Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Debbie, I have an EE that did the same thing you're talking about. She laid me around a dozen nice green eggs and then just quit. She hasn't laid an egg for a month. I don't know if she has just quit for the winter or what. I actually have some red chili pepper lights hanging in my coop. They put out just a little light. I don't get lots of eggs but from what I've heard from other people I must not be doing to bad. I get 6 to 8 eggs every day out of 14 layers. I guess that's probably not bad. Weird they would lay for a short while like that and then just stop. frustrating too!

Catsol, I assume Bo is Buff orpington, what a pretty chicken, I have a Buff and would love a white ee like that. I'll have to figure out how to get one of those. Maybe take my Bo out to my daughters house who has a white Ameraucana-EE. Would that work? Or maybe borrow her roo. Your chickens are just gorgeous!

Got 15 eggs again yesterday, the girls are really doing the thing
tongue2.gif
maybe I should get a rooster the cry in the morning here dont matter because so many people have fighting cock's they start at midnight........If I get a different breed rooster what will be the result ?

Thanks you so much Sssharon. And yes... BO did mean Buff Orpington. It is kind of funny the color she came out. She is the one chick that I was completely sure what egg she came out of. A cream BO egg... I am hoping that Iris lays olive green eggs
fl.gif

So this had to be the roo that got to that hen... He was mostly blue... Pics of Iris do not do her justice. She is a little creamy yellow in a good light. Some of her under feathers are a little bluish... I love her coloring....

The other Roo was an Andalusian

Since I have a verity of hens it has made it interesting guessing Who's-your-daddy;) I was completely surprised on the colors that I got... It has been amazing watching them grow up. Now... time for eggs:)!!!

Not sure where to go with this so I'll post it here. It's been really cold here lately (below zero) and I have one hen who wants to sleep in the nesting box at night and early each morning I go out to the nesting box and clean out the poop before the other girls can lay in it to lay an egg. Could she simply be cold and wanting to stay warm in the hay as she's only started doing this since it's turned cold? There's pine shavings on the floor of the coop and straw (hay) in the nesting box. She's the only one of the four who does this. Should I throw straw on the coop floor as well as the shavings or will this encourage the girls to lay any where in the coop and not in the nesting box? Thank you!

I don't know if I have any notes to share per se, but I have to say waiting for my girls to lay is driving me up the wall. They're 21+ weeks now and all the signs are pointing to laying soon. My aussies are bright, bright red in the combs and starting to squat compulsively anytime I'm near them. I'll take any egg I can get but I'm also secretly hoping one of my EEs will surprise me with a colorful contribution. I know a watched pot doesn't boil, but I'm out there to clean the poop board every day and lifting the lid is like a kid opening their stocking on Christmas only to find nothing but pine shavings. Then I go back 1 or 2 more times during the day, as though I'm a glutton for punishment!

Quote:
I remember those days as if they were within the past two months. That's because that was me within the past two months. The waiting in the worst but once they start laying you'll still feel like a kid a Christmas each day when you lift the lid. Two months later and I still get excited to find eggs.

I don't know if I have any notes to share per se, but I have to say waiting for my girls to lay is driving me up the wall. They're 21+ weeks now and all the signs are pointing to laying soon. My aussies are bright, bright red in the combs and starting to squat compulsively anytime I'm near them. I'll take any egg I can get but I'm also secretly hoping one of my EEs will surprise me with a colorful contribution. I know a watched pot doesn't boil, but I'm out there to clean the poop board every day and lifting the lid is like a kid opening their stocking on Christmas only to find nothing but pine shavings. Then I go back 1 or 2 more times during the day, as though I'm a glutton for punishment!
Been there done that, I found my first 3 eggs on the floor of the coop under the perch were they sleep

Back
Top Bottom