Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Here in Nova Scotia my hubby and I got a big surprise on Sat Oct 25th.
We stopped by the chicken coop to visit the girls mid morning there was 2 beautiful eggs-one small, one large. Our first eggs. Our girls are 161/2 week old. The next day we got 1 egg and have been getting 2 eggs everyday since Really nice hard shells too.
The little devils won't leave the hay in their nesting boxes though.

Woo Hoo.. Congratulations! Lovely color.. love the coin comparison. My girls do that too, nice soft wonderful second cutting hay to lay on, and they throw it all over the floor. How many girls do you have? Just the two?

MB

MB,

Thanks for all the notes - here are some closer up pictures that I hope would be helpful -

This is Red

and here's Heaven

Red from a different angle

Closer up of the tail of Red

Sunny

And I shouldn't leave Robbin out - here she is, with Heaven photo-bombing in the front -

Correct me if I'm wrong but at 5 1/2 months shouldn't the cockerel start to have spurs as that would be the simplest defining factor for if he/she is a pullet? I had a Australorp we named Pete because we thought he was a male but surprise at 5 1/2 months it was the first one of my girls to start laying. Its comb, wattle, and body was larger it was also more aggressive then the rest of my girls.

Last edited:
Hi KingKongChicken and Marcy 54,

Thank you both for your notes - it's always exciting to see someone else's opinion as we are so new to chickens :)

I realized that I am way too obsessed with these chicks, waiting for their eggs, and trying to find out whether they are girls or boys.... so I am going to curb myself from this obsession, and just let nature and time take its course :) I just got another box of Costco Organic eggs, and stopped waiting for these girls to start.

And whenever they start, laying (hopefully) or crowing :( , I will be happy or figure out what to do then.

In the mean time, I still really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and I will keep you all posted on any new progresses as well.

I let mine out of the coop a little earlier today, my crazy poodle mix needed to go out in the dog yard. Rocky went right up to the yard, Scout was barking his fool head of and Rocky was crowing. What a racket! I was wearing my headphones, having migraine aura today, I went out to retrieve Scout. I couldn't stand that for long. No eggs today.

At 6 1/2 months, Rocky is twice as tall as my pullets.

Last edited:
Thanks Melabella,
We actually have 18 girls and Max our rooster. This is our first time to have chickens. I love them so much. They are so tame and they chat so when they see us and love to fly up on our arms. So far just the 2 laying Melabella. I am so glad to hear it is just not our girls tossing their hay around. We are such rookies we never know if we should be doing something or not. We just can't keep it in the boxes :). My hubby is there putting the hay in and they are standing beside him pulling it out as he replaces it. I think maybe we will have to put some shavings in underneath the hay so the eggs have something to land on.
They have laid eggs on the floor, then in the nesting boxes, and today back on the floor. Whatever works I guess.
Thanks for your reply.
Darlene

Back
Top Bottom