Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I have one BR pullet - started with three and gave two to my friend. Now my Opal appears depressed. She stays in the nesting box mist of day. Comes out to eat. She hadn't laid an egg and it gas been almost a week. She was the head pullet and very loud. Now she is quiet. She did have an altercation with a mean crow the day after I gave her friends away. Is she lonely? It having trouble laying? Or sick? She is a about 6 months old.

I'm far from a chicken expert and those on here who have been in the 'chicken business' longer than me can give you more information, but I've always read and heard that chickens are very social animals and they need another chicken to be happy. I have four BA's and I know that where one goes, the other three follow. Seldom are they apart. If I had to guess, I would think your hen is lonely and depressed.

Someone is giving me her 1st egg today! Can't wait to see what color it's going to be!
ya.gif

GG, why did you give the other two away? I'm no authority either but it really is funny how they stick together. Whatever they started with they usually hang with, at least in my flock. I also would say she definitely needs a friend. Do you only have the one chicken?

My co-op was too small and a young couple wanted two. I originally intended to keep two and give the one to them. I am looking for a pullet for her but am worried how she will react. I put a wooden egg in the nest and she sits on it. Today she came out for about two minutes of free range and then went right back into the nest.

I have a barred rock who is 29 weeks and a black australorp same age and she has been laying for a couple weeks now. Although she seemed to take much longer to lay yesterday and I was worried. I searched online and found that when the temps are really cold (which is what we have now in Post Falls, ID) they can have a difficult time. This site said to put some moist heat in the area where they lay and they should be able to lay the egg within a couple hrs. Not sure about all this but will do if ever needed.
She did lay the egg but like I said it took her longer.
Have no idea why our other chicken has not layed at all. She follows her BFF into the nesting area and stays with her the entire time she is laying. I am concerned about the comb on the australorp as it's quite big and I read that they can get frostbite on them. I tried to put vaseline on it but she will not let me. How in the world do you get that done?
Any ideas would be helpful. I have been making them warm mash every morning and giving them corn. Right now I am baking some treats I found a recipe for that they can eat during the winter.Can't wait to see how they like it. I also thought my laying chicken would stop laying by now with the short days and cold temps???
Flock Block Substitute
2122.png

Yield: two, 8"x8" blocks

2 cups starter/grower, grower/finisher, flock raiser or layer crumbles
2 cups scratch
1 cup of any Omega3 feed supplement such as Omega Egg Maker, Omega Ultra Egg or Nutrena Feather Fixer
3 eggs, beaten well & shells, finely crushed
4 cups oatmeal
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cracked corn
3/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup Calendula petals
2 finely diced apples

1 cup applesauce
2 cups molasses
3 cups water
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or any oil)

Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease 2, 8"x8" pans well.

Mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients together. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix well.

Iam still only getting two eggs a day, seems like I should be getting more, my wyandottes were all supposed to be from the same hatch. I have had them since July 14th so four full months and they were supposed to be 16 weeks old when I got them. They have been laying for about three weeks now, I think. I got a dozen eggs last week. I think there was just one eggless day. The coop is nice and clean, I make sure the egg boxes are clean every morning. I read on one of the forums that they may not lay if they are overfed. But you have to feed them enough. I give them feed, scratch, oatmeal or scraps, I free range them a few times a week. They all look healthy. I have eight chickens.

Last edited:
Ok...........I'm confused............ I have a pen with 2EE's in it with 4 BSL, 3RSL. I've been getting a blue egg/green egg and had just 2 days ago a brown egg. Here's what I got today and yep....I checked each nest this am!!! I not only look in each nest...I put my hand in there and feel in the far corners of each one. Can a BSL or a RSL have a blue egg?

Back
Top Bottom