Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

just bought 2 wyandottes that look like miniature versions of yours! I am excited to watch them grow and lay hopefully soon!
they are so friendly, my kids love them and want more.

I have four hens laying, but not regularly yet, but i am getting an egg everyday. Thinking I could get more than one today, but not yet. We have had rain for five days straight, sun will be back tomorrow, bring on the eggs.

Our first flock, four girls (2 RIR, 1 Australorp, and 1 BO) were hatched on May 19th, so they are over 5 months old, with the Australorp and one of the RIR have bright red comb and wattles but still no eggs. The red RIR seems to be pretty aggressive toward people, or maybe just me. I am not sure what she wants - food? I haven't hand fed them for a few weeks now, but she flew up to my knee one day and scratched it and maybe even pecked it, it happened too fast! It drew blood a little and I was quite surprised that she would flew up to me! Are their behaviors change when they get close to laying? Still no eggs, I am anxious to get some! The other RIR and BO still have fair pink and small wattle and comb.

We live in San Diego north county, so it's very warm, but the day is definitely getting shorter...

Mine were older when I got them, so they aren't really friendly. I have found when they free range, I can walk around them, and they don't seem nervous. Mine lay their eggs, leave the nest box, don't seem interested in what happens to them. I have picked out a couple that were still warm this week. I think mine see me and think of food, i usually bring them a little scratch or mealy worms, fruit, or something when I visit the coop. They used to run away, now they come to greet me. I still have trouble picking them up, but they aren't as nervous about me just walking around. I have never been pecked. I have a RIR rooster, but from the start, if he flaps at me, I stomp my foot and yell "NO", he backs off. I have never been pecked.

We got ours when they were 5 days old, and they sure have brought a lot of fun for us. We were out on vacation for 10 days, and the surprising behavior happened the day I got back, so maybe her way to say "never leave us behind" :)

It's funny, the same RIR always chase and wants to peck on this pair of pink clogs with all these round holes on it, not sure what's attracting her but doesn't matter who wears these, she wants to get close and then try to peck on them! Funny creatures!

We let them free range on our side yard, about 50 x 20 feet size, with our handmade coop sized 4 x 10. They don't seem to eat as much as before any more, not sure it's because they are full size now or the days getting shorter...

Still, very anxious for eggs, when will they ever come?

Maybe, she was anxious about vacation. LOL. I think in the past week, I have had four lay eggs, I know at least three are, Rosy, Elli, and Selma, but I also think maybe Gilda is too. It seems like when they lay sometimes a couple go into the coop and roost while the other one is in the nest box. Moral support maybe.

So my BO has been squatting and sitting on golf balls for a week now.... Just went out to check and opened the door I leave partially closed so she can have some "alone time" if wanted and there she was on the balls all embarrassed like "excuse me how about a little privacy!?" Silly girl.
10 minutes later the most dramatic and loud egg song.... I get SOOO excited and run down there and there it is with the other little golf balls... A perfect little egg! Our very first EVER!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
yayyy

Last edited:
So my BO has been squatting and sitting on golf balls for a week now.... Just went out to check and opened the door I leave partially closed so she can have some "alone time" if wanted and there she was on the balls all embarrassed like "excuse me how about a little privacy!?" Silly girl.
10 minutes later the most dramatic and loud egg song.... I get SOOO excited and run down there and there it is with the other little golf balls... A perfect little egg! Our very first EVER!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
yayyy
Cool Lisa! Such a pretty egg too!

1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
yayyy

Wohoo, what a pretty egg too!

No eggs for me yet today at 2:45pm! I have been hearing a coupler singers so went to have a quick peek, one is sitting on top of the next boxes (the spot where I have been finding one a day) and hen was in the nest box arranging.

Back
Top Bottom