Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Rob, You and I are in the same boat. I have 4 red Sex-links and the first one started laying at 23 weeks old and then a week later the second, This was in Aug. The third one laid her first one Oct. 22 at 30 weeks and the last one laid one today. Nov. 3. How do you like that for sporadic? They were all 4 weeks old when I got them. So go figure. That's 23 weeks old for the first one and 31 weeks for the last one. Just thought I'd give you that info so you can be prepared. Chickens are a strange creature but lot's of fun and the eggs are well worth waiting for.

I have 9 girls who are all around 6 months old. I got 1 egg so far on Sunday by one of my Delawares but nothing from my other girls and no more eggs since the one I got Sunday evening. So I guess I am still playing the waiting game too. I have 5 buff Brahmas, 3 Delawares, and 1 gold laced cochin (she is more of a pet though she sits in my lap and my kids lug her around).

I have 9 girls who are all around 6 months old. I got 1 egg so far on Sunday by one of my Delawares but nothing from my other girls and no more eggs since the one I got Sunday evening. So I guess I am still playing the waiting game too. I have 5 buff Brahmas, 3 Delawares, and 1 gold laced cochin (she is more of a pet though she sits in my lap and my kids lug her around).
Just be patient, I have 16 white leghorns all passed 6 months old they started laying 3 weeks ago and I am now on 8 eggs per day.

Rob, You and I are in the same boat. I have 4 red Sex-links and the first one started laying at 23 weeks old and then a week later the second, This was in Aug. The third one laid her first one Oct. 22 at 30 weeks and the last one laid one today. Nov. 3. How do you like that for sporadic? They were all 4 weeks old when I got them. So go figure. That's 23 weeks old for the first one and 31 weeks for the last one. Just thought I'd give you that info so you can be prepared. Chickens are a strange creature but lot's of fun and the eggs are well worth waiting for.
You are so right sssharon chickens are strange creatures and more fun than I ever immagined, they are so much fun I have started an extension to house another 20, i'm on 8 eggs a day now, my wife looked strange at me when I said I am going to get some ckickens now she is more eggcited than me, she addvertised on her facebook....fresh eggs for sale......within minutes she got orders for 4 trays of 30......hahaaha I said where you gonna get them from she said the other 8 are going to start laying tomorow....this is great fun I love it
love.gif

Just be patient, I have 16 white leghorns all passed 6 months old they started laying 3 weeks ago and I am now on 8 eggs per day.

I'm being patient. Got one more egg today, probably by the same chicken, one of my Delawares. It's well worth the wait in my opinion I am having fun just hanging out with them.

Wow! Do I ever have egg on my face LOL! Here I have been worried about when my chickens (1 RIR, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Australorp) would start laying. Rhett, the RIR, is the friendliest, and I was worried because she kept flying over the fence and would be gone until morning; not coming to roost in the evening. Well, last night, we discovered her "brooding" in the bushes of the raised flowerbed on the outside of our front covered porch. 23 eggs!
Oh my word! What did you do with all those eggs? Is she really trying to brood and sit on them? That is amazing! Especially this time of year or do you live somewhere warm? Congrats either way!

Put curtains on the nests,

Racer just started squatting for me (she's 24 weeks) and was really looking like I was going to get a first egg today :)

My new girls are now 22 weeks and all are getting along well :)

My 2 oldest girl are 26 weeks and nothing :(

that curtain fabric is hysterical..such a cute idea. Lovin those big white girls.. what breed are they? Only one of my three 26 week olds are laying. My white maran Aurora has given me an egg every other day since she started three weeks ago. tick, tock, tick, tock....Lovely green sheen on Racer too.
Look what I finally found in the nest box!
Right where it should be in a nice nest of straw was this little gem. Pretty olive color. It's small but not too tiny and well formed...not bad for a 1st egg.

One of these nice ladies finally decided to start laying. At about 27 weeks I was starting to wonder if I would ever see an egg. Now if she'll just teach the others...

Oh my gosh.. seeing that picture makes me so excited for my olive eggers to start laying. That is a beautiful egg. What breeds are those girls, very interesting looking and healthy looking!

sssharon, that is pretty spread out for red sex links.. they are usually so early. I think this time of year things are just screwy in general. I loved my red sex link from my first flock she was so dependable, and such a great layer. I have an Austra White, that is touted to lay as early as 16 weeks.. I think she is taking after the australorp instead of the leghorn and is still holding at 27 weeks with no egg at all.

Quote:
I'm being patient. Got one more egg today, probably by the same chicken, one of my Delawares. It's well worth the wait in my opinion I am having fun just hanging out with them.
I too am waiting for 2 27 week olds.. a Speckled Sussex and an Austra White. THey are huge, big red comb and wattles and zip.. nada. The one girl that is laying is giving me an egg every other day so I am grateful for that. I have over 35 other young birds growing out all of varying ages. Come spring I know I will be rolling in eggs but for now it's going to be a looonnnngggg winter. I sometimes don't get anything done, pulling up a bench in the grow out stall watching them and their behavior. I have 8 roos in the babies growing out all ready that I can tell and can only keep 2 so I will have to find homes for all the others.

Thanks for all the updates everyone, I have enjoyed reading up on all your birds.

MB

Oh my word! What did you do with all those eggs? Is she really trying to brood and sit on them? That is amazing! Especially this time of year or do you live somewhere warm? Congrats either way!

that curtain fabric is hysterical..such a cute idea. Lovin those big white girls.. what breed are they? Only one of my three 26 week olds are laying. My white maran Aurora has given me an egg every other day since she started three weeks ago. tick, tock, tick, tock....Lovely green sheen on Racer too.
Oh my gosh.. seeing that picture makes me so excited for my olive eggers to start laying. That is a beautiful egg. What breeds are those girls, very interesting looking and healthy looking!

sssharon, that is pretty spread out for red sex links.. they are usually so early. I think this time of year things are just screwy in general. I loved my red sex link from my first flock she was so dependable, and such a great layer. I have an Austra White, that is touted to lay as early as 16 weeks.. I think she is taking after the australorp instead of the leghorn and is still holding at 27 weeks with no egg at all.

Quote:
I too am waiting for 2 27 week olds.. a Speckled Sussex and an Austra White. THey are huge, big red comb and wattles and zip.. nada. The one girl that is laying is giving me an egg every other day so I am grateful for that. I have over 35 other young birds growing out all of varying ages. Come spring I know I will be rolling in eggs but for now it's going to be a looonnnngggg winter. I sometimes don't get anything done, pulling up a bench in the grow out stall watching them and their behavior. I have 8 roos in the babies growing out all ready that I can tell and can only keep 2 so I will have to find homes for all the others.

Thanks for all the updates everyone, I have enjoyed reading up on all your birds.

MB
Thanks MB The white girls are Rhode Island whites :)
LOL I thought the fabric was funny too! Left over from a quilt my daughter wanted :/

Hi,
I love reading all the posts from everyone. I have a black australorp and a barred rock they are 27 weeks old and we just got our 1st eggs yesterday Nov 3. The really strange thing is only one of them squat and show signs of being ready but when I found the eggs in the nesting box there were 4 small brown eggs.
I had just cleaned the coop the day before and I really think I would have seen any eggs as I have been so anxious to get an egg.
So this will always be a puzzle to us. Anyway the eggs were small but great! Today the australorp was out in the yard free ranging and she went into the coop and into the nesting box and about 30 min later she came out. I went and looked and found a nice size egg. This was about 3pm. And we live in North Idaho. I really didn't think we would get any eggs until the spring due to the short daylight hours now.
I am so happy about her laying eggs finally. I don't think the barred rock has laid yet as she is not squatting at all.
I read that letting them roam and get excersize helps.
Anyway just be patient and you will get eggs!

Last edited:
Thanks. My girls are mixes, They all hatched from a local small scale breeder/egg producer her hens are all Silver-laced Wyandotte and her roo is an Easter Egger. She's been breeding the wyandottes for awhile concentrating on getting a robust flock that forages/free ranges well and produces a true nice dual purpose...heavy enough to have some meat for eating but still have decent egg production. She brought in an EE roo to see if she could get some colored eggs in her flock. He's new so it was a bit of a mystery what his chick would be like. I liked the idea of getting local birds that are dual purpose, well adapted to the weather here, and thought the mystery of what the chicks would turn out like and what color their eggs might be would be fun. I just posted more pics of them here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935174/photo-shoot-in-honor-of-my-flocks-1st-egg#post_14299943

So it's a bit of an experiment and I had no idea what color my girls would lay. I'm thrilled with the olive color. I can't wait to see what other colors I might get. I expect at least some will lay shades of brown like the wyandottes but I love to get some move olives and greens. I also realized I miss counted their age. They're almost 6 months, somehow I was thinking 6 months was 28 weeks not 24 (don't know what happened to my math skills). Anyway they're really 23 weeks old not 27.

What breed are your olive eggers?

1st egg yesterday. Nothing today, but somebody was in the nest box making nice round nests in the straw. Here's hoping for something in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom