Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I went in the chicken coop, no eggs. Went to the run and BAM! ANOTHER egg! This one is just a little smaller than a regular store bought. 3 eggs so far today and none have ever laid before!

None here yet. Mine are 24 weeks old. My roo keeps crowing.
I know at 24 weeks you are probably getting anxious. I was a little surprised that mine started at just over 20 weeks. My blue egg layers are almost 20 weeks now and I don't think that they will be laying as early as the Barred Rocks did. Also, even though my first barred rock started laying at 20 weeks some of them didn't start till around 3 weeks later. Guess like people they all mature at their own rate. At least it's weeks difference and not years. Hope you get those eggs soon.

I know at 24 weeks you are probably getting anxious. I was a little surprised that mine started at just over 20 weeks. My blue egg layers are almost 20 weeks now and I don't think that they will be laying as early as the Barred Rocks did.  Also, even though my first barred rock started laying at 20 weeks some of them didn't start till around 3 weeks later.  Guess like people they all mature at their own rate.  At least it's weeks difference and not years.  Hope you get those eggs soon.
Well, I know that they will lay sooner or later. I read somewhere that it is close to six months with wyandottes so if that is the case, it could be a week or two. Anyhow, I am not stressing or anything.

One of my easter eggers first egg came out like this:

Whoops! Her second egg couldn't have been more perfect though. I have officially got at least 6 layers as I got 12 eggs between two days (we were out of town from yesterday afternoon until this afternoon) woot!

My three 21 week olds have left the grow out stall and I have put them in to the coop where they will be living with their new boyfriend, my black Ameraucana roo named Clarke. They have free ranged with him, and they knew each other, and I thought I better do it now, before the two 14 week old Swedish Flower Hen cockerels they were living with in the grow out stall started covering them. There would be no switching them over then. The coop with that run has 6 nesting boxes, and they are going to be locked in until they start laying, or I feel that Clarke and they have hit it off and they will be loyal to return to this coop and not the grow out stall where they have been living. If it takes a month, then it takes a month. I am also going to integrate the other babies that will join them when they are large enough.

They hadn't show signs of squatting yet, if they even will to me, as I feel with roosters and cockerels around, they really don't squat for people. lol. On Sunday I spent the entire day while Clarke free ranged, disinfecting the coop, cleaning it, powerwashing everything, new bedding, new hay in the nest boxes, and the final touch, putting the wooden eggs in each box. I had rehomed Clarke's eight 3 year old laying flock of girls. It was an emotional day on Saturday, and in the mele of trying to collect up all the girls, one of his spurs tore off. He spent all day Sunday moping around, calling out for them. I didn't think rehoming the older girls was going to effect me as much as it did, and I felt awful for placing them elsewhere but with the new goals of setting up the two new flock with these special breeds I've been wanting to start, it was a numbers game. It was also my first experience on what to do with girls as they get older, and their egg productivity starts to decline. I have to tell you, they laid for 3 full seasons, and even though I saw a decrease each year, they still were giving me 3-4 eggs a day from the 8 of them, while heading into molt. I will have a large flock with 2 roo's with 10 girls each. Then Clarke's flock of layers of 10 girls That leaves me with 34 chickens give or take a few, and it's about all I can handle. DH all ready is a bit freaked out by all the chicken poo, and I think next spring I will put up the electric chicken fence to keep them out behind the barn, where there is plenty of tall grasses and bugs to forage for.

Here is a picture of Clark, aimlessly looking for his girls. Thankfully it was only for a day, and he now has 3 girls to keep him company until more arrive

MB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom