have been also spreading organic sea kelp from Treats for Chickens on my prepared treats. They gobble it up!

MB

Last edited:
Angelicisi, your girl is gorgeous. And your yard looks stunning.
Happy to see people here again. I hope all is well. I really did miss hearing everyone's stories. When ever I would hear of weather reports of major storms in any of your areas I wished for your safety. Very relieved that spring is on the way for the rest of you.
My girls are doing very good but I am worried due to them not really taking a break. Our weather has been so warm this winter it seems that they started to molt, but never stopped laying. They don't seem to be able to grow back their feathers. I ordered some aprons for the worst of the girls.... not sure that was a molt or the fault of the Roo's. I have 2 Roos.... a Blue Andalusian and a EE/Americana. The Andalusian is to pretty... We may keep him and cull the EE.... I just don't need 2 Roos for 11 girls. And with all of them is a beautiful male pheasant we may call Phrank ;) I adopted him from one of our local animal shelters. I will try to get pics soon.
So happy to see everyone.

Back
Top Bottom