Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

lau.gif
caf.gif
email them!!
lau.gif

We are 23 weeks and three days old. Mine have been flappy and noisy today. One stayed in the little crate for a bit alone. I thought we were getting an egg, but still nothing. I let mine free range for an hour or so last night for the first time. May again tonight. They seemed really happy to be out, cute little group strolling around together.

Mine didn't really do the squatting thing until just before they started laying. All ten of my older pullets are Barred Rocks. Not sure if all are laying yet. But I have gotten 7 eggs today, so I know at least 7 are laying. Last night I dreamed I got 8 eggs today. Isn't it funny I would dream about how many eggs they are laying. Must be obsessed. They definitely mature at their own rates. My younger pullets are Cream Legbars and Cream Legbar mixed with White Leghorn and one BLRW. They are 4 and 5 weeks younger respectively. Only a couple of them are starting to get pinker combs and wattles. But it seems to happen almost overnight. Now that I've got a basket full of little brown eggs I'm starting to get excited about the idea of some blue ones.

I have two Barred Rocks and a Rhode Island Red that people on this forum have identified as a "Production Red."

Both Barred Rocks were hatched on April 5.
The RIR hatched on April 12.

The largest BR has been laying now for about a week.
She was squatting for 2 weeks before that, but she's rather tame.

The other two won't let me get near enough to see if they'll squat.
The other BR is quite a bit smaller than the girl that's laying.

Anyway, I'm starting to get weary of waiting.
I'm threatening them with Chicken and Dumplings!
I wish they'd lay - bad birdies!

I got mine to lay within a week of serious threats haha. Told them that each week I went without eggs I would have to eat one of them

We are 23 weeks and three days old. Mine have been flappy and noisy today. One stayed in the little crate for a bit alone. I thought we were getting an egg, but still nothing. I let mine free range for an hour or so last night for the first time. May again tonight. They seemed really happy to be out, cute little group strolling around together.
I just caught up on what I missed....So Very happy for you and your hen. Very relieved....
wee.gif

It is so much fun to let them out for a short free-range time. They are safe and they still get to experience running around and being a normal chicken. Our girls have sort of learned to tell time;) They line up and get ready for Mom or I to let them out. And they expect it now. If we are late... ohhh hearing them complain... Love our girls.

I just caught up on what I missed....So Very happy for you and your hen. Very relieved.... :weee    
  It is so much fun to let them out for a short free-range time.  They are safe and they still get to experience running around and being a normal chicken. Our girls have sort of learned to tell time;) They line up and get ready for Mom or I to let them out. And they expect it now. If we are late... ohhh hearing them complain... Love our girls. 
That's so cute. I didn't let mine out today because I am trying to get them to use the new waterer no luck yet. We keep clicking the nipple things.

Still no eggs, but the chickens finally figured out their new waterer. It's funny watching them all line up to use it. It's nice now to just have to fill the cooler every couple of days. I made vegetable soup so they got a big pile of vegetable scraps.

Still no eggs, but the chickens finally figured out their new waterer. It's funny watching them all line up to use it. It's nice now to just have to fill the cooler every couple of days. I made vegetable soup so they got a big pile of vegetable scraps. 

Maybe as a token of gratitude for the scraps thy will give you an egg ;)

Back
Top Bottom