Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

My hens (4, 2 RIR, 1 Australorp, and 1 BO) are over 6 months old and still no eggs. Comb/wattle been developed (the RIR and Australorp) for maybe 2 months now. They sang the egg song a couple of times a few weeks back but still nothing. The days are getting quite short here but the Country store guy said first year layers may not be as affected by the shortened days... I gave up hope at this point.... Maybe they fly over the fence to lay the eggs in the neighbors! Very disappointed in them!

he.gif

Our 4 hens are 6 months old too and no eggs.... maybe they were sterilized while hatching or before we got them (at 5 days old), or the food we fed them were bad and inhibit production of eggs...

Our friend who got 5 hens from the same store at the same time, no eggs there either....

And we are in North San Diego county, so not far from OC... maybe .... maybe.....

Wow, that doesn't.'t sound encouraging. I bought mine as a week old at feed store on beach blvd in Westminster (oc ). She hsdn't developed much of a comb or wastrel yet so maybe I need to be patient. She did come out and free tenge some today. Good luck with yours -I hope they lay soon.

SEH chicks, It's real easy to get discouraged when waiting for eggs. I give my chickens hungry threatening looks and it does no good so patience is it. I finally got on egg from a chicken I bought on Sept. 20 and was told she was laying. I also purchased another chicken same day from the same person that told me the other one was laying too. So here it is two months later and I got my first out of one of the supposed layers. Talk about frustrating! I also have a black Orpington that is over 7 months old and she hasn't laid yet. So I definitely feel your pain. I would say there is probably nothing wrong with your chickens. They probably sense your frustration! Not funny I know. It over 7 months for my Buff Orpington also but it was well worth the wait. Every once in awhile she will lay me huge eggs and I mean huge, you cant shut the carton huge! She does that about every 10 days. Anyway I hope your's start laying soon.

Pretty blue egg, Debbie. Nice of your girl to give you the color you were hoping for.

Waiting is the worst. The shorter days and colder temps aren't helping any with the girls starting laying either.

I have 5 EEers that are 27 weeks. I have 3 that I'm sure are laying and 1 that I think is has just started laying but haven't confirmed it yet. One isn't showing any signs yet at all...no squatting, singing, or interest in the nest box.

I've been getting 2-3 pretty eggs each day...mostly olive shades, one more on the blue side. Today I got 3 eggs and one is a giant. Bigger than even the extra-large grocery store eggs. I suspect it's a double yolker but haven't broken it open yet. It's my 1st 'odd' egg...so I'm curious about what will be inside.
I am thrilled with her color! Thank You

Who ever thought that having chickens would be so frustrating at times. I waited and waited for eggs, then I waited for more and yesterday was the most I've had. 9 eggs, and today back to 6. The only thing I can say about that is at least it's not 4. That's where I was at for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom